Buick Regal Grand National purchase | FerrariChat

Buick Regal Grand National purchase

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Michael B, Jan 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in the summer of 1985 I had a low level job at Montgomery Wards and a desire for buying a new Buick Grand National. I had read all the magazines about the peppy V6 and loved the blacked out look. I carried a photo in my wallet from a magazine so I could look at it when the long hours in the hardware retail area drug on. Anyhow I went to my local dealer and drove the 1985 non-intercooled version. I was hooked. However the dealership owner was a real nut about these cars (sold the most of them in my zone) and because of that he told me that the new 1986 versions were going to have more power... Intrigued I decided to place an order for a new 1986 and left the demo 1985 sitting on the lot.

I was pretty young but he took me under his wing & we ordered up a car that suited only me. I wanted it to seem loaded, but to remain lightweight. 1986 was the last year that Buick would allow you to order each option alone. After that Buick converted to "package" options that are so commonplace today. So I picked each option to suit one by one while sitting in his office.

Grand National option? Check. Power windows? (that gave the illusion of "loaded") Yes. Tilt wheel? Yes. Toss in the halogen headlamps. Definitely do the Posi rear end. Cruise? Tinted glass? Yup. Concert sound? Sure thing. Power locks? Nope, too heavy. Foot-well lighting? Heck no. Lear Siegler Seats? Oh I want that! But cant afford it. Sorry nope. T-Tops? Are you kidding? Standard antenna, non digital dash. Would luv the electric climate control but again I cant afford it. Power seats? Way too heavy.

I settled on nine options but the window sticker price was good and the dealer was excited to do it. We worked the price down to $14,400 and I placed the order.

It was October when I got a call from the still excited dealer telling me the best one word that I had ever heard. He said "Mike! Your order has been preferenced" (he told me that "preference" was a special time and to be prepared for that big step when we were in his office).

It blew my mind. The car - MY Car - was being made to order! But better yet... He goes on to tell me that HIS 1986 would be here soon & he wanted me to come over & drive it. He had heard that the power was way more than expected & he could not wait to see his demo.

Only a few weeks later he called & said that his '86 has shown. It was really loaded but he said I would not believe the punch. My Mother & I (she is a gearhead) drove over to see this new car. It was perfect. Brand new and sitting at the curb. A new little emblem was on the fender placed below the Grand National emblem. It simply read "INTERCOOLED"

He tossed me the keys with a smile & said "do it" as I walked out the big dealership door. I sat in the cloth seats & hit the key. I can still recall the sound on start up.

As I dropped it into gear it rolled calmly away from the dealership. I got about a block out when I started to dip into the boost. I recall the boost gauge took about two seconds - then the LED's bolted to 15PSI and the car pulled like no other turbo car I had ever been in. It felt like a drag car! (remember this was November 1985).

I was as blown away as my dealer said I would be. I pulled into a church parking lot & stopped. I said to my mother "check this out" and brought up the boost on the brake. Just as it started to make power I floored it & cranked the wheel. The car did the most perfect donut in a billowing cloud of white Goodyear tire smoke you could ever imagine.

After the perfect 360 I simply let off the throttle & stopped. My Mother looked at me & said "Oh my God... This is GREAT!" I smiled in agreement.

We took the car back & told my dealership friend to call me when my car was close. We would be right over to get it :)

I placed an ad to sell my then 1980 MGB (needed a down payment) called the bank to secure the loan ($285 a moth please). And started the sleepless nights waiting.

November 14th 1985 the car had landed. I hitched a ride with Mother & she dropped me off at the dealership. I remember walking back to the service bays where my car sat alone in the corner. It was a sublime moment. “Look at this car “I thought. And opened the door. My 1st new car. And look at it. Whoa. They let me pull it up to the overhead door, the dealer shook my hand as the door opened.. Then I lit em up as I exited with all of the staff watching this epic car roll out. It was only the second Intercooled version in my region and all were in awe of it.

Immediately I went to my pals homes one by one & gave rides. We were all bowled over on how fast this Buick was. It was like being Hans Solo in the Millennium Falcon going into hyper space. Best part? No one on the street knew what lurked beneath the hood. I could pick off Mustangs, Corvettes & IROC Z’s like they were tied to a tree. My Grand National & I were educating all of them. One at a time. This was a dream come true. November, cold Midwestern winter, and an Intercooled Turbo Buick. Damn.

Fast forward all these years later and I still fondly remember the car & all of the stories that come along (so many stories). Enough so that I still track occasional sales and news blurbs about this epic cult like Buick. I have long told others who sing the GN praises to "go buy one" as they are priced right (to me) and I always thought could be a fairly good car to watch with the potential to appreciate.

So what happens? Here on this site I read of a fairly clean - original paint - super interior 1987 come up for sale. I wanted a 1986 for a few reasons, but the ’87 seems to be what most people are attracted to. But hey, I don’t have room for another car - but I contact the seller anyhow. He is a nice enough bloke and we talk details. Time passes through the holiday and the car eats away at my psyche. So I make an offer... He takes it.

Holy Moly. Looks like I am back in the saddle again. First I just want to look at it for awhile and be a good caretaker. But I want my Sons to experience the same feeling I had back so many years ago. So I will make it as reliable as possible & tame enough (like it was when new) that I can have comfort when they drive it around. They are still mind-blowing when you see one out in the wild. Maybe now more than ever. Sure everyone will say “Is that a GNX?” But like in the past, we will educate them all. One at a time. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Great car! One of my best friends had an '86 in college that was fully loaded (T-tops, digital dash, climate control, the whole deal). I remember the thing being able to light the tires up at around 20mph, it was awesome. We took a trip in it to Ocean City from Rochester and got 27mpg in climate controlled Buick comfort. Awesome cars, most die hard gear heads knew what they were at that time but it was fun rolling up to kids in daddy's M3 or fox body stangs and toying with them. Punch it from a dead roll and for the first 60' or so they'd be dead even until the boost came on, then the GN would light the tires up and just leave them for dead.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I bought an 87 new. Great car. Handled abominably but a nice car to drive otherwise.
    In the rain it was fun, you could do a Dukes of Hazzard and crab it sideways straight up the street for quite a ways. On cold days it sure made good power.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Same here I have always loved and wanted a GN/GNX. Through the years going back and forth to work there were a few DD GNX's I saw everyday and even in 2009-2010 there was one that was a DD regardless of the weather.

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Great thread! Thanks for sharing. Need more pics! ;)

6. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    There is a gentleman here in Huntsville who has Charlie Sheen's GNX with extremely low miles. He was attempting to sell it recently after buying it at Barrett-Jackson a couple of years ago and also has a Porsche 918, 2015 Turbo S, and a new GT3RS. I will post pics later of the GNX as I am at work.

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    How about this window sticker from the one I bought new? :)

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    Here is the day I picked up the 1986. Stopped for lunch. Nov 14th 1985. The car next to it (Benz) was my ride over (Mothers Benz). She still has it!

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
  10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    What I find to be the coolest aspect is that you had the foresight to take pictures back then. It would have been very cool if you could have found your car and put her back in your garage.

PS, I like the plate as me thinks that was when George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" was big.

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually put clip on mudflaps on the car and then a set of 15 inch Thunderbird wire spoke hubcaps... That made it look more "Grandpa" as I went fishing for races when money was on the line. There above you can still see the mudflaps (working to keep the hot rubber from the quarter-panel this day).

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Yeah ~ I have LOADS of photos. It was a big deal to me. Really big.

I know where my original car is... Its still in my State. I am just sure I would be disappointed with it (deterioration) if I tracked it down. So I have refrained from doing so.

Buick ran a commercial for the GN during the Superbowl. George sang a revised version in the clip. The plate was epic :)

Here is the Vid [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Kw1qW_laA[/ame]

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    On a side note I read that Buick was going to reintroduce the GN/GNX but it was moved to the back burner over 1yr ago. If it was going to be a FWD I am glad it died (if that is what happened).

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    Yes nice note. Here is a photo of what I saw at the time (I told you I still watched the news on them :) )

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Another cool plate! As mentioned I just read about it and then nothing but the picture you shared may mean the project is possibly still alive in the "skunk works" hidden offices?

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Awesome cars! Congrats

17. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #17 andrew911, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    What a great story. I still remember going to buy a new buick in 1987 with my grandfather- he had a 4-door 1982 regal, and was ready for a new car. Even then (didn't have my license yet) I was the family's car expert...we went to a local Buick dealer- they had a few Grand Nationals up front (2 or 3) and we went inside. Before we went in, I told my grandfather that the turbo motor was the "better" engine. We went inside and my grandfather told the salesman we wanted a regal with the turbo motor, power windows and A/C...I couldn't believe it was happening, but then my grandfather continued- 4 doors...thud. The salesman said they only make the regal in 2 door- my grandfather was always driving people around from his church and stuff, so he said how about the Century that was in the showroom in front of us. Ever the fast thinker, I quickly said no, let's look at this Park Avenue over here. He did buy the 1987 park avenue...which is a car that I inherited years later sort of as a second car when he stopped driving (I had a 1978 911 I bought used, which wasn't a car I wanted to commute in or drive in the snow etc...) The 3.8L w/sequential port fuel injection was a very durable and smooth motor with excellent torque back in 1987. I'll admit I raced a lot of people in the Park Avenue (maybe not mustangs, but people/other kids in more normal sedans) and won lots of races :) 1987 3.8 liter got updated roller bearings that added 10HP to the park avenue motor (from 140hp 1986 to 150hp for 1987) and to the grand national (235HP in 1986, 245HP in 1987 :) ) What is funny is that I had my then 78 year old grandfather actually telling a salesman he wanted what was the fastest 1/4 mile US-built car in 1987!

I have always loved the GN- I just bought a very high quality 1/18 model for my model car shelf in my office earlier this year in fact. I love the look of them, even the logo with the "6" is magical. While I have a few other cars I'd buy first, I'd have one as a 5th or 6th car if I had a fun car collection that had enough vehicles...

18. Dansc

Dansc Rookie

Jul 22, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Congrats! Very cool car and story. Enjoy it!

19. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Never ridden in a GN but have had quite a few rides in Regal T-Types of varying metallic colors. Very fast cars in a straight line.

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #20 Michael B, Jan 5, 2016
    Heck guys. I did not think they handled THAT bad. I immediately ordered a larger rear anti-sway bar for mine back in the day. That dialed in some good oversteer (they understeered like a rhino in stock trim) and I was off to the autocross course with mine!

21. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great story! I love hearing ones like this :)

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True-they actually handled pretty well(light V6 set back in the chassis, sway bars, decent shocks,springs and steering). I had the Kenne-Belle bits on the GN I purchased new in 1987.
    It would dip into the 11s while retaining all of the factory comfort and AC. It was a great road trip car. I was driving mine up to the Monterey Historics in 88 or so when two black Ferrari TRs came up behind me flashing lights. I was going about 80 when I moved to the right. Just as the TRs came up on the left, I pinched it as did they. I pulled both of them by 3 or 4 lengths and held it up to 140 or so when I backed off.
    I also entered mine in the La Carrera Classic one year(my vintage car broke the day before the event!). The mighty GN had little difficulty blowing off the majority of the sportscars in the event until a left rear tire blew at about 110. Ther is still a pic of me in Car Craft standing next to my GN in Mexico with my shredded tire.
    That Buick was a damn fine car.

23. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Fantastic detailed story. Thanks for sharing.

24. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#24 REMIX, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Had two of these machines from brand new. 86 and an 87. In 1986 no one knew what they were, and I made a lot of spare cash off the likes of unsuspecting Mustang and Corvette owners. By 87, though, everyone knew.

My 86 had the digital dash and climate control. 86s are a lot rarer than 87s, and they can be spotted by the little strip of chrome on the grille. My 86 also had a slight gold metalflake in the paint, my 87 did not.

First time I drove my first GN, I mashed the gas to the floor and...nothing. Then all hell broke loose, I will always remember that. I miss the 80s in a big way.

Awesome car you got there!

25. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Have always grown up around the GNX & GN. Great story - great car!!