2016 Hellcat | FerrariChat

2016 Hellcat

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I bought a Hellcat yesterday. I cannot not tell yoyu much about the car. The dealer told me to stay with the black key which limits th HP. I will do that for 500 miles. On UTUBE they say that hold the car at 500hp. The full HP with the red key is 7007 hp.

I can say the car is loaded with features and is a true modern muscle car taken to the extreme. This is what I wanted. It has only modest markings so unless you know what to look for it is a sleeper.

The car has so many adjustments you can Taylor it to your feeling that day. The setting are straight forward even for us nontechnical people.

Since I cannot push the car yet we will see how well the chassis handles that amount of HP.

I can say the sound is to die for. The rumble makes my chest pump. I would buy the car just for the sound.

Best

Lee

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lee you are one of the few people who can actualy compare this car to others, like the z28 and some Italian stuff. Greatly look forwards to reading your driving impressions.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Charger or Challenger?

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lee is the man - love his joie de vivre and passion for all types of cars!!!

5. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Really curious how you like the car Lee once you can access all the power. I've been debating selling or trading in my GT500 towards a Charger Hellcat. I need the 4 doors, more interior room, and a car that will just eat up FL highway miles effortlessly - and still have that extreme muscle car feel.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Congrats, Lee. I'm sure you'll enjoy it once it is broken in. Glad to see you're still enjoying life.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    The only negatives are obvious : a bit big and heavy, and rear-wheel drive (which of course limits the car's ability to put the power down).

Everything else is nothing but goodness :) Wait until you experience full power! When you get a moment, please crawl under and take a look at those exhaust/tail pipes, through which that glorious sound progresses ;)

The block and reciprocating assembly (piston, rods, cranks) are strong. More power is just waiting to be unleashed ... with merely a pulley swap and tune! Eight-hundred honest, rear-wheel horsepower is only an afternoon away ...

Did you get three pedals, or two ?

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I think? It is the two door model.

Best

Lee

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #9 leead1, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    I am curious to see how it feels when I get full power compared to my Lamborghini Adventador which has 700 HP. The Adventador has four wheel drive so I suspect the Adventador will perform with much less drama and be much better behaved.

I am also interested how the Hellcat will perform compared to my Shelby GT 500 Mustang. This 2013 Model has 665HP on tap. It is easy to feed in the power so you can accelerate quickly with out much drama. We will see on the Hellcat.

The Hellcat with reduced power of 500HP is very well behaved. When I get some extended seat time I will compare various cars to the Hellcat. Many of my cars have different niches or missions so I will have to set different cars in defined buckets.

We will see. :) and thank you for the kind words.

Lee

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Great to hear from you. Yep still enjoying life. I refuse to grow up or mature :) I am 70 years old but please do not tell anyone especially on this forum.

Best

Lee

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I got 3 pedals. I prefer manual shifting. The shifting is very smooth like my Gen5 Viper. I was told they are the same transmission and in my view that is a good thing.

I agree the car is very heavy. No doubt this will impact handling and performance. You can adjust some of that out but not all of it. It is basically a straight line muscle car like the 1960s updated and refined. It has some modicum of handling.

I am a little concerned about the reliability of the Hellcat. People that bought the first year, 2015 had some problems. We will see and I will report back to this forum. My Viper has been perfect and a much improved drivers car compared to my earlier Viper.

Best

Lee

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Can't imagine the car is very streetable with 7,000 hp....amazing accomplishment though...LOL

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Sorry , the car is 707 hp with the red key.

I agree with you. The question is can the chassis handle that much power, probably not but we will see.

The real question is can you control that much power in a civilized way with the throttle.

I am half way there on the magic 500 miles so I can go full power.

Best

Lee

14. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Very cool thread!

Subscribed, and awaiting comparisons to other cars.

You hooked me with "I would buy this car just for the sound."

My type of guy!!

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Subscribed.
    I remember reading your take on the GT 500,,, I believe you said it is one of,,, or your favorite? Now I am looking at them as an over the top muscle car. Maybe your take on the hellcat will change my mind...

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #16 leead1, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Thank you all for the kind words.

The sound is most definitively a big draw. The has one of the deepest rumble engine sounds I have ever driven. I wonder if the sound is even better when the car is broken in and I can go to the red key and unleash the full 707hp.

I am giggling in ecstasy just thinking about it. :)

best

Lee

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking forward to following this thread. Of course the car is big and heavy, but at least it stayed true to its roots unlike the Mustang and Camaro. It's meant to be a GT, and is far more livable on a daily basis. You can see out of it and put actual live people in the back seat and luggage in the trunk. The 275 rears are way too skinny to put the power down. I'd love to dd the 485 hp version.

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #18 leead1, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    The Hellcat is fast and powerful but also has some compromises.

I thought the Hellcat with 707 HP was going to be tough to use. I was wrong! The power is easy to take advantage of and the gear shift on my manual is buttery smooth.

Someone posted that the Hellcat is heavy and it is. The engine power is such that the car does not fell heavy. The car feels light and very fast.

The heavy weight does show up in the lack of handling. This plus the long wheel base both impede handling. The car does not handle poorly it is just not a sports car. It turns gracefully without drama but it is not a Ferrari.

The Hellcat is easy to get into and a very comfortable place to sit. This is the type of car that can comfortably used for very long trips. The car as standard has so many bells a whistles.

I like the car! The 12 cylinder Adventador is a quicker car . it has only 700hp versus 707 Hell Cat. It has all wheel drive and a F1 transmission..

Jay Leno on his website :Leno's Garage" has a great piece on the Hellcat. They review the Automatic transmission. That may even the cars up. I think the Hell cat is Lamborghini Galardo quick Not Adventador quick.

My C7 Corvette is a better drivers car than the Hell Cat. I like the Corvette better than my 458. The 7 speed dual clutch on the Ferrari is wonderful but for sheer driving the C7 Corvette is better. The Z/28 is even better yet.

My 2013 Shelby at 665 hp is quick but no comparison to the Hellcat. My Shelby has dated old technology with the rear live axle versus independent suspension. Most of the time it hurts nothing. If you take a corner fast and hit a bump, the whole rear end of the car shutters. The new Mustangs do not have this problem. The Shelby under high power can be squirrel-Ly. The hell Cat is rock solid

I like The Hell Cat for the power and comfort. I am glad I bought it. The looks do nothing for me but I am spoiled. If the car is striped or pin striped that could help a lot.

My V10 Audi R8 is a better all around drivers car. I do not know how Audi does it but the cars handling is epic and the power is inspiring. Of course it is 2 1/2 time more expensive.

Try a Hell cat for yourselves it may punch your card.

Best

Lee

19. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Thanks! Great report!

20. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Lee

What is your intentions when they announce the new Z/28? Will you keep the current version that you already own or will you "trade up". I know that you like the current Z/28 and wondered if you keep several versions of the same car.

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I always enjoy your summaries! The Challenger is always being compared to much smaller sports cars when it should be compared to larger GTs.

Against the latest AMG coupe or M6, it is more unique looking and has comparable performance without all of the repair bills.

LSJ

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I never thought about it but you are right, it is like the BMW M6, only with more power.
    The car is a GT.

Thank you
    lee

23. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Glad you were excited just for the sound!

So did it change with the red key?

Nice review on the other cars. People can sit and read about cars for years, and in a few paragraphs you see perceptions can be pretty off from reality.

Thanks.

24. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Lee:
    I had the Challenger HC and then traded for a 16 Charger HC. Main concern with either model is that the car is under tired. Cannot get a good grip and will spin the tires easily. I hope Dodge offers wider tires in the near future. I really like my HC!
    Best of Luck with it!

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This. Only fools would compare this car to a Mustang or Camaro. they strayed from their roots, Dodge hasn't.