2018 Mustang | FerrariChat

2018 Mustang

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by classic308, Jan 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    All of the mechanical and technological changes sound great, but I'm not fond of the styling refresh, particularly the front fascia. The 2015 restyle was (and continues to be) a great looking car with clean lines. The new front fascia doesn't really seem to fit, but that's just my opinion. The current car has only been out for three model years, so it seems very early to get a refresh anyway...

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking at photos of the 2017 and 2018 fronts in side by side pictures shows only subtle differences, in my opinion. Both versions look OK and it is probably a matter of personal taste as to which change here and there is better. Most of the discernible difference appears to be in the lower front valence. I doubt that a layman will notice much change.

3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Nice to see GT350 tech trickling down. Not crazy about the front either, will need to see it in person.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks good in darker colors.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I drove 2 2017 Mustangs about 2 weeks ago.

The first was the Ecoboost 4 banger. Enough power but OMG, the exhaust and engine noise is just horrible. I cannot believe anyone would find it acceptable for a long drive.

Then I drove the V6. MEH! This has no power and no engine or exhaust noise at all. But it's cheaper than Ecoboost by about 2-3 grand but incredibly disappointing for "a Mustang".

Ford also plays games with the optional equipment you can get on the various models. For example, on the V6 you can't get a manual and you can't get Apple Car play. Some other options also are not offered which makes the care less desirable to buy. It seems they wanted to push people out of V6's and into ecoboost.

But, I wasn't buying it. That motor makes some of the worst noises I've heard in a modern car. And, I can't stand fake stitching in the dash. Straight out of 1970.

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's why they are dropping the 6 for 2018; mustangs imho should always be v8s.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Lots of companies do that. Since I don't buy new cars, it makes finding a used car with the options you want incredibly difficult. I hate that a lot of companies have made the lighting packages completely separate packages that very few people go for.

8. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Wish there was an opportunity for you to hear my Laguna Seca. It's not the new flat plane crank, but sounds every bit bad-a$$ as you can get. Stock exhaust, the only change I made was removing the side pipe baffles.

I go back and forth between my Laguna and 355, such different sounding motors and each fantastic in their own right.

9. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Same here, but I added GT500 mufflers to mine, a little more "bark" to it. I find myself deliberately riding around in a lower gear just to enjoy the exhaust tone.

Mine's a 2012, silver and red.

10. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    That's funny, I do the same thing with the gearing, just to listen to the motor.

Mine is a 2013 in black.