Domestic Performance Aftermarket Future? | FerrariChat

Domestic Performance Aftermarket Future?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by lashss, Oct 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    With the recent domestic performance cars so good right "out of the box", is the aftermarket industry in trouble?

I recently test drove a 2015 Z/28 and it was superb. After poking around it for 30 minutes, I couldn't really think of anything that I'd want to upgrade.

What can an aftermarket manufacturer offer at this point that is actually quantifiable?

LSJ

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    no, the whole american economy is built on "wants" not "needs"......

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own a 2015 Z/28 and I also love the car. The power is low at 505 hp although it helps that THE CAR IS 300 LBS lighter than a standard Camaro SS. I love the handling as well and a great sound.

There is a tuner on Utube that takes the engine up to 800 hp if you wish. I think there will always be a market for tuned cars. Your point is well taken and the newer cars hsve raised the bar.

Best

Lee

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not everybody has a Z28. What happens is someone has a camaro SS, a few years or months down the line they wnat to go faster stop better or corner harder. Actualy in reality they just want a car that can do these things even if they dont.

I magine i you have a dodge challenger bought for say 35K, youre probably not going to buy a 68K hellcat but you might go for a 5k supercharger upgrade.

Most aftermarket stuff is exhausts intakes and reflashes, wheels etc, not major stuff.

The bigger threat to the aftermarket is the epa. They are trying to crush the so called for racing use only aftermarket(look what happend to harley) which means only epa compliant aftermarket which means maybe only a few companies survive.

Yep the z28 is a fantastic car, and now the current Camaro SS has the same laptimes if not feel. We wait to see if the next z28 is going to be lighetr again and NA or follow the z06 route with excess power and supercharger which adds weight.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sir, I don't know how old you are, we may be of similar vintage, but did you ever think you'd say 505 ponies is low? :)

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    For someone like me the only joy in owning cars is taking them apart and making them better (at least for me) when I'm done the car usually goes and I buy some more(9 new ones so far this year). I of course am far from normal (in most respects), but I'm sure there are others with similar desires.

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #7 lashss, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    As far as quantifiable performance mods go, is there really anything an owner would want to do to their regular Camaro SS that would even be worth the cost/hassle?

I'm trying to imagine a regular SS Camaro owner trying to build their own Z28 with parts instead of just buying a used one.

If they even understand the Z28 and the benefit of the specific hardware found on it, they may realize buying one used would be better/easier/cheaper.

Even the 1LEs are so cheap now that they would be a good choice for a performance minded owner over a regular SS.

It seems like the OEMs are offering great track cars for every budget now. You don't even have to allow for post purchase mods anymore.

LSJ

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #8 leead1, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    I owned a SS camaro than I bought a '15 Z/28. Your points on the your post are perfectly said.

The hp from the SS to the Z is small but meaningful. The things that make the car so much more are;

3000 lbs lighter
    Awesome exhaust note that growls
    Special balloon tires that look weird but improve handling

I am sure there is more technology that makes the car shift so well. It is one of my favorite drivers car.

I do agree it is getting harder for tuners to up grade the new performance cars. I think they will always have a market. They will make body panel changes, higher hp, Paint changes thar pop and plastic protection applicablkays and so on.

Your point is still a good one.

Best

Lee