anybody here own a superformance daytona coupe? | FerrariChat

anybody here own a superformance daytona coupe?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ross, Mar 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if so, can you tell us what its like?

2. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #2 babci, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

Good video overview of one of the best builds of what was a basic kit car bolt bucket done to date. Keep in mind that the finished cost was rumored to be well over 250K not including the basic car. Doubt the owner could ever recover the cost as after all it still a replica/recreation/tribute? But who knows?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc1JMuyqh_Y

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a spf Gt40. The basic car is one price to build and will work on street. From my experience, start running on track or really using it in the top 10% of its capability, and there is quite a bit more to spend in terms of durability and vehicle cohesion.

The daytona coupe is probably not too different in this regard, or any componant car for that matter.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

A friend had one for 8 years or so. He drove it periodically, as he had 10 cars at the time. It was beautiful to look at, but when I rode in it with him, I felt it was cramped, loud, and not very comfortable.

I did not think it was a car I would want to own. JMO.

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Kinda par for the course -- this is a replica of a '60s race car!

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you like your boxer, then a Gt40 has way more power, way less weight, has proper handling, is dynamicaly sound, has great steering feedback(think lotus), has good brakes and is faster than pretty much any current street car.

However you need to not mind, race car build quality, lots of noise, its a bit leaky in the rain, you really have to learn how to drive it, the windows dont go down, you need to be able to climb in and out and its use is limited to fast drives and the track.. There is also a long wait between ordering and build completion, as well as a few months worth of sorting which will require acess to people with the necessary skills..

The Daytona coupe was designed to be more comfortable than a GT40, but much of the above still applies. Probably a decent weekend car, it has Ps so the feedback is muted and limits not as high asa Gt40, still way more raw than any modern. Not really any type of daily. For my money though if you are talking charismatic big front engined coupe, just get a viper, its the modern rendition of a daytona coupe, just more.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Agree, on Viper. My buddy had a Viper coupe at the same time, it was far more comfortable and did everything better. Except for the cool factor.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks guys. sounds pretty cool, but as impractical as most of my cars ! :)

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    In 2006 one of the owners of the dealership I worked for was going to order a fully built SPF Daytona w/ Hilborn fuel injection but I believe he ended up getting a Cobra. Probably not a DD but one hell of a ride.

10. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    I had a SPF GT40. The Daytona Coupe may have some similarites - great history and tremendous potential. On my car, the fit and finish needed a lot of tweaking and upgrades post delivery were necessary to make the car street and track worthy. Of course, it's all relative when considering price and now that a number of years have passed, current models may be first class.