In Scottsdale this week, looking for ideas and info | FerrariChat

In Scottsdale this week, looking for ideas and info

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by chrisbinsb, Nov 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I'll be driving to scottsdale tomorrow (Tuesday, 11/12) and staying for about a week while my wife is seen at Mayo Clinic. We'll also have our 9 year daughter with us so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for things to do while we are there.

I'd also be interested if there are any cars & coffee events this weekend in the scottsdale area? Sadly my 308 will have to stay home for the trip, but I will have a 10 year old, somewhat beat-up Discovery to show off.... :)

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Chris, we have a show every Saturday from 4PM to midnight or so at the McDonald's at Indian Bend and the 101 at the Scottsdale Pavilions. It's a huge show and there will be a nice turnout with the weather. It's most muscle cars...watch out for the ugly 308 kit car there. It may induce vomiting. :eek:

For the kiddo, check out the children's museum, the McCormick Railroad park is cool, and it's just down the road from the Pavilions too!

If you are into music, check out the MIM, the Musical Instrument Museum, it's close to the Mayo Clinic. This is the best time of the year to go hiking. Tempe Beach Parks may be cool for kids too, it's 'Downtown Tempe' close to Arizona State, it's nice to talk a walk or even rent a small boat and watch the sunset from there, however, it's a little drive from the North.

3. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Are you going to be at the clinic off Shea Blvd or the hospital on Mayo Blvd?

Agree with agup on both the car and the railroad park. If you're at the clinic off Shea, you might run by the fountain park in Fountain Hills, it's just down the road a bit. File:Fountainhill az fountain.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ferrari's are typically at the cars and coffee event that takes place first Saturday of the month, but the Pavillions is a cool event and it's every weekend.

I live just a few blocks north the clinic but I'm headed to Vegas on Wednesday morning.

4. gonzo di dottore

Jul 24, 2012
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Bob PopYourLights
    #4 gonzo di dottore, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is a lame knockoff C/C at the Penske museum Cars and Coffee™ Scottsdale
    Ashwin is right about the fake 308 Drive-By Shootings: First $29,800 takes it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  6. gonzo di dottore

Jul 24, 2012
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Bob PopYourLights
    Sorry. It had to be done. At least you didn't have to stare into the face of the beast.

7. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
  8. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    thanks for the suggestions everybody! We'll be at the clinic on Shea.

I'll try and make the pavilions show on saturday if I can - thanks for the warning about the ferrariamaro(?), that thing is hideous....

Kid activities suggestions are great, too, I'll check them out. It's not really going to be a vacation with dr appointments and such, but we're trying to make it as enjoyable as possible.

chris

9. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There is a SSW/FOC exotic car drive to Payson with lunch at Gerardo's this Saturday,

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #11 Challenge64, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Usually, I would list a bunch more car related things to do, but seeing as how you have a 9 year old there is stuff for her too.

Railroad Park - Railroad park with playgrounds
    Scottsdale Fashion Square - go to top floor of Fashion Square near Nordstroms
    http://phoenixzoo.org/ - Phoenix Zoo
    http://www.dbg.org/ - Desert Botanical Gardens

All inside Scottsdale Quarter Mall on Scottsdale Road -

http://www.itsugar.com - Its Sugar Candy Store
    http://www.makemeaning.com - Make Meaning Cake Decorating (REALLY fun for girls btw)
    https://www.ipictheaters.com - See a movie at iPic

and the best for last

Welcome to Butterfly Wonderland - A Rainforest Experience. - Butterfly Wonderland south of Shea Blvd and 101

12. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Great suggestions - we just made it into town and hopefully will figure out our schedule tomorrow...

13. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to Scottsdale. Great suggestions on what to do...enjoy your time here.

14. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    The Penske C&C is apparently so lame that they don't even tell you what time it is on the website......still, I may try to check it out tomorrow. Anyone know when it is?

Thanks!

15. gonzo di dottore

Jul 24, 2012
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Bob PopYourLights
    8-10 ish

16. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Come out the the above event. The cars there will be way better than the ones at the dealership. Plus, you can meet some FChatters!

16815 E Shea Blvd
    Fountain Hills, AZ 85268

We'll be there from 9-10AM or so. I believe we leave at 10AM.

Hope to see you there!

17. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I will definitely try to make it - that's just a short way down the road from us. My wife was feeling pretty sick tonight after some tests today so it'll depend on what she needs in the morning but l come by if I can. It'll be me in the somewhat battered black land rover if I can make it.

18. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    No worries if you can't! Always another time! :)

19. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Unfortunately, it didn't work out - I saw your group on the way to the urgent care in the next block but timing just didn't work out. It was too bad, I think this was the only time specific thing I was trying fit into our trip.

Looks like a nice day for a drive - hope you had a great one!

Chris

20. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    We had fun! I was in the blue Lambo with orange wheels, owned by another forum member.

Hope your wife feels better! :)

21. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Thanks, there must be some nice driving roads around here. One of my favorites drive ever (not driving anything special, just a rental) was from tuscon up relative back roads, then to canyon de chelly, then into utah and east through colorado to denver.

It took practically all day at the emergency room but my wife is feeling better tonight and hopefully we'll get out to do something fun tomorrow.