Z06 v ACR (MT video, 23:00) | FerrariChat

Z06 v ACR (MT video, 23:00)

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Jan 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qWYJQClIyY[/ame]

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    HAH you beat me to it...I was about to post this...Loved it.

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    An interesting comparison with the outcome I expected. The ACR is a true "track" car, the Z06 (in spite of what GM says) is a street car that can be taken to the track. Sadly, the Viper is gone after 2017, for many of the reasons the guys spoke of (ridiculous driving position, crudeness, etc). What I hope is that the Corvette will finally go to at least one model that is mid-engine. The C7 is a great car (I have one) but there is no question that it is at the end of the development line as far as performance for a front engine/rear drive car, if the question you're trying to answer is knocking off hypercars for 90% off MSRP. Obviously, doing literally race car aero (like the ACR) could keep the Corvette platform viable for extreme track driving but I question how much market there is for such a single purpose car (the guys were right, an ACR is the 5th car you own).

Having driven both a C7 Stingray and a C7 Z06, the Stingray is a better balanced car overall. Certainly not as quick (but plenty fast for mortals) as a Z06, but also not nearly as scary.

Jimmy

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    both cars faster than the GT3RS. interesting.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Local Dodge dealer has a brand new 2014 Viper GTS sitting on their lot. It is a shame they aren't selling.

If i happen to win the powerball this weekend, I am ordering an ACR.

6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    It is indeed sad that the car is going away. For all Dodge/SRT/Dodge's bluster about not competing with Corvette, reality is that they probably are/were. And the C7 is just a better "car". Even as good as the GenV Viper is compared to previous Vipers, it is still a very compromised vehicle to actually live with, day to day. Much like it's spiritual inspiration, the AC Cobra, not many folks want to put up with it (they literally gave away the last Cobras in the 1960's) much like the VIper is today. That said, I think the Viper will also follow the Cobra and become quite valuable as the years go by (goodness knows there won't be anything like the Viper 10 years from now) .

Jimmy

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    especially the ACR-E

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #8 FerrariF50lover, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    The viper is also faster then the 918! The car is stellar I hope to own one in the not so distant future. The thing that irks me is if they put a Ferrari badge on the ACR they would rave at how raw and what a throwback to a 355 challenge car it is. Like it or not the ACR one of the baddest street cars money can buy.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I eagerly await my Extreme Aero. It is indeed my Nth car and I have no illusions about daily driving it. After some break in miles, the track setup goes on, and stays on.

The Extreme will be bought by a few who just want the bragging rights, but is intended for a pretty serious track rat. What is interesting is that the next most track-oriented car is the GT3 and RS. Many owners of especially the GT3 are buying the Extreme because of the crazy markup of the GT3RS (think well over $300K to own one). I can own BOTH a GT3 and Extreme for less than a GT3RS and to me it's a no-brainer choice.

But I am on the lunatic fringe and spend probably an average of over 5 hours a month at speed on track.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What color(s) did you go with? I am in love with the competition blue.

Please post pics when you get it.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's time is about a second slower than the 918 at Laguna seca. Faster than the P1's time tho. Incredible bang for the buck!!!!

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
  13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #13 kverges, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Then you'd love my color choice. The Viper Concierge program recently sent me some photos of the panels in paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Keith, really looking forward to hearing how you like the car.

IMo the biggest problem with viper sales is the motor, not that it does not have power, but poor charisma, and that is a charteristic necessary at this price range for street cars.

ACR though, awesome.

15. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Wow. Wish Ferrari had customer relations like that, for mere mortals. I couldn't even schedule to watch my 458 being built.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.....

16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    If I may ask, which dealer did you use? I hear the Extremes are not being discounted.

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    #17 09Scuderia, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I was just looking at the Exchange. Which one did you buy?

19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    These head to head videos are the best.

Did z06 oversteer so much bc they shut off the nannies? Pretty scary if they were left on.

if only viper sounded better could forgive everything else

21. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My wish list viper is uploaded to the Viper Gallery on the Dodge site and looks to be the same car but no stripes. Great looking car.

22. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I don't care if it looks, smells and sounds like a steaming turd. I plan to use it on track and it should have enough pace that the sounds it makes are irrelevant. All that subjective crap just boggles my mind.

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think it sounds pretty damn good :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sSQ_zJQJTU[/ame]

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes that sounds fantastic. Hard to believe that thing is allowed to be on street.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    But many people spending over 100k go for the "subjective crap" especialy as they use the cars on street. Thats why ferraris and others have great sounbding engines and engineered exhaust sound. Its also why companies with eps are workign on steerign feel. Why the leather smell etc is a feature at this price range.

Yes a few hundred track guys may look the other way, but to stay in buisness you need the other buyers too, the ones who may also want to drive on the street, or just have the pleasure of hearing the engine scream on track.

None of which takes away from how great the ACR performs, but as we see there is more to selling an expesnive street based performance car than stats. Otherwise Atom sales could equal vette sales.

Imo, The viper gets most things roight and should be a sales winner, but for the motor. As the viper V10 is their old V8 with two extra cylinders, they should add two more, a honking pushrod v12 would be the ticket to stardom for the viper and a true usp.

10 years from now durign the next collector car boom no one is going to care about the ACR's drawbacks, it will just be seen as the outrageous swansong of an outrageous car, the best performer of the era, so hard that few were bought, incredibly rare only 200 built yad yada yada, and sell for big money.

Cool you and others are going to sped time enjoying these cars as intended, before they become too precious to use.