High quality Cobra replica thread | FerrariChat

High quality Cobra replica thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JohnnyRay, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #1 JohnnyRay, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    In the interest of not further hijacking other Cobra threads, let's start an enthusiasts thread just for really nice Cobra replicas. Rollers, kits and scratch built are all welcome here.

Its been nearly 50 years since the last of the 998 original Cobras were sold. And just 343 were MkIII (427) models - a hard sell back then against the likes of the Corvette and E-type Jag with their roll up windows and proper convertible tops. It was not long after that the market realized what was missed. Not many cars available for a growing fan base, thus replicas were inevitable. Since then, all manner of 427 replicas have been introduced - some simply awful (the cars that give replicas a bad name). Others very nice with even more in between. More recently, the MkII cars have been replicated. These are the 289 FIA/USRRC replicas and all have been done to a high standard, with commensurately higher cost. And most recently, the original slab side 260/289 MkI has seen a renaissance. Again, all done to a very high standard. And don't forget the Daytona Coupe!

These cars all offer the "Cobra experience" to those that cannot otherwise afford the "real deal", as well as an option of a usable car for the caretakers of the originals that no longer care to risk them as drivers. And, there is retained value and sometimes money to be made on the really good replicas as well, as there is a healthy market for both new and used models.

Please post pictures, thoughts and impressions. Critiques and comparisons of the various offerings are encouraged, but replica haters should post elsewhere... :)

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    In general there are three high quality builders
    1 Kirkham
    2 superformance
    3 Sheby of interest these are made by one of the above 2 depending on the actual car....

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

era makes a very nice car. I would actually prefer it to a Shelby licensed fiberglass car and a close second to the Kirkham.

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    +1 If I was paying full fare for a MkIII, I would likely go for an ERA as well. But I have a Superformance due to timing and opportunity, and it is very nice. Just had it out this very afternoon as a matter of fact...

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    #5 NürScud, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    I have the pdf file which has the analysis (photos and explanation) of their Cobra build ! From the chassis to the body, engine etc.

Fantastic.

Kirkham Motorsports

PS: If anyone wants the pdf file, feel free to send me your e-mail address.

Best

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had a 1965 Cobra kit car that I drove for a few years. I did not build the car but the gentleman who did was a master builder. He said it had 642 hp.Of course I am not sure but it was quick. All a remember at an elevated speed you would lose the steering. The front end would come up, not good.

When I lived in NY I saw a 289 Cobra at the new York car show. It was the continuation series, whatever that means. I should have bought the car but I did not. Damn!

These cars are a blast to drive and to look at at. I have no clue which are best. In my view, the best one is the one you own.

I will go with that :)

Lee

7. jetdok5

jetdok5 Karting

Oct 4, 2014
    warren ohio usa
    Full Name:
    bruce gray
    looked at a few before I bought mine and the Everett-Morrison cars did have a good reputation. Since then, I have looked at just about everything. Im very happy with the car that I have, rock solid. very nice kit.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've heard good things about Everett-Morrison back in the day. Contemporary Classics was another. I recall that both used Jag IRS?

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa

10. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Just returned today after driving our 2001 Superformance 427 on our 20th Annual Snakes to the Lake trip (SF Bay Area to Lake Tahoe and back). We had 50+ Cobras, all replicas, all different mfgs, colors, styles (427, 289, Coupe) and drive trains.

We purchased our SPF new in 2001 mainly due to the inherit quality of their assembly line manufacturing. Also, I can't build a car, won't buy a "kit car", nor will pay an individual to build a kit. So, this was the only option/solution at the time. And we are still enjoying her today!

I drive her mostly on cruises and to gatherings, however for about 4 years I open-tracked her with the Nor Cal Shelby Club at Sear's Point and Thunderhill. Quite a thrill going 140 down the front straight at Thunderhill!!!

Have fun,
    Randy...

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Sounds fun! I had the opportunity to drive Sears Point back in the day when it was Infineon Raceway...

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 msdesignltd, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had a lot of really nice cars..

But none were quite as memorable as my Kirkham..
    With unparalelled amazement You look at the car...you open the door...you sit in it..you turn the key..
    And you become Thor..just invinceable...nothing overshadows a 1900 lb.427 cu.Ford Kirkham Cobra with a cam and 650 HP.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

albert328gts and N17RO like this.
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THe Kirkhams are amazing back in 2003/4 i had a shelby aluminum body replica or continuation and it was a painted blue Kirkham built car with a shelby CSX number on it a really was a nice car.. wish i didn't sell it.. amazing build job...I ordered it from Shelby found out they bought the basic car from Kirkham...

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Kirkham
    Era and of course the Anglais cars.

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Larry - please post some pix of your CSX8000 build here...

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #16 LARRYH, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    I will do that ....i do not have the car yet but they did send some pictures of it from the factory let me see if i can figure out how to post them once I get the car...will definitely post them... It is a very unique build in that we copied an original slab side with a pretty cool color combination .... princess blue with red interior and black dash full street bumpers wire wheels etc.
    Except it is a fiberglass body...it will have a ford crate motor dressed to look like a289...

17. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Larry - Consider a 331 stroker motor from Keith Craft or Lykins for your car. Dress it up with cobra intake and valve covers and a round chrome air cleaner with the 289 HiPo decal in it. It will look the same as a traditional small block, but have more torque and HP with no penalty...

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #18 william, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Replica ?

Why buy a replica when you can still get an authentic Cobra?

The ACs are still made in UK, by the people who used to make them before, on the same jigs and with the same methods.

You can buy a genuine 289, or a 427, of a FIA car with a continuation chassis number and registered as an AC. They are made using the same drawings and methods of fabrication as the cars shipped to Shelby in the 60s. Carroll Shelby imported rolling chassis from AC, made in England.

The chassis are tubular ladder frames, and the bodies are aluminium rolled by hand on the English wheel. No cheap composite here!!

Also, the FIA 289 cars made by AC Heritage are the ONLY ones homologated to race in historic series.

Check this website:

https://www.acheritage.co.uk/

AC Heritage is the official guardian of all the AC archives, patents, drawings, and registers of the AC make.

They are located on the site of the old Brooklands track, in the suburb of London.
    If you are a Cobra fan, and happen to be in England, don't miss a visit to AC Heritage.

Also on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/TeamAC?fref=ts

19. big ease

big ease Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #19 big ease, Sep 26, 2016
  20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Wow, that's a great tip and would be a great way to go to get something as close to original as possible.

21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #21 msdesignltd, Sep 27, 2016
    To My Eyes...That body is an interpretation and not a copy.
    Then again , no 2 Real Cobras are the same anyway..all the wheel arche flairs were a little different

Kirkham is the only builder with the correct Profile

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very interesting about the brookland Ac . I think i may have talked to them at laguna seca but just sent an inquiry ...
    It would be interesting to see what they charge .. for an aluminum slab side AC..

23. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
  24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I would eventually paint this car too. it is an amazing car however!!!