Car and Driver long term C7 test | FerrariChat

Car and Driver long term C7 test

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BoulderFCar, Nov 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I can't post the link because I only have hard copy. Did anyone read the C7 long term test that came out in the most recent edition? It was nothing short of a shocking disaster from the list of problems. Blown engine, axle leaks, electronic problems, air bag faults and on and on. I had a C6Z and had zero problem. The early c7 they had was a disaster.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Terrible but they stated they never had problems on any newer ones they've tested

still, I would be concerned if considering one

3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The old adage of "avoid the first year of production" of any new model still applies apparently.

Auto companies don't want cars coming back in for warranty work either so there is always a push to fix problems in the first year so that that when the second year of production rolls around there are no issues.

No matter how much you test and design, the cars on the street will find any weakness that is there. The auto companies do test and try to find and shortcomings but it's hard to make things idiot proof because idiots are so ingenious.....

If the car is a derivative of an existing car it's never as bad, but with something that is as different as a Corvette generational change you're always best off waiting to buy a year or so later. Remember that the early C5's were pretty messed up and the C6 was really a C5.2 so since there weren't as many changes the problems were fewer.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    991 gt3 engine recall
    happens to best of them

5. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
  6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    True and a Ferrari would be a disaster in a 40K magazine long term test. Still, one of the key trading points of a Corvette has always been fantastic performance and good ole American car reliability. Not the case with this car.

7. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I wouldn't worry so much. The vast majority of C7'some are very reliable.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have read it and was surprised but then again it was a early production model. I have also learned that just because a person writes for a car magazine does not mean they are a car person.

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've put 15k miles on mine ('14 z51 auto) with zero issues. Only complaint I have is I can't stop driving it. Miles are racking up fast! ;)

10. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Maybe a lemon. Had two Vettes in the past, no problems with either. But the C7 does pack more technology than ever before, so I'm sure that could introduce some issues down the road. Overall, I would say that Corvettes are the best daily driver sports cars you can buy.

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    C&D's C7 was just snake bit....
    I have a 2014 C7 (my 5th Corvette) and it has been flawless (no unscheduled stops). Goes to show that lemons DO happen.

Jimmy

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Anti lemons happen too.

Ive had 6 range rovers over last 20 yrs which are jd power least reliable cars. Guess what? No issues besides 2 broken suspension air compressors and an a/c unit. Always fixed in about a day under warranties

13. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agreed, I've had 3 BMW 750's in a row and I think the only problem was a gasket on a sunroof.

I'm thinking about buying a c7 and the awful report doesn't have an impact on my decision. I was just shocked at how awful it was.

14. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I have several friends with this car. Plenty of track miles and zero problems. Make sure to fill up the intercooler prior to a track day.

I have two C6 cars: Z06, ZR1. Zero problems. Just fantastic cars.

15. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    I had a Z51 - 2015 and now a Z06 - 2016 no problems they drive great best bang for the buck.

16. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Didn't R&T have a white long term Z51 which did just great?

I will have to dig up the issue but I remember a bunch of staffers wanting to buy the car after the long term stint was completed.

It seemed like quote an endorsement for the car's reliability given how much track time it was subjected to.

LS