For owners or fans of the Corvette big block V8s and other V8s | FerrariChat

For owners or fans of the Corvette big block V8s and other V8s

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by andrew911, Oct 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I stumbled on this on fleabay & purchased one (I'm not affiliated with this seller, and other sellers have the same product). One of my short list of cars I'd love to own some day but probably never will- is a '67 tri-power convertible vette (although after looking at a mint '66 with 425 HP 427 4-barrel this past weekend at our C&C, I'd love a '66 too!).

Anyway, I know this is the car section vs collectible section, but since it's the American Muscle section of Ferrari chat I wanted to post it here because posts in the collectible section are predominantly Ferrari related. I wanted to share because the quality of this piece at this price point is so impressive- if this were a model of a Ferrari motor, it would be 10x more expensive (and if it were for sale in the Ferrari Store, about 30x more expensive :) )- I love it and it's now sitting on my model shelf next to 1/18 scale Ferraris and other cars!

A quick search shows other similar V8 models by Liberty classics - Ford, earlier vette, etc...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-427-Big-Block-V8-Model-Engine-Diecast-1-6-Scale-Motor-/261376905869?hash=item3cdb47128d:g:K0YAAOSwSdZWcxOW

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's really cool! Thanks.

Let me see what else they have...

3. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had the '66 version - twice. Great car ...back in the early 80's ...and for about an hour of driving it. After that your feet were cooked medium to well-done, your head was pounding, and you yearned for a nice quiet room. And that was when I was 21.

Got another one about four years ago and sold it a year after that. You can never go back home again. Much prefer my Porsche and Ferrari when I get the time for a drive.

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for that insight Kevin- I always love to hear a description of what some of these cars are like to live with/experience in the "real world"...

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    for about 8 summers I basically DD a 66 SB convert. Yeah there is nothing subtle, comfy or refined about those mid year corvettes but that is in fact the reason you drive one. It's a very raw experience. It takes you back in time to when the driver was actually involved in driving a car. They are simple and fun. If you want comfort and ease of use, look somewhere else.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    What's interesting is I have a couple of books that are reprints of C2 period road tests, and the road tests of the day allude to the small block being the better balanced car, more practical car (not surprising) to buy- of course today as a specialty car, I'd want the big block :)

I wonder how those 8 summers would have been daily driving a 427? More tickets, less comfort, bigger fuel bills and a few more interesting memories I'd guess ;)

7. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm a long time owner of a mid-year solid lifter big block. I agree with much of what's been said here already, but a few of my own comments:

1. Having one today is about taking yourself back in time, cars were much more finicky then and today require more hands on care and feeding to manage the quirks associated with 1960's technology ( additives for gas, valve lash adjustments, sticky carb floats) compared to modern car. Plus it is a 50 year old car.
    2. That said, relative to the period the handling and braking (with 4 wheel discs) is acceptable and fun, corrected for diminished (greatly) capability compared to today's sports cars.
    3. Having a lot of low end torque makes for relaxed driving when you want it: my car has exhaust out the back and is quiet except when under load. Induction noise is greater than exhaust noise under heavy acceleration. From a torque delivery standpoint, it is a bit the opposite of the Ferrari.
    4. Tire technology has come a long way - I retain period correct bias ply tires with flex. squirm,and tram lining. I could clean this up with radials, but for me the car is more about the way it was.
    5. You really don't stay cool in the car, especially when the weather is warmer. No A/C with mechanical lifter engines, plus the engine sits well behind the front axle line putting a big lump of hot metal up close and personal. Engine cooling is marginal at best in traffic, but since it a point A to point A car, I stay out of traffic.

All in all a lot fun (with some frustration mixed in) on balance and why I've kept the car so many years.

8. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    #8 Rickenbach, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drove a '66 L79 with sidepipes as my DD this summer. Never failed to put a smile on my face, and the face of those driving around me. Well mannered when it wants to be, and never over 165 on the temp gauge. I love the rawness of the car for short distances, but I drove it on an 1600 mile trip when I first bought it, and that was a bit much. Ive had Big Blocks before, and prefer the high output 327 for driving and lack of maintenance. Such an icon for a small amount of money.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Wow- great info here. Yes I agree at this point these may be better as an A to A car, but that's OK since for many of us the weekend cars are just that (Ferrari or otherwise)- the louder/harsher/more extreme the experience the better (within reason of course :) ). Rickenbach, that's a great picture by the way.

Neil- Regarding maintenance, if it's a weekend say 2-3K mile/year car, doesn't it stay "in tune" pretty well once the carbs are set up? How about the ignition system- someone told me the solid state may cause issues now 50 years on- or is there an acceptable (i.e. OEM looking) after market system vs. the original system if it gives issues now (or an acceptable substitute if car still has points/condenser?) If used regularly (at least a couple of times a month), I'd presume the only gas additive would be for the non-leaded gas.. and Valve lash every 10K miles or so? Do the carbs behave better with more regular usage like a couple of times a month? How about the brakes- have all of the disc brake cars had a permanent fix for the brake pistons by now? (I think I read that they would corrode in the earlier cars but there were aftermarket stainless steel which I would think be a permanent solution for this)? I could go onto a vette forum if I were close to buying one/researching heavier, but so many knowledgeable folks in this section...

I'm more curious on this stuff at this point- not sure why I suddenly became interested in the big block vetts- always loved the '67 especially though.

10. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    '67's were always my favorite too... and for a lot of others as well. This is why they are generally the most expensive of the mid-years. Arguably mid-year Corvettes are one of the most stunning cars ever built.

The ignitions can be upgraded to an electronic Pertronix for about $120. It all sits under the cap and the only difference from stock is an extra switched 12V wire. The disc brakes on the '65 and up cars are really good and both easy and inexpensive to repair. The parking brake is actually a little more sophisticated and troublesome with its miniature drum brake system within the rear rotor.

The rest of the car is typical Chevy and as such is very friendly on your pocket. If you have the itch for it go ahead and scratch it. You could be a fan for life... or not.

Along with the reasons I stated earlier, and at the risk of being sappy, what really got me out of that game is that as my own family got bigger my desire to watch them all grow up brings way more joy than driving around in a 450HP eggshell. There's just too many distracted drivers where I live and I prefer the warm fuzzy of airbags and reinforced metal bodies to big blocks and sidepipes. I almost shock myself at stating that - but maybe I'm maturing? Nah, probably just an anomaly.

11. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil

Andrew,
    I'll be out of the order asked, but my experience has been:
    1. If the car is driven reasonably regularly things like carb floats sticking are reduced. Once a week is probably enough.
    2. Valve lash for mechanical lifters is a little more frequent for best performance, 500-600 miles (I'm obsessive).
    3. My car is transistor ignition (TI in GM speak). There are replacements for every component, no problem, up to and including TI pulse amplifiers (originals based on germanium semiconductors) with new circuit boards in original cases. So you can upgrade the original K-66 TI option (mandatory on the solid lifter cars originally) so the system works with modern internals but looks original. I have replaced the TI pulse amplifier once with a modern circuit board in original case and nothing else there.
    4. Most disc brake cars have or should have a stainless steel brake conversion, which eliminates the weak point around the caliper piston bore seals that leak, allow some moisture in, rust, and cause the system to fail. I've had stainless steel sleeved calipers and master cylinder for 25+ years without problems. I also changed all the brake lines to stainless steel and installed new flex lines at the front.
    5. I use a tetraethyl lead additive that is mixed in a solvent to care for octane need and valve lubrication. Inside the corvette hobby are a number of vendors who sell such additives. Not a big deal, just have to have some around when you fill up.

They are fun cars - pretty different to today and good in their own right.

12. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #12 John B, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've owned a '67 L71 427/435 Tripower roadster for about 10 years and thoroughly enjoy it. There's nothing like just tooling around on a nice sunny day with the top down, my left arm resting on the top of the door and the side pipes burbling. It's surprisingly fast and would spin the skinny bias plys in 4th. I put some Coker red line radials on for driving which improved the ride, handling and traction quite a bit and retain the bias plys and rally-sport wheels for shows (which I did once). I use Brad Penn oil and ZDDP+ to keep the flat tappet solid lifters happy. It tended to get hot sitting in traffic in high ambient temperatures, but sealing up all the gaps in the radiator shroud helped a lot. Other than that, it's been fairly trouble free. I've put about 6,000 miles on it so far.

13. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow. I've owned about 15 Vettes and seen thousands more but yours may be the nicest I've ever seen. Nice!

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    You guys have offered up some excellent real world ownership information- thanks for the insight!

I have a question on wheels/tires- what is the largest tire on a stock rim? With all that torque, I'd imagine even with modern tires it's still too narrow? John your vette looks like the tires may be wider? Beautiful car by the way- I'm in north NJ- have you been to any of the local car & coffee events (actually, the big group is called Cars and Croissants)? Actually I just noticed Neil is north NJ too- I'll have to look for you guys at any local events..

Here is a more detailed question- is there a custom wheel that looks stock with the exception that it is wider and can handle a wider tire (especially in the rear)? I think I've heard of those for the 60's mopar cars (Hemi, etc), but I not quite sure- the goal being to have the car look as stock as possible, but be able to get some of that power down in a straight line...or is a modern tire (vs bias) on the stock rims enough to handle the torque...at least in 2nd gear if not 1st? I had a Ferrari 360 that lost traction from the power in 1st and 2nd which was frustrating- I don't have the issue with the F355 I now have as the power kicks in higher when rolling at a faster rate than the 360, but I'm digressing in an American Muscle section ;)

I find it interesting reading the book I have with period car reviews that the 327 cars were better balanced (seemed to be more or less recommended for actual day to day use in a couple of tests), whereas the 427 was a brute- probably more a straight line racer to beat anything at the stop light. That isn't surprising to me, but interesting in that with the C2 corvette, Chevy offered two separate cars really depending on motor, as opposed to the later C4 ZR1 which was a brute in it's day (King of the Hill!), yet still a car with handling/braking similar to the base car, so you had the option of a sports car that was similar in concept to the base sports car, just a bunch faster. It seems in the 60's with the 327 vs 427 you had to make up your mind when purchasing if you wanted something quick/fast to attempt to handle with European cars, or an outright "7 liter mopar eater" that might plow a bit in front if you actually tried to push it into a turn.

15. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I have 245/45-17 on mine with no rubbing issues. You can go wider with offset trailing arms. There are companies that make both the turbine and rally wheels in larger sizes.

16. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I purchased a set of the reproduction Kelsey Hayes wheels and put Coker red line radials on them for driving duty. I don't recall the size and the car is away in winter storage at the moment, but next time I stop by I'll check and let you know. I've taken the car to our local Cars & Coffee in Shrewsbury a couple times.

17. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Hi John, great car! Would love to know more about your car. Original engine? Documented? I have complied data on these cars for many years. They are great cars, enjoy yours.

18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    these are great cars I have had many of the big block corvettes I own a 67 427/435 conv. with 4:11 rear end and side pipes (have had it about 20 years) the car is white with blue top and interior .. I run racing fuel only in it and when I drive it I run it to 6500 rpm (redline) virtually every time it is the best of all the 30 or so corvettes I have owned....she runs like a scalded dog love it..
    The fastest corvette I had was the L88 I owned it had 4:56 and was an unrestored Bloomington gold and Duntov car and I would drive that occasionally same way .. but I ended up selling that a couple of years ago when prices got so high I felt I should sell....but I still like my 67 better then any ,,,,It is the one car I own that I will never sell...these cars take you to a different time..

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5gBT06FQ0[/ame]