79 mustang indy pace car | FerrariChat

79 mustang indy pace car

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by URAS, Mar 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #1 URAS, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So have had this since new. Over the years my wacko brothers have done some mods on it, which I did not like but I was away at university so too late by the time I returned. After sitting for 20+ years, I finally had some work done on it and drive it for about 2 weeks last year. All I have to say is WOW...forgot what American muscle car was about as I have pretty well switched over to European makes. In about 200km, I ripped 50% of the tread on the rear tires. But there is no substitute for brute power. I had the wheelie bars and parachute and super charger taken off last year to make it road manageable. As it is, it is still at the pivot point of just to much for the road and if you have to be careful to steer without seeing the road in front of you.

What I would like to do this year is drive it for the summer, and in the fall replace the fixed axle differential, and a little longer gearing. And definitely want to paint it back to the pewter grey with the indy pace car/mustang logos.

In about 3 more weeks, strap on the 5 point harness, and.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Fox-body Mustangs are just about the cheapest way to go fast. Yours looks like a ton of fun!

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Circa '84 or '85 (completely sober - go figure) I was pulled over by a DPS Trooper in a LX who was curious about my acceleration. I did not have my DL on me (memorized the number though so I was good). I asked if we could put some heat in the tars (tires for the you Yankee's) he laughed and kicked me out....I tried.

4. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    I just purchased a 93 black on black notchback, one owner and 39000 original miles. It has remained stock and never molested. Still has the stock exhaust and cats. 3.08 rear five speed. Interior is a 10/10. Paint and body is 8/10 but then again I am very picky. Too many small chips on the hood for my satisfaction so may have the hood repainted and then covered in XPEL. The right rear bumper has a small rash that I will also have repainted. I LOVE this car! I had a 92 black on black notchback that I traded in for a 1994 Mustang Cobra in 1994. My wife warned me that I'd regret it and I have for the last 22 years! I searched for years for a clean, unmolested notchback and finally found one! I was more excited about getting this car than any other car I've purchased to include vipers, TT vipers, a Gallardo and a McLaren 12 C. I would post pics but I'm a tech fool. If someone wants to give me their email address I will send them to them and perhaps they can post pics. LOVE THE 79 by the way!! Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good times and for posting pics just start a new comment and scroll down before submitting and you will see "attachments", click on it and you can then add photo's from your computer.

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #6 URAS, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My buddy had a similar vintage (e.g., "Fox body") Mercury Capri RS 5.0. It was an early model year version, sort of a sleeper, I'm thinking a 1980 / 1981. Had the "bubble" hatch.

It was a stick and MAN did that think COOK. Absolutely a rocket, much quicker than the comparable Z/28 / Trans Ams that came in 1982.

I'd love a later Fox body Mustang 5.0, notchback...real performance bargain.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I was working at a Ford dealership around 1980. I had one of these for a demo for a month, and I'm pretty sure I still have a set of the original decals/graphics around here in a storage closet. Want to offer me a bunch of money for them?

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Thanks Jeff.

The decals/graphics are still available aftermarket. There are a number of sources. The retail is $600 USD for the entire set.

1979 FORD MUSTANG INDY PACE CAR DECAL KIT
    DETAILS | DESCRIPTION

Mustang Indy Pace Car Decal Kit (1979)
    WRITE A REVIEW | UPLOAD A PHOTO

This Complete authentic 1979 Indy Pace Car decal kit made by 3M is sure to glorify your pace car restoration.

Item #LRS-FK79
    EVERYDAY LOW PRICE: $599.99

In Stock
    Ships tomorrow!

No Reviews WRITE THE FIRST REVIEW!

ADD TO CART ADD TO WISHLIST
    Free Mustang Parts Catalog

Now if you have a hood scope I would be interested in that? My brothers cut a hole in it to fit the supercharger and I would need to locate one or patch this one up.

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Bubble hatch started in 83 on the capris, I had an 82 capri with the 5.o liter package awesome cars. My buddy had one that was just wickedly fast and it wasn't outrageously built just put together right. It would just slam you back in the seat.
    I've had many foxbodys through the years and they are fun cars!