Ford F150 Lighting | FerrariChat

Ford F150 Lighting

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by texasmr2, Feb 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Any past or present owners here? I have always liked them and had one blow my doors off one day in the old 2JZGTE SC300, it was love at first whine lol. I know that I ask a lot about various vehicles but I am just researching and gathering information, bear with me if you will.

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    They are reliable, and pretty easy to tune. Stock block and crank can handle quite a bit of power. Interior is decent, the suede holds up well.
    If you don't care about fuel economy and don't mind a standard cab, they are fun trucks. Prices are pretty stable on them as well.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    I had a 1st generation and my daily driver is a 2nd generation.

Been a very good truck if you don't mind lousy gas mileage.

My 1st gen handled better even with the twin I beam but was not as fast. The 1st generation used a snow plow frame so it was reasonably stiff for a pick up. The 2nd flexs a lot, so much my bed cover latches pop loose on clover leaf on and off ramps. And the posi has too much slip so it is a little harder than it should be to throttle steer.

I have close to 100,000 miles on it.

The brake rotors are junk and I keep warping them but it does get used pretty hard.

I think the trans is the weak link in them. My 1st gen trans was dying when I sold it. The 2nd trans does not give me great confidence so I am careful to avoid full throttle upshifts.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I still have a few years until the BMW paid off so I have time to decide which direction to take and save up for a fat down payment. Still deciding between the Lightning, Jeep SRT8 or Grand National.

I found this link that shows the price fluctuations which are basically mileage based (found a 2004 w/49.9K miles for $19,998).
    https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/16676442

5. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wasn't there problems with some having too shallow threads for the plugs and those who turned up the bust lost their plugs?

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #6 texasmr2, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Did someone lose their bust and plugs, ouch!

If you have anything relevant to add in regards to the topic of discussion your input is welcomed. If not please add me to your ignore list.

Good Day.

7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    There were some issues with plugs blowing out of the heads. But it took a lot of boost before it became a common issue. All the ford mod motors have the issue, I've seen the most from the V10. But there are a couple good fixes for them.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do love your taste in cars :).

A friend of mine had one years back, thought with the 1JZ GTE and 5 speed manual. stage 1 mods and factory manual, welded diff. The thing was a beast. Stripped out (it is HEAVY) and it was a very nice drift car. And no one knows what it is, which makes it quite the sleeper!

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Always liked the Lightnings, and back when the Gen II came out in 99, that 360 hp rating was amazing.

I have a Lightning blower and full exhaust on my Navigator....so it sounds like no other Lincoln, but has a level of luxury and practicality the L could never match!

10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Please add me to your ignore list. Please.

11. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Not sure how common it was but I have heard several do it.

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It is common enough that there are repair kits for them, but it's not something I've worried about. I've had three Ford mod motors that have been pushed over 200k and haven't had one blow out.

13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Is the kit where they put the helical insert in?

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my dad had one of the first 93s (?).... ford put a supercharger kit on it to test durability. dual tanks were handy

it needed dual electric fans but that truck saw a **** ton of abuse up and down woodward. the rear end broke twice

15. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That's one of the repairs. The other is an insert that is threaded in place with loctite, and it uses a plug from the newer 3V 5.4. Also a shorter coil boot. Works really well.