i think this is the best bang for the buck out there.... | FerrariChat

i think this is the best bang for the buck out there....

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by henryr, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #1 henryr, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i've been looking for another toy to tide me over..... bought this 2 owner 90 zr1 with 26k on the clock.

gotta say it is a ton of fun for the price of a used set of 575 modulars. pretty solid as far as squeaks and rattles. uneven, rough pavement seems to unsettle the car.

it has been a while since i sold the 575 so i haven't decided if this is fast or just feels fast. seems like it has great power and its fun to row thru the gears. way over geared as 6th is useless.

some typical gm issues. passenger side headlight stopped flipping a week after i got it (looks like a $50 plastic gear fix) and not all the speakers work (bose amp issues from what i google) but it is completely refreshing to be over on the corvette chat boards and see the guys working on "less expensive" fixes for $200 chevy parts.

entry is a little tight and i haven't decided if i like the seating position.

for the life of me, i cannot think of another sports car that hasn't appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. I'd agree. I was at the Mecum auction, and one went for something like 12k plus fees. Had no idea. Another car is the early Viper. Still cheap.

3. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ditto. Now is the time to find a clean ZR1.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I happen to have a low mile 93 white/red that is both Bloomington Gold and NCRS Top Flight certified for sale on another form if anyone is interested.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    styling has held up well too! I forget, did the ZR1 have a little different body than the regular vette from the same time?

6. boyking

boyking Karting

Aug 27, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    John A. Walkowiak
    I have a 1991 ZR-1 that I absolutely love. Massive torque and indestructible engine, and yes you can buy parts at NAPA. I always felt my 360 Spider was going to grenade behind my head. Too tightly strung for me. Check out the ZR-1 Form/Registry for tons of great information. I only had one of four Bose speakers and all it did was crackle. The stereo IS worth saving. When fixed it sounds great and is plenty powerful. Send your speakers to the shop below. They will put in new amps warrantied for life. Quick turn around. I was very pleased with their service.

Enjoy your ZR-1.

John

Corvette Radio

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thanks, ill check it out. i really havent felt the need for the radio yet......

car needs some type of steering wheel upgrade...

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Good deal. Keep us updated.

9. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Yes, the rear quarters were wider than a stock vette.

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    C4's are really the first Corvette that was "world class".

ZR1's are great as are the 93 and later LT1's, but that extra 100 hp is a kick in the tail...

When I was doing these I kept the roof in all the time.. That tends to keep the squeaks and rattles to a minimum.. If you make a habit of taking the roof out the dash and areas around it will develop squeaks from the flexing. All of my cars were Z07's, which are a bit stiffer spring wise than the ZR-1, but the ZR1 has a bigger rear bar to make up for it.

The ZR1's essentially have the same front suspension as the Z07 package for the LT cars, stiff but not horrible.

If you go with an LT1, look for the hard to find Z07 package (bigger brakes, stiffer springs and bars, wider wheels up front, cockpit adjustable shocks, oil cooler and stiffer suspension bushings). Typically they made less than 500 Z07 cars per year, so they are about as rare as ZR1's in terms of production numbers. With attrition and folks not knowing that the Z07 cars were actually pretty rare, I would bet that there are far fewer Z07 cars left in the world than there are ZR1's.

C4's are like an Armani suit... They'll always look good, the basic proportions are right.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I also had a ZR1 john is right and I would add just an awesome drivers car.

Enjoy in safety

Lee

12. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Nice find, congrats and enjoy! Such a great car for what they're currently going for.

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    nothing like a 180mph super car, lotus built engine, and world class engineering for under $20k. These have to go up. Could this be the new 427/435?

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Lotus designed the engine, it was actually assembled by Mercury Marine....

15. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    The door skins are different too....gradually widen to match the rear fenders. Makes for a very stealth widebody that is more integrated than the flares on newer widebody Vettes.

I still have my 90 ZR-1 with a Lingenfelter 415 stroker. 12:1 compression, 660 hp at 7500 rpm....still a blast to drive after all these years.......

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My next toy will likely be a ZR-1...I'm manic in what I like / want, but the ZR-1 has been a constant. I prefer a '93-'95, but love all the years.

Great pick up - good luck with it!

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... so what's under the other cover?

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    another vette

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Gonna mate em, huh?

20. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    People are always telling me get a Vette as they have the best bang for the buck by far. There is a ton of truth to that statement. Congratulations!

21. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    These cars are fabulous in stock form and really respond to any mods. Just took mine out last weekend for a meetup halfway between Houston/Dallas. She ran very well up to double the speed limit. They really come alive over 100mph, not that they are a slouch down low. Its just the way they can add on speed easily that was impressive. Alot of cars make noise and don't feel much. Not with these.

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What mods do you have on yours?

23. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Oh, I don't have any. Mine is like brand new and works flawlessly. Sorry if my statement was misleading. Was trying to convey that these motors respond very well to mods.

24. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    As a former C4 owner (x2!) of a white/red 91 L98, and a 96LT4, these cars are definitely the cream of the crop. That LT5 motor is so smooth, and the 3" wider rear end over stock really looks the business on the road. Are the rear tires 315s or 335?

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Got it. Not that I would mod one anyway, but you are right - I understand they do respond well to even mild mods.