Used Ford GT future values | FerrariChat

Used Ford GT future values

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mark328, Feb 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What do you think the value of a used GT will be in the next 6 years. When I retire I would like to buy one for myself. I would not pay the prices that they are going for today, but would consider one in the future if the prices fall.

2. callchuck

callchuck Karting

Aug 29, 2005
    I hope the value goes up as a collector car. I own one and praying that the value goes up when they stop making them this year. Even it the price does fall it should not stray to much from today's prices.

3. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm thinking they'll hold their value well. Especially if Ford doesn't come out with a replacement.

4. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    woah I just looked at your collection. would you please be so kind as to post pictures? What color is your 355?

5. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    A big question is how committed to this car will Ford be? With all the cost cutting going on, can they afford to have a special channel to service these vehicles? With no real replacement being talked about, it looks like a one-hit wonder.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The car will tank. They produced far too many for it to be a collector car of any sort.

I expect them to hit the 80k mark within 18 months. Beyond that, who knows where it'll bottom out. Could be that in five years they'll be had for 40k as a "oh yeah I remember when ford made that thing" kind of car the way many random builds are. After all, the performance will be more than eclipsed in that time, so there's really nothing going about the car to keep it overly special (and thus valuable).

--Dan

7. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Very doubtful. 40k in 5 years? Then 360s--which are far more plentiful--will be worth, what, $25k?

8. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    How many of them, exactly, do you think they made?

9. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I think the plan is 3500.

10. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The production run has been cut short.

11. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow- completely off base, in my opinion. 10 year old Vipers are worth more than 40K, with many more of them produced , and at an original price less than half of the GT. 5 year prediction ? 120K for a well used one, 130K for one with low miles. Maybe more. 10 years ? This will probably be around the low point in value - maybe 80-90K. In 30 years? At least $1 million. 40 years ? $2-3 million.

Nothing really special? Gorgeous body style, the unbeatable heritage, the uniqueness of the whole package, the performance, the rarity....

12. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    I find that most limited edition automobiles tend to fall to 50% of their MSRP within a decade of production. If a car has a MSRP of $150,000 today, in 2016 it should have a value of $75,000. If we use the CPI from the past ten years as a guide, the value in 2006 dollars would be ~$59,000. So if you were to purchase a Ford GT today and you sold it in 2016, I would think you could recoup 40% of your money on resale. I have not calculated in any maintainence or financing expenses. If you think about it, the depreciation will cost you $9,100/year.

As a buyer in 2016 you can purchase a 2006 GT for 40% of its original MSRP. If this person holds onto the vehicle for another decade, they can get out even IMO. Eventually the number of units in respectable condition decreases and the "classic" status should allow the car to increase in tandum to the CPI.

I do not believe 3500 untis is exclusive enough to create a price floor.

13. waldo

waldo Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Arizona
    It was my understanding that Ford was only going to build the GT for MY 2005 and 2006 and never intended to build the car past MY 2006.

The projections from the gentleman the run FrodGTprices.com put that number at just over 4,000 for both 2005 and 2006.

He recently posted the following on FordGTforum.com: "9 cars a day, about 180 a month, times six more months, equals 1080 more cars. Seems like 2000-2100 cars for each model year will be about right."

Please take my responses for what they are worth. I have no insider information on the Ford GT. I'm just another car junkie who is crossing his fingers that prices will dip enough to afford one in a couple of years.

Regards,
    waldo

14. I love em, but the price will go down. The production numbers are much higher than a Countach, the poster car of the world, a Diablo, etc. I don't believe, however that they will ever get to 80 k, unless it's a wreck rebuild ,distress sell.

15. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In my opinion the car was overpriced to begin with I think it should have been in price with the Viper or the new Vette maybe alittle more. If the price fell to around 75k I would consider buying one. I don't think this will ever be a million dollar or more car. 40 years later the original GT40 cars with a racing history are not seeing this type of money.

16. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Rumor has it that Ford has stopped production of the GT.Anyone able to confirm this? If correct,current prices will probably jump temporarily.
    I tend to agree with vprgt2-these cars,in the long term,could be worth a considerable amount of $.

17. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    #18 GT Fan, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That rumor is wrong. Recent newspaper articles covering Ford's newly announced plant closings have mentioned that the GT production will end this august, but that is not a change, that was the plan from day 1.

FordGTprices.com is my site, and I have confirmed that they will make 4000+ cars total.

I visited the Saleen plant last week where the painting and bulk of the assembly is done (drivetrain and some interior assembly is done at the Ford Wixom plant), and saw my on-order GT in process, very cool.

There's also a great narrated online slideshow of the production process here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=107085
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    prices will drop. another supercar will be built and the gt will be yesterdays news just like every other car made.

look what happened to the first vipers and the zr1. once "great" cars that i now consider junk.

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    GT Fan, great pictures and congrats, did you see the photo of the GT at CC without the rear bumper? It looked awesome. I don't think you can compare the GT to the ZR1 or the VIPER, IMO.

20. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, that rear bumper is ugly.

I love the GT, but with 4000, the chance of the cars appreciating is zero.

Depreciation may be less than other cars, simply because unlike Corvettes, Vipers, Ferraris, Porsches, etc., there will never be a better/faster/cooler Ford GT in the future.

21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    It'll probably follow the normal auto depreciation cycle - 1/2 it's list price within 5-6 years, then do nothing much for the next 20 years. I think there's definately 4000 buyers at $80K, so I wouldn't expect it do drop much below that figure, even when it becomes "yesterday's news".

22. StickBoy

StickBoy Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Did someone say that original GT40s are not million dollar cars? I though Bill Noon sold one not too long ago for more than $2 million. Did I hear wrong? I don't believe that one was a race winner. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hope the new Ford GTs are less than $80K in 8 years. That is when the warranty on my Hyundai is done and I will be able to buy something nice with my scrimping and saving!

23. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark

24. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I remember people buying and "putting away for investment" Ford's then.."super car exotic" (response to the vette or Ferrari)...you guessed it the PANTERA ( OK Lincoln Mercury) ...the Ford ferrari.... so get this..the experts told me to "jump" on the Pantera and stay away from the POS "fiat" Dino 246....the Pantera will be worth a lot in the future whereas the Dino 246 is not a ferrari never willbe and has no quality build to it and is built in too high numbers....p.s. I bought a Jag XKE Roadster!