new zr1 | FerrariChat

new zr1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 95spiderman, Jan 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    http://static.ibsrv.net/newsletters/cf/Jan17/1.png

not sure what this is going to be but im sure it will be interesting. will it have a high revving na motor but maybe less power than z06? 600hp and 8000 rpm would be nice. maybe turbos and 750 hp? either way they better figure out the over heating issues. will it be the track star of the lineup like viper acr with massive down force? how much can they sell it for? cant wait to see it for real. will have epic comparison tests with new gt2rs for sure

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Clearly its got some downforce. Is it going to be the ultimate hipo street car, or a trackable car. if its trackable its going to have lost a lot of weight and will need to beat a viper acr round a track, which is some going.

Purely speculating I think that wing indicates trackable, because for high speed on street its not necessary and would slow straightline speed down. but that is pure conjecture.

For sure they have some existing car in their crosshairs.

The previous ZR1 was the street cara nd the previous z06 the track car, but then the current z06 is more like the prior Zr1 than z06.

In any event given how well a regul and z06 vette perform this thing is going to be full on bonkers whatever it is.

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Oooh, i didnt notice that crazy wing on the back! That has to mean this is the track version. Which makes sense since current z06 has bad track rep. Switch from c6 where z06 was track and zr1 street. This car will be amazing for sure

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My friend had the new Z06 and it was one of the few times I have been scared as a passenger of a car. The acceleration is something else - and I've been in several supercars.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I do remember you with a ****-eating grin at No Problem Raceway.

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    ZR1 is above the Z06 so it should have 700+.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    look for the front of the line peeps to be paying way over sticker.......

the back of the line peeps to be buying them $10-30k under.

9. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    This article is more than likely incorrect with regards to the LT5 engine. The current thinking is that the LT5 (6.2L, twin cam, NA) is going in the mid-engine car (Corvette or Cadillac), that will probably be intro'd at Detroit 2018 and go on sale in late 2018. Most believe the LT5 to be too tall to fit under the C7's hood (even the taller hood on the prototype C7 in the pictures). This car may (!) not even BE a ZR1 but rather an extremely track focused Z06 (a Corvette "ACR" or "GT3RS" is you will). We'll know soon enough.

Jimmy

10. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Completely agree.

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #11 jimmyb, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    It is an exciting time for the Corvette. It has been announced that the Bowling Green plant is going to close down "for months" sometime this year (June is the speculation, which would be the close of the 2017 MY production). They are re-doing the entire production line, which was last re-done in 1997 (the start of C5 production).
    So, I guess we can all read into this info whatever we would like....I'm speculating this is the up-fit for the mid-engine car!!!! Between the new "paint" facility ($400 million PLUS, to open in April) and $290 million for the production line, GM is sure throwing a LOT of cash at the Bowling Green facility here lately. The "paint" facility is what really gave the mid-engine rumor traction....who spends $400+ million on a "paint" facility at an existing plant?

12. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    The new mid engine car is a done deal. I know this for a fact but if I posted how I know I would have to kill each and everyone of you on this site. LOL.

But seriously, it's a done deal and will race at Le Mans in '18.

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Will the Corvette team be only mid-engine from LeMans 2018 going forward?

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Interesting question considering the DP cars were replaced with Cadillac this year.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Pretty awesome pairing. How will they be distinguished by price and performance though?

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The mid engine vette is something I'm very excited for. Think about saying, "we can't extract anymore performance from this platform so we need to go mid engine to made the car faster than a Z06". The Z06 is already manic.

The mid engine vette will be as good as anything.

17. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    If the mid-engine car is shown at the January Detroit show (longtime rumor) , then the C8R would have to be shown pretty close as Daytona isn't long after.... Like some others here, "I could tell ya but I'd have to kill ya"...I had the ME car confirmed to me by someone who would know...I wish I could say more as we had an interesting conversation about problems of ME cars. I'm sure they will nail the chassis, just hope they get the styling right and give it the name it deserves

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Apparently a DOHC V8 on the way too.

Hopefully it wont have sucky eps and will have a stick option.

19. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Would think they would have to/ want to pair it w/ a caddy version; economies of scale, halo branding, Cadillac's V series commitment, etc. And, Cadillac did just win the 24 of Daytona with its brand spanking new mid engined car.

Excited to see how all this unfolds.

Oh, and going with the long rumored "Zora" with regards to naming.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #21 boxerman, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    For many years people have spoken about corvette beign a brand, which means more product. if you lookat the current corvette rnage, we have the regular C7 through z06 and perhaps the ZLI thats a product spread from 50-100k. How to expand that furtehr up the scale.

It'l be interesting. Corvette is front engined pushrod V8 for price like harley is a big v twin, its the formula. My guess is they are going to make both mid engined and front engines cars, that way they can increase total market share and not abandon the faithful.

Most corvettes sold are not the extreme performance versions and front engine offers a style comfort and space many buyers prefer. the front engiend car also has performance that already exceeds what 70% or more of buyer can and do use.

At the same time, if we look at porche GT3 sales, Audi R8 or acura NSX to name a few, there is a market price niche above where the vette is now, which the mid engined car can fill, both in terms of price, status and performance. Chev is clearly interested in being the performce benchmark, and so far imo is suceeding, that has massive halo effect.

Witht he right architecture both cars could share most componants so building both shouldlnt be a big huge issue or expense. Front engined up to 100K price, mid engined from 100-150K. Sharing so many componants in common, its got to be really profitable too.

Can you imagine the z06 version of the mid engined car, if they get it right, nothing will compete. the danger is the mid engined car is just loaded with crap, because thats what 120k "buyers expect" hopefully there will be a vicerla lighweight tracktimne enthusiast version, like porche has done with the GT3 and GT4. Otherwise we are just looking at bloated techno pig like the NSX, and sales will be comesuratly small till they fade to nothing.

Still this car could be so good, why would anyone interested in a perfomance car buy anything else, but that means light weight and steering feel to name two critical componants, think Mclaren 570 purity not acura NSX.. Plus a stick please, yes it will only be a 30% takeup, but that 30% is the driver core upon which your cred is built. As much a sit is about paper numbers, sportscars today need to differentiate by being driving fun.

As to caddy version, seems like caddy wants to be a euro car company, so i can see it happening, but hopefully thta does nto mean the chevy version is the neutrerd version for market differentiation.

IMO caddy shoudl stick to building quintissential american cars, with lots of power, that can also brake and handle. The CT6 being a step in the right direction, some of the show cars being an even better step. Bring on the big V8 and a V12, a turbo 6 is powerful with bad noise, it just dont cut it in this segemnt. Oh and let me actualy drive the fricking thing, can I have a version with out vibrating seats and pinging evertime I change lanes. Plus where is the caddy upscale crossover.
    I e let me turn all the carp off permenantly.

21. Murph660207

Murph660207 Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Tom Murphy
  22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
  23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hope all that aero gets the extra power to the ground. z06 was traction limited at 650 hp so this will be major challenge for chevy.