New to me C6 Corvette | FerrariChat

New to me C6 Corvette

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by godabitibi, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Since they have been released in 2005 I've always liked the C6 vettes. I always thought they were as nice or nicer than the 360. I wanted another convertible for this summer and have been shopping most of the winter. I had bought a 400i Straman and I never received the car so I was looking for another car(still trying to recover $6000 of my money from the seller).

After looking at some cars including a 355 F1 spider I bought last week my 2007 C6. Yellow on black convertible with a Edelbrock E-force supercharger. It was the first time I drove a C6 and I was impressed with almost everything. The only negative is the way too smooth shift of the automatic transmission.

I still own a 1980 Vette and what a difference it is.

Crazy power with full comfort and fuel economy to make many other smaller cars shy.

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    They are great cars. I drive one daily and have had them on track with great results.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You can have the C6 A6 tranny flash reprogramed to be what you want it to be.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Good to know, I like the slushy shift when I drive in full automatic for my lazy evening cruises but when you put it in paddle mode I'd like a firm and crisp shift.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Great looking car! If I didn't already have so many I'd probably pick one up.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hated my friend's C4 that I drove. Hate my dad's C5. Expected to hate the C6...then I drove one and loved it!

7. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great cars for sure. I had two, a base coupe and a Z06 and never had a problem with them.

As nice or nicer than a 360 though? Gotta disagree with that though... park them side by side and take a look.

8. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Been there, done that and I'll take the Corvette any day. It isn't for everyone but I really love the car.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #9 fatbillybob, May 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great car been racing one for years!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I have put 99k miles on my 2008 c6 z51 m6 z51 with npp...

Tuned with cow booster, MGW short shifter and a D.Sc. D shaped steering wheel from DSV and I put some nice leather throughout the interior touch points...

Just last week I threw on some 19/20 inch OEM c7 z51 wheels with non run flat Michelin pilot sports

[​IMG]

11. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I had a 2000 C5 and had the EEC reflashed. The major change I was told was to the shift logic for the auto tranny. The beauty of the electronically controlled transmissions is that you can have a smooth shift when driving easy and a firm shift when standing on it. That and a better cold air intake knocked 1/2 sec off the 1/4 mi time (otherwise stock).

Vettes are one of the best combinations of daily driveability, performance, and comfort.

C5 - good
    C6 - better
    C7 - best!

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The current generation of Chevy small block engines are really really great.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Looks great in black! What are the tire sizes you put on the C6?

14. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I'm real happy with the stock sized Michelin pilot sport A/s non run flats.

The ride and handling is much better than the ha kooks on 18/19 s...also non run flats.

I'm not a big fan of run flats as the side walls are too stiff and the tires are about 25 lbs heavier for all four,

Whatever the stock z51 c7 tire size is...that's what I bought..

There was a sale at tire rack...I think the fronts were 150 each...the rears were 300....and I also got a 140 dollar gift card back...I bought them local for the same price...and they were available in one day.

I'm very pleased and for what it's worth...the 19/20 black OEM rims give the car a slightly more contemporary look.

OEM rims can be found in local craigslist or the corvette forum.

GM wheels are stronger and less expensive ...not to mention lighter.

Hope this helps..

I used to always prefer polished gumby wheels but couldn't get the bends out even with trying good wheel straightening companies so I just buy take off wheels..

In the by metro area even the 18 s get bent too easy because of Manhattan potholes etc...

I haven't had an issue with my 19/20 s and non run flats yet...

I believe the stiff sidewalks of the run flats make bending rims occur more often...

The michelins in 19/20 ride smoother than the hankooks....I think I'll be buying michelins next time as well. ..usually every 20 months for me so far...

I just rolled over 100000...

I love this car...it's so reliable and inexpensive to run as a daily driver...

I keep the roof off all summer...