1965 Corvette? | FerrariChat

1965 Corvette?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Dec 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I heard the original knock of wheels from a 1965 Corvette are worth $25K US. My friend said he heard that on Mecum.

I am wondering if that is true?. I am not trying to sell them on this forum but I have a complete set in my attic. I am curious.

Thank you

Lee

2. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Not even close!

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Been a while since I looked (since I have repos), but I'd be surprised if the current market was more than $3k-$5k.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    A quick browse through ebay had several sets anywhere from $6K to $23K with several around $10K. Doesn't mean they are all selling for that but obviously they have gone up since I last looked.

5. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    Lee,

I am a NCRS member and took a look through our classifieds. There are two sets of knock-offs for the C2 era currently for sale.

A completely, professionally restored set of four 65/66 Kelsey-Hayes knock-offs for $9000.

A clean, but un-restored set of five 67 K-H knock-offs for $10,000.

There's lots of variables as you can imagine. No doubt someone with an unused set of matching date 65 K-H knock-offs could ask just about whatever he wants, so the $25k price.

If you let me know exactly what you have (dates, codes, condition, etc.) I can give you a better idea of their value. Feel free to PM me if you wish. Good luck with them.

John

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #6 leead1, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    I appreciate your reply's and taking the time to look things up.

I really do not know what I have. The tires that are currently on the 1965 Corvettes are knock offs. I suspect roughly new manufacturer at the time I purchased the car,

When I bought the car from the Orlando Ferrari dealer he told me the the second complete set of wheels where the original wheels that came with the car in 1965. I just wrapped and oiled them and put them in the attic. That was about 12 years ago.

At the time I thought you could not put on radial tires with the old hubs. Now I know that is not true since I even have radials on my 1954 Corvette.

The comment by Mecum on TV about $25K US peeked my interest. If and when I sell the car I will most likely turn them over to the new owner.

Thanks again. Oh I love the Tigers. I had a Sunbeam Alpine in the day. No comparison to a Tiger of course.

Best

Lee

7. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    Lee,
    You are doing the honorable thing (by car-guy standards) of keeping the wheels with the car they belong to. If/when it comes time to sell your 65, you can ask a higher price mentioning the original set of K/O wheels. Enjoy you Corvettes!

John

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thank you John.

Best

Lee

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #9 toggie, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is a possibility the alloy wheels you have on your Corvette may not be real knock-offs but might be 5-lug alloy wheels made to look like the original knock-offs.

This is the kind of alloy wheels my 65 Corvette has.
    When you remove the small knock-off spinner "hub", underneath are 5 lug nuts.

Look carefully at your knock-off spinners and see if they are actual spinners or a cosmetic hub.

Here is a picture of my 5-lug alloy wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The wheels on my 1965 Corvette are spinners and you have to use a rubber mallet to get them off. I hsve no idea what shier lineage is?

I looked at your profile. I owned 5 planes but gave up flying.

I also had a Cessna 182 Turbo RG. I very nice plane I am jealous :)

Safe flying my Friend

Lee

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have true KO's on my red 66 but they are not KH originals. IIRC they only started making the 5 bolt on KO repos in the last 10-15 years. The repo KO's on my car were from the 80's.

12. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    In case it comes up, as it usually does when discussing vintage Corvette wheels, true knock-offs (requiring a hammer, often a lead one), were available through model year 1966. That was the last year. Very few 63-64 cars got real knock-offs because there were issues with the wheels leaking air, so very few 63-64 cars came from the dealer with them on. The air leak issues were ironed out by 65-66. The safety-nazis stepped in after 1966.

John

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I also recall reading that most of the time the KO wheel was ordered they came with the goldline tires. There is probably no way to ever know, but I always think of that when I see KO's with white walls or black walls.

14. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    Gold wall tires probably show up on a lot of C2 Corvettes, but they were only a factory option in 65/66, for about $50.00.

John

15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #15 ForzaV12, Dec 23, 2015
  16. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    Halibrands?

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You might want to check the LF tire pressure. Great period look, did any comp cars run these back in the day?

18. Ah53

Ah53 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    HoHoKus,NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph C Costa
    #18 Ah53, Dec 24, 2015
    FWIW This is my '65 with the original knock offs it came from the factory with and gold line radial tires. I'm guessing a matched set of 5 in good condition could go $15,000 to $20.000. For the curious the car is a 327/350, 4 speed with PW, PS, a teak & tele wheel and factory AC.

Joe

19. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Trigo modern "Halibrands", used on FIA Cobras. I have originals, just not that safe to run hard anymore, IMO.

Yeah, the race tires tend to lose air. Yes, some Corvettes did use them-Grand Sports for one.

20. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very nice

21. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #21 kalinsd, Jan 3, 2016
    Purchased from an Ohio dealer 12 or 13 years ago. Some prominent past Corvette/Ferrari owners.

Repaint in '79, former Bloomington Gold/NCRS Top Flight and recent NCRS Top Flight awards.

The experts tell me this car is very low in production numbers. Some say one of two, others say just a hand full as configured.

Just over 30K+ miles now on the odo, but no real way to actually confirm. Judging from the ware on the white leather seats, they suggest more miles, however, the interior appears to be original to the car.

Love the sound of the big block and side pipes..... a little obnoxious, but when there is the need for "big" noise, a ride in this one provides the fix.

Have the real deal KO's, date coded steel wheels with wheel covers, and the 5 bolt-on alloy wheels.

This car is a ton of fun. Today, if the car could be purchased for sticker, will take a "Bakers Dozen."

22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I spotted 5 k-H unrestored examples for sale on Hemmings for $5500.00....

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Interesting Bryner Chevrolet sold your Corvette. The Delaware Valley Corvette Club had an annual show there for years in Jenkintown PA. It was run by Bob Fox as I recall. Lost of nice old Corvette were there and even in the surrounding shopping plaza parking lots.

24. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Wow. That is stunning. :)