anybody have a c1 corvette? | FerrariChat

anybody have a c1 corvette?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ross, Mar 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    specifically a 58, or 59-60.
    i have always liked these two variations of the c1.
    a friend of mine in switzerland is willing to swap his 58 vette for my 456mgt. we are childhood friends, so no money will change hands, and we can choose to reverse the process whenever we want. but it would be good to know how much his car is worth (perfect condition, repainted and restored and completely stock). its panama yellow (i guess only about 465 in that color out of 9300 or so).

thoughts?

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My father had a 1961 triple black C1. All original, 283 with 2x4bbl carbs, the hottest non-FI setup. I loved that car as a kid, drove it often.

My brother owns it now - he's done some work to it, it's in decent shape. Time tends to cloud memory, I've driven the car recently and it drives like a truck! The steering is awful, big wheel with recirculating ball mechanism. Not a car you would feel comfortable driving fast. My E-Type feels like a go kart in comparison.

But man, they look awesome! Sound great too!

Value depends on engine / tranny combo - is it auto or manual? Carb or FI?

A completely restored example would be worth $100,000 USD, give or take a few. Completely different experience from a 456, but definitely worth consideration if you prefer cruising over pure performance.

Good luck!

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #3 jm2, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    guy I used to work with has one
    I was never much of a fan of the twin headlight cars, but I will say his is awesome.......I've accepted them now :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #4 kverges, Mar 10, 2016
    I had a 1961 for several years. 4 speed, 2x4 carbs, respectable power especially for its 50+ year age. Drives like a truck because it basically has the same suspension as the truck of the same era. I never needed my radar detector, because I never wanted to go significantly faster than the posted speed limit anywhere.

As for pricing, my car was cosmetically almost perfect, mechanically very sound except for the common oil leaks at the front and rear main seal (rope seals of the day) and was almost numbers matching, on every component except for the engine, which had correct date code, but the previous owner was sufficiently honest not to re-stamp the serial number, which I think is very commonly done on so-called "numbers matching" cars.

I think $100,000 is dreadfully optimistic, unless it really is a NCRS fuel injected car. I got $50K for mine and routinely won casual local car shows with it. You really need to drive one, so that you can decide whether the "vintage" experience is something you like

My car below

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Today I own a 1964 , 65 and a 2014 Corvettes. I did own a 1960. The solid axle cars are very reliable. If the car is in good shape you can drive and enjoy with no worries.

The bad news is they drive like an old truck. To be honest I prefer the 1965 to 67 Mid year corvettes. I think the exterior design is timeless.

There are gentleman on this website who know more than I do, but I personally would stay away from the mechanical fuel injected Corvettes. They are hard to find someone who can work on them. The canisters are nearly impossible to find. They have a tenancy to be finicky and just do not start for no good reason. Most people end up converting them to carbs.

Good luck with your purchase.

Lee

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Like my dad's!

Yes, I said $100K, but that depends on engine / trans combo. He did note the car was fully "restored", but is that NCRS level or just a "regular" resto.

Nonetheless, I agree - $100K is top number.

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Definitely drive like a truck. When I was a kid, I thought the thing was awesome, but my reference point was my 1959 Chevy Sedan Delivery (with 3-spd on the column). My other car was a 1977 Honda Civic wagon, so the Corvette was like a dream.

I drove my dad's / brother's '61 Vette back-to-back with my '66 E-Type - wow, there really was no comparison. The E-Type was a ballet dancer to the 'Vette's Frankenstein's monster. Crazy cool car, but my memory of the car as a young driver was forever shattered.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #8 ag512bbi, Mar 10, 2016
    Great cars, A lot of work to drive, but the harder you drive them, the better they drive. It'll make you a better driver. $100K is Steep.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Never owned one, did own a C4. A friend of mine had one, a semi retired car dealer who had a small collection. I used to drive his cars to keep them exercised. The C1 body styles are my favorites in looks. As others have said it drives like a truck. Very disappointed in the drive. The only 50's era cars I've driven and found good. The Mercedes 300SL roadster, unfortunate its a million dollar car! Less expensive baby brother 190SL and the Jag XK120. There maybe others, but I'm only going by ones I've driven.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Buddy has one, but it's a resto mod and has 4 wheel independent suspension and a tube chassis, with LS3 drive train. Drives like a modern looks fantastic.

I'm not into the old car drive with solid axel, crap brakes and horrible suspensions. They look okay, but drive like junk and it's just not for me. I did almost buy a midyear, but then I went for the e-type which was a space ship compared to the vettes.

I would not trade a 456 for a C1.

11. Ah53

Ah53 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    HoHoKus,NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph C Costa
    Value is difficult to determine without more detail.
    '58 is a one year only car which to some makes it more valuable than the 59and 60. Motor and tranny matter, as does matching numbers, born with drive line and documentation. NCRS awards also add value.
    If you are over 6' and 200 lbs. (poorly distributed) you might find the interior tight. They do drive like a truck and handle well in a straight line, stopping at speed is exhilarating but they are ionic. I prefer the '63-'67 cars and own a '65 A/C coupe and '65 fuelie coupe. More room, better handling, better riding car.

Joe

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee

13. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would agree that the E type is a space ship compared to the C1-most definitely not when compared to the C2s. I've owned and enjoyed a couple of very nice XKEs(67,68) and still own 63,67,68,69 and 71 Corvettes. My 67 Corvette is every bit as nice to drive as my old Jag-and much faster.

14. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #14 kalinsd, Mar 14, 2016
    Yes, the steering and handling is challenging, but after all, that is the charm of these cars. Have owned this car since 1970 and still love driving it and it's street presence is nothing less than the exotics that are in our collection.

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Big improvements made with mid-year Vettes. I've wanted a '66/'67 coupe for as long as I can remember, blue / blue with rallye wheels. Maybe one day!

16. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 ForzaV12, Mar 15, 2016
    here's mine

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    very cool!

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Love it!

19. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Sharp!

20. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #20 ForzaV12, Mar 17, 2016
    Thanks! Here's one at the Targa California 2015

21. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #21 kalinsd, Mar 18, 2016
  22. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #22 kalinsd, Mar 18, 2016
  23. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    #23 BillN, Mar 18, 2016
    I can tell you that if you have the optional hardtop on it starts to become a challenge to wind you way in and out of the car. the top inhibits the entry and exit. Now I an 64 and 5' 8" and I can make it but for the most part I drive it with the soft top only. (and I can't recall the last time I put it up.
    As for value , a friend just sold a very nice 1961 single 4 bbl carb model with 4 speed at auction for $100,000.

24. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    That car is awesome. Thanks for sharing it!

25. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #25 SMS, Jun 29, 2016