Which Viper will be the most collectable ? | FerrariChat

Which Viper will be the most collectable ?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by LightGuy, Oct 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    First, last, or something in between ?

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    97 GTS-Blue/White-The year we won LeMans. Beautiful car, low production under Dave Lutz.

3. Brewersprts

Brewersprts Karting

Aug 23, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    I'm not expert but I wouldn't think the last generation. They are the least 'viperish' IMHO. I have driven earlier vipers but not the latest so maybe that gives even less credibility to my answer. The newer vipers have all the electronics, etc... that earlier vipers didn't. Those were what made vipers unique to me. Plus the styling of the newest models isn't as good looking to me.

If I was to guess, I would say maybe the gen 2 GTS/ACR or the gen 4 ACR.

Well, those are the ones I would want the most.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    20 years from now what will people value, these will not be regular use cars.. Latest Ta or ACR. ACR because its just so exptreme TA because it blends street useability with track ability.

ACR will be the collector piece shown on lawn. TA you will be able to still drive like on rally.

Some of the earlier ones, the first bodystyle convertible and as someone said 97GTS for stylign and history..

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #5 leead1, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    I wish I knew the answer.

I have owned two Vipers. I had a 2009 and It was Viper-ish as one poster said. The chassis was nervous and it was not a car that gave the driver confidence. In my opinion it was not a great car. It was a good car and reliable.

My 2013 Viper is a much different and a better car. It has more HP at a honest 640 horses. It is a proper handling sports car while still being a beast.

I personally like the physical appearance of the older Vipers better. The newer cars have been softened but all are beautiful cars.

The newer Vipers handle and perform very well. I am no longer burned by the exhaust both while in the car and getting out of it.

Which car variation will collectors want? I guess the answer is each collector will choose and all cars will be chosen by one collector or the other.

Personally, I drive all of the cars regularly in my collection so I choose the most drive-able and fun. In my view that is the newer cars.

I now have two cars that have companies no longer in existence, Mosler and soon Viper.

I am reminded of something Jay Leno said that makes a lot of sense to me. I roughly quote Mr. LENO : "If you buy a car you like and it goes up in value, great! If it does not you still have a car that you like". This always made sense to me.

Best

Lee

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Hoping a 2016 ACR non-Extreme.

The TA version would be much more streetable but it would hard to pass on the ACR.

7. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd say the 1998 Viper GTS-R. Only 100 were made celebrating the win at Lemans in the FIA GT2. Truly rare and collectible.

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    ACR. No brainer.

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #9 DIGMAN52, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rented a red/white stripe one in Vegas about then. Fun, but the motor was very truckish, and ran out of steam above 5,000 rpm. Didn't like the high and huge center console either. It was a fun couple of days playing with it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    1992 - First year of production and only 285 total units produced

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    + 1

If I would get another one, this would be it.

MDS

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    96 GTS, first year of the coupe (blue with white stripes). the 20th anniversary of it is next year. bought mine in 2000 with 1200 miles on it. now it has 4400 miles. all stock and not a scratch on it.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I suspect the very short run of 96 GTS would be first then slightly less the 97 both in the blue with white stripe .. I bought mine new in 97 and still have it and will keep it.. I really don't drive it much (rarely) it has about 8000 miles on it and I just like looking at it and sitting in it occasionally used to pick my 29 year old daughter up after school all the time when she was around 11 or so...lots of fun..

14. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    There were some preproduction cars that were loaned to auto shop teachers for use in their schools. There were later recalled by the manufacturer and crushed. I've heard that not all of them went back.

This will be the most collectable Viper.

I'm a huge Corvette fan but I won't be finished buying cars until I've got a Viper. I'll be after one of the last generation cars.

15. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Individual cars w/unique provenance might lead the way - the Oreca GT-3's, for example?

Production wise, the '92, '96-'97 Blue/White coupes - think there's a rare blue roadster also, GT-2 (GTS-R commemorative road car), the last ACR and likely the current ACR (looks to be kinda savage) ... they're all pretty cool!

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ the last picture is the prototype, note the side exhaust.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    1996 GTS and the last year ACR edition.

18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly that.

19. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    I agree with everyone saying the 96-02 cars will be the ones to have. The 03 and newer cars have been chasing the demand of consumers since the body style change.

20. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #21 SCFerrari, Nov 1, 2015
  21. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Easily the most collectable. Also, had many special features and extras (photos of it being built, numbered car cover,special racing belts, unique wing, etc.)

22. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Competition coupes are probably also quite collectible, if you don't mind not being able to drive them on the street.

23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    #24 Tenney, Nov 4, 2015
  24. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    I'm gonna go with none.