Gen V Viper ACR trickle charge question | FerrariChat

Gen V Viper ACR trickle charge question

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 6Speed 430, May 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    I just took delivery of a Gen V ACR, and was wondering what the proper way of hooking it up to a trickle charger is. I can't connect it to the battery because of the way my garage is set up, has anyone charged from the cigarette lighter? Does it work or cause any electrical problems?

2. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    #2 TurboRegal84, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    With most of the modern cars they have lots of electronic components that like to draw current and I wouldn't suggest disconnecting the battery. It often causes issues.

Use a CTEK charger with the cigarette lighter adapter. Cig lighters are DC and the CTEK is a maintainer so it will never overcharge. I use it in all of my cars without issue.

3. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Will do, appreciate the help.
    Thanks

4. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I've had several Gen V vipers, including a new ACR. I've used a Battery Tender (junior) on all of them, connected to the cigarette lighter in the center console. Has worked perfectly for years :)

(Unlike most other manufacturers, Chrysler keeps the cigarette lighter socket "hot" all the time, even long after the car is shut-off)

5. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Thanks, appreciate the insight. I'm surprised more car makers don't follow suit. The cigarette lighter is much more convinient.