Corvette XP-700 and Mako Shark I:two different cars? | FerrariChat

Corvette XP-700 and Mako Shark I:two different cars?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    My memory is fading but I remember once seeing a picture of Bill Mitchell standing between the Shark (later called Mako Shark I) and the earlier XP-700 concept car.
    Now I can't find that pic on the net.It was taken t Road America where Mitchell had his own GM show car corral.
    But no less than Bill Mitchell VP in charge of Styling at that time himself told me the Shark was built atop the XP-700.Tht wa around 1961 so as I say memories re sketchy.
    40 year plus Mark Jordan son of Chuck Jordan (a Mitchell successor) echoed that and as a teenager he had driven the Shark (he can admit squirreling round on Woodward Ave.)
    Yet I red at a big swap meet (Indiana) maybe around 2006 some swap meter was selling the nose of the XP-700 headlights/grille and all. Could have been the replica noses sold at the time but those didn't have the chrome trim.
    I think only a former GM designer there are 1960-'62 would know the answer to this...