2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE | FerrariChat

2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Staylor33813, Feb 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Staylor33813

Staylor33813 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Quote:

In stock form, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is an absolute monster on the race track. That's apparently not good enough for Chevy though. That's why the automaker is giving the ZL1 the 1LE treatment to make it even more of a track-ready weapon.

The Camaro ZL1 1LE made its debut today at Daytona International Speedway, just before this weekend's running of the Daytona 500.

The most obvious visual change between this and a standard ZL1 is the addition downforce-generating aerodynamic devices–there's a giant rear wing, and big dive planes at the front. There's also a new, larger front splitter and a larger grille opening to feed air into the engine.

Power comes from the same 6.2-liter LT4 V8 that's in the standard ZL1. That means 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque. Interestingly, it seems that the ZL1 1LE will only be offered with a six-speed manual–not the new 10-speed auto Chevy has been so excited about lately.

Arguably the most significant change for the ZL1 1LE, though, is with the suspension. Instead of the standard ZL1's Magnetic Ride shocks, the ZL1 1LE gets Multimatic's genius spool-valve dampers. These are the same sort of shocks used to astonishing effect in the old Camaro Z/28. Beyond the dampers, the ZL1 1LE gets additional suspension tweaks to make it stiffer than the standard car.

The ZL1 1LE also gets new 19-inch forged alloy wheels wrapped in ultra-wide Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires–305s at the front and 325s at the rear.

All in all, these changes add up to a car that's three seconds faster around GM's proving ground than a standard ZL1.

Quote:
    Just before the running of the 2017 Daytona 500 Chevrolet has taken the wraps off the new 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE. What is it? In short, a ZL1 with enhanced aero and some cool suspension technology.

As if the new Camaro ZL1 wasn't going to be track-ready enough, the 1LE version cranks things up a few notches with Multimatic DSSV (Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve) suspension featuring monotube adjustable-ride-height front strut dampers, 19-inch forged aluminum wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires (305s up front and 325s in the back), and a 6-speed manual as God intended.

The power still comes from a blown LT4 V-8 with 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, which all dumps right to the rear wheels.

Visually, up front it has larger upper and lower grille openings for more airflow, dive planes, the last-gen Z28's "Flow Tie," an aluminum hood with a carbon fiber insert, and a satin black wrap on the hood and mirrors. Out back, it gets black taillamps, black bow ties, and a carbon fiber wing.

Other fun notes:

Over three years of development went into the tires with Goodyear.
    The wheels are 19x11-inches up front and 19x12 out back.
    That 10-speed automatic transmission Chevy's so excited about? It's not offered.
    Dive planes. Need we say more?
    This thing is going to be really fast. In fact, it's 3 seconds quicker around GM's 2.9-mile Milford road course than the regular ZL1.
    It's 60 pounds lighter than the base ZL1, thanks in part to a lighter rear seat and the DSSV dampers instead of the Magnetic Ride suspension.
    If you thought the ZL1 was a monster, well, apparently the ZL1 1LE is what it turns into when it gets angry.

Like it is on the SS and V-6 Camaros, the 1LE will be an option package for the ZL1. If you want the ultimate track-weapon Camaro, you'll have to order it.
    Name: 2018-chevrolet-camaro_100593581_l.jpg
    Views: 4199
    Size: 188.8 KB

Name: landscape-1487973096-image.jpg
    Views: 4151
    Size: 91.0 KB

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Considering how great the new ZL1 already is, all i can say is ...

YES !!

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Seems like as in the z06 we get the z28 chassis, without the lighter NA engine. Somehow the ls7 has yet to make the cut, yett he rest of the z28 is ready.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow! gm is really focusing on tracking. just like with viper acr, im glad they make it even if I probably wouldn't buy it.

but I have feeling this package is going to be expensive since it has most of the stuff that made the old z28 a $75k car. so maybe close to $10k package? unfortunately, I think that will make it a difficult sell.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #5 ralfabco, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Super track cars for the masses.

I find the black-out treatment fugly.

Only option - solid black - problem solved.

Are they still going to produce a N/A Z-28 ?

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Interesting question. Seems the hipo NA v8 is missing. It didnt appear on the vette and now as with the z06 we have the track car running the heavy SC engine. Everyhting about this car is z28 except the motor. The ls7 is still produced as a crate motor and I read its a gas guzzler issue.

A z28 maybe slightly less hp and what 200-250lbs less weight.

As quick as this car is for a few laps, its still 3900lbs.

Latest issue of Mt they test a regular zl1 on track and Randy Probst is quicker in the manual than the 10 speed. Its also quicker or close to as fast as a vette.

As with all these cars I ahve to ask whats its 10 lap average, given the 3900lbs.

Still go USA the home of the true performance car these days.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #8 ralfabco, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

AFAIK, Dodge is moving on from the Hellcat ;).

________

A used 2014-2015 Z-28 with less than 1000 miles is a bargain. Prices will continue to fall. Give me your old and unwanted cars :). I like the focused raw stripped Z-28 with no air. I do not care for the updated latest Camaro design. I find the 2014-2015 better looking (yes it is heavy). After boredom has set in, plenty of fools will sell the stored 800 mile 'investment' car for the next owner. I am a patient bottom feeder. A N/A DOHC Z-28 would be kewl.

9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    High 40s for a slightly used one is pretty easy to find. Heads, cam and long tubes make that a fun car.

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Didn't the "regular" ZL1 already lap Willow faster than a Mclaren 650 in the hands of Mr. Pobst?

This 1LE package is going to be seriously impressive...

LSJ

12. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Historically the 1LE sold about 100 in North America per year the years it was available, with 1-5 coming to Canada. It was a racecar stripper car. Think CS or SCUD, from GM in Camaro format.

Bigger brakes, manual windows and seats, no AC, better suspension, no fog lights, light weight, radio delete, etc.

1LE has always rocked :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I dont think it was in 650s class but it did embarrass some European heavy hitters like m4gts which is around $135k

14. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Didn't know about that, but I know a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE lapped VIR quicker than a 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus at Car and Driver's annual Lightning Lap event. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a ZL1 1LE ends up in 650S/488 GTB territory. The Corvette Z06 7MT is the third-fastest production car around VIR per C/D's testing, only trailing the Viper ACR and 918 Spyder, so the ZL1 1LE should be somewhat close to it.

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Heard this from a Ford engineer.

The new GM OHC V8 is essentialy the same Chev block we know and love, but with dual cam 4v heads. Thats whats going in the z28 and the mid engined vette.

Think 7500 rpm over 1 hp per liter.

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    OHC engines are more complicated, heavier and larger.

Also, the weight is higher up near the engine cover/hood, negatively impacting CG.

Seems like a downgrade for the sake of sales to non-technical buyers who wouldn't otherwise consider a Corvette.

It is a shame that running a business doesn't always produce the best designs.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are going with ohc? Well, if they can keep the engines from spitting chains and guides, I guess it's ok. However they have added a level of complexity I'll bet a few potential buyers won't be comfortable with and that could cost them some sales.

19. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes and no. Currently to get 650hp they are using a supercharger and intercooler with attendant radiators. That adds what 200lbs tot he car and a whole lot of weight up top.To make 650 Hp at the crank requires the motor to really produce close on 800hp the missing 150hp being used to drive the supercharger. Thats a whole lot of fuel and heat being used up ineffciently.

There is a limit to how fast you can reliably spin a NA OHV single cam motor with hydraulic lifters and that seems to be 6800 rpm. With solids you can go further but thats not practical these days in terms of service and low speed driveability.

We also read that the ls7 didnt make the cut because it wont work with cylinder deactivation which is necessary for fuel economy.

So yes OHC engines have their drawbacks. For example the LT5 in the ZL1 weighed what a big block weighed, but they made it fit under the hood of a C4 where the 350 chev did. Ride in one today and the powerband and the way it keeps on pulling is just epic. In period I rode quite extensively in callaway Twin trubos and zl1's. The callaway had more Hp but the ability of the zl1 to just keep building up to a far higher redline made it practicaly speaking much faster and more enjoyable.

The new motor will for sure weigh more than a regular vette motor, but will it weigh more than the supercharged one with all its attendant cooling?
    4 valve heads and the ability to really spin the thing, will lead to the same 650 hp, probably a wider powerband, better fuel economy, easier cooling, more durability esp on track, easier emissions. Plus you can then always then turbo the sucker.

Lastly a well balanced motor with ohc, they spin almost turbine like, and thats a very refined/exoyic feeling.

My guess is vettes and camaros will come with all the options, NA pushrod, supercharged and Dohc. The vette will also come in front and mid engined flavors.

You know with the demon going for 850 hp, its just a matter of time till we see a 1000hp domestic car.

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ^^^^ very informative. Thanks!

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  23. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ

Didn't the LS7 already get 28mpg? Why would you even need cylinder deactivation at that point?

We need to remember that one camshaft and 2v per cylinder doesn't sound very sexy to the typical high end prospective buyer. Twin turbos, cylinder deactivation, stop/start, and all of the other complicated add ons aren't necessarily making for more efficient operation but for more efficient marketing.

If I was running a business, I would use forced induction as well. Why?

I could crank up the BHP by 50 every other year with software and pullies instead of having to delve into a costly redesign.

So, yes, the LS7 may not have made the cut for cylinder deactivation but that was the only reason. Not because of fuel efficiency.

I agree on your rev limitation theory but that's why you can increase displacement. Displacement has the potential for no penalty on fuel economy, engine size or weight despite common public misconception! Vettes have been getting 30mpg since...1997?

Also, higher revs mean lower reliability which we don't want right?

And, although not quite apples to apples, I like your C4 ZR1 LT5 vs Callaway TT example but it was based on feel not numbers.

I am a nerd for the best engineering and technology. I hope an option for the smallest, lightest, and most compact engine is always available.

BTW- don't we have the answer to our discussion already? GM cars are making an absolute mockery of anything else on the road and track. How many high $$$ exotics have to be embarrassed at Laguna Seca, Nring, or Willow for the verdict to be clear on the pushrod engine?

There is only one reason to make a change in their situation. Sales...

LSJ

24. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #24 lashss, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    There was one more paragraph and Pobst adjusted tire pressures and got the auto to beat the manual's time and the Mclaren 650S as well. It wasn't official as they state but still...

LSJ

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed the OHV SBC is a very compact light powerplant. While we may be happy with the fuel economy of the LS7 its a fact Gm went to cylinder decativation after the LS7 to raise fuel economy and it couldnt be applied tot he LS7. Also the LS7 is a great custom mtoor, therfore not cheap, it has a poor rod ratio and the hydraulic lifters were at the limit, with some failures.

Was the Callaway faster on paper, yes in 1/4 mile. But driving on road or track with a motor that has broad reach and a wide powerband as per the LT5 ZR1 you are faster because there is simply less shifting and you can deploy more power through a bend without running out of gear. The Calloway was a series of short lunges.

Multicams yes they have more parasitic loss and weigh more, but nowhere near a supercharger. As to reliability all modern engines are reliable., Toyata minivans run 4 valve multicam motors.

Pushrod motors, far less expesnive to build. However there are some limits what you can do with the heads to make power especialy if emissions and fuel economy are considerations.

A few years back I bult a 347 ford out of a 302 for my Gt40, unlike most 347s it was not a stroke job so much a a big bore dart block, it had exclent rod ratios and a custom milled knife edged internally balanced crank. It had a real 575 hp and 460 ftlbs of Tq and weighed not so much more than a miata motor. It cost 24k to build and happliy smoothly spun to 7k rpm. It also didn love being under load below 3k rpm, and I seriously doubt it could be made to pass any emissions tests, valkes needed adjusting ever 2-3k miles even though it had shaft rockers.

A quad cam gives lots of options in terms of head design, being both tractable down low and up high with good emissions etc, low valvetrain mass allows lots and lots of reliable revs to make power. Its creature of meeting regulatory targets and power as much as anything. The pushrod is as we see with the ls7 at its limit in terms of whats possible in an emision, durability and fuel economy enviroment. On the other hand look at the quad cam in a ferrari v12 today, it will happily spin to 8k rpm with hydraulics because the valve train is light enough.

What do you think a 6.2 or 6.0 chev with great heads quad cams 4valves will be like. An 7.5 or 8k rpm sbc, its going to have Tq hp a wide powerband, sound great, smooth as hell, just epic. Since quad cam motors now make an emissions compliant 200hp per liter with turbos Gm has unlimited power growth, 1200hp anyone.

Yep I will miss the low rev whach that a simple 2 valver puts out. Its the same reason a 2 valve Bb ferrari has better rolling throttle response than a 4 valve Tr.

Now if you want to talk about an engine that makes no sense its the one in the mustang Gt350R. In theory a flat plane crank has low inertia for great response as well as better firing pulses for efficientcy. However vibration is an issue with a flat plane crank, fords solution was really heavy counterweights on the crank, which negate the low inertia possible. So you have a not more powerful engine that vibrates and sounds crappy, with some minor gain in efficiency at the expense of low down Tq.

I also heard Ford is making a twin Turbo flat plane motor for the Gt500 that is target 800hp,a nd there is a 7.4 liter big ass v8 comming for some of the Trucks.