Motor Trends car of the year for 2016 is the new camaro | FerrariChat

Motor Trends car of the year for 2016 is the new camaro

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JBsZ06, Nov 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    65]The 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year Is . . .
    4 Days, 26 Cars, and One *****in’ Winner.
    Jonny Lieberman/Motor Trend
    November 16, 2015

[​IMG]

Breaking!

[​IMG]

Read all about it at the above link.

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    The performance is impressive

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And then when thye do a z28 its really going to blow the doors off.
    More appealing than the isolated flaccid M4, lets see how its stacks up against the Gt350.

4. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    The winner will be determined by who purchases the largest block of advertizing in our magazine!...:)

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own a 2015 Z/28 and the car is a stunning driver.

Good job Chevrolet!

best

Lee

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Interesting, and just slightly quicker than my F355 :)

Not sure what I think of the looks, need to see one in person.

That Toyota Mirai however, wow that is fugly

7. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Haha-you're probably not too far off the target on this one! These magazines are so predictable.

Still, it's great performance from the SS!

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #8 texasmr2, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Yep. They seem to overlook the total lack of thought towards the sub-par interior and I think they are also padding the track results. I would not be seen in the new gen Camaro much less consider purchasing one. Heck even my 2004 525i is less comfortable than any of my MR2's were but the rag's would be praising a BMW for just being a BMW over a lowly Toyota.

9. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    The interior and sight lines have been my main complaints about the new Camaros as well, and from reviews it seems like they didn't do anything to address the poor visibility. There's more to a car than raw performance numbers, but those things don't make great headlines...

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I completely forgot about those issues. Last year the SS won some award but the award was for track duty and not a real world DD award. I commend Chevy for what they have achieved with the platform but even the new Camaro is just a new version of the old platform so I assume nothing has changed. I actually had the impression/hope that the previous issues had been fixed but it is still the same old "song and dance", uninspired nor revolutionary.

Would I enjoy driving one, maybe. Would I consider parking one in my driveway, never.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its actualy a completly new platform.

Yes it looks similar to the old car but being an all new platform is really only visualy similar, otherwise its completly different unless you consdiier both are sbc so the mtoor is sort of carryover. Keeoing the same basic sucessful design shape, porche does that witht he 911,996/997 and now 991, all called 911 but different platforms.

When you have appealing dramatic design then funtion may folow form but you get a special car, think lambo miura, countach various ferraris, its a compromise and where you draw the line detrimines "practicality. The prior camaro even in v6 form felt like a special event to drive and this was directly related to its physical shape/design because the mechanical and interior execution was not great.. Want great sightlines easy visibilty, then at the other extreme you get a bland corrola.

If you want a more practical version of this camao, just buy a vaddy ats, more sueable practical sighlines etc. the camaro is a dramtic design, not for everybody but thats its niche, and now it has the dynamics to match others.

12. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    That's hilarious. I'm sure you've driven a 2016 Camaro against its competition on track and street and are equipped with the first hand experience to make this judgement call?

Or do you subscribe to a lot of UFO/conspiracy theory magazines?

Maybe you like having something to complain about?

13. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Camaro awesome performance but claustrophobic plastic interior is a major flaw if one is going to use the car as a dd. Mustang better compromise in this regard imho. No interest in tracking? Get the challenger. Real world comfort and room, best looking and the only one to remain true to its pony car roots. All 3 are winners, great time to be an enthusiast.

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The original pony cars were built on compact sedan platforms, the Mustang was built on the Falcon and the Camaro/Firebird was built on the Nova platform. The latest generation Camaro and Challengers are built on sedan platforms, but the smallest platform that is available is still rather porky. This latest version of the Camaro sheds more than 200 pounds, but it's still pretty heavy at almost 3700 pounds for the big engine model and about 3500 for the V6. To my mind the ultimate pony car would be something size wise like the last generation M3 with a light LS motor in it.. That would be a killer car. JMHO and qualified as such....

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Completely agree about the sight line on the Camaro. Sat in many of new Z/28 and just couldn't get comfortable with where my eyes looked out the windshield.

16. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    This 37 grand camaro Sixth gen SS has gotten tons of accolades beyond the fifth gen camaro SS....and many other performance machines.....like the BMW m4 or Porsche 911....

Those who prefer to think of older camaro s instead of the one just released will simply be missing out on a great performance machine.

For the rest willing to sample this new 6 th gen camaro SS it seems based off all these reviews will be impressed.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The great thing about the camaro and the stang is that they democratise performance, not just straight line but dynamicaly and even styling. Now we have porche ferrari rivaling dynamics motors etc, or at least compared to what thoise marques offered a decade ago for small change. The exotics have to try harder and harder to diffferetiate.

As a DD yes the challeger is the one to go for, and its retro in so many excelent ways starting with being a dinosaur whith massive power. But the mustang and camaro seem to fuse what makes euro and american cars great in one package, making them a great pick.

Now that the M4 is a bloaty isolated turboed softish thingy, frankly a Gt350 or camro seems a much better drivers pick. If GM does somehtign liek the z28 of yore a lighter car with a high rev hipo na v8 cant really think of anything better cept maybe a Gt3, good stuff. the american car is reaching a peak it never attained before.

18. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It must have won on it's technical merit along and not on looks. That thing is a pooch!

19. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Suprising win. Goes to show how far domestic cars have come from the abyss of the late 70's and 80's.

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I remember the 85mph speedometer with 55mph highlighted in a different color from the other numbers ;).

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    That was another example of the federal government helping you to drive slower.

22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    BMW must not have paid their Tribute to Motor Trend this year!

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, they pay theirs to C&D, although this year the check must have been small seeing as how they didn't name the 3 series to their 10 best list....😜

24. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Excellent performance for around 40 grand...

MRC shocks
    Npp exhaust

Hard to not respect the new SS performance statistics....and the MRC system is pretty cool for a nice daily driver ride ...

For around 40 grand it's a hell of a car....

I think I'd gladly pay 40 large as compared to a m4

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree Mustang GT also as a dd as you can actually see out of it and it is better looking imho. Not a dog in the lot (camaro,challenger or mustang), I'd be happy with any of them as a dd.