Sedona trip | FerrariChat

Sedona trip

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by italiafan, Feb 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hi All,
    Thinking of visiting Sedona in early June.
    Few questions if you don't mind:

Too hot?
    Good resort to recommend? Anyone been to Enchantment...it looks nice.
    We have two boys, 14 and 12...things to do?
    Is Grand Canyon a doable day trip?
    Things not to miss?

Many thanks!!

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Temperature wise, it'll probably be in the high 90s, low 100s around then. Stay hydrated and you'll be just fine.

Grand Canyon from Sedona is a very doable day trip.

Rent a Jeep or check out the Pink Jeep Tours, see about renting mountain bikes or just go for a hike. Lots of fun trails and great views.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm doing Sedona and GC in a two day trip in April/May. You can get to the GC in about 3 hours depending on weather.

4. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've done a lot of company holiday events at Enchantment. We bring everyone up there with their spouse for an overnight as a way to say thanks for a great year. They are starting to really slip with quality and service. The location is great, but it isn't what it used to be.

L'auberge de Sedona recently had a major renovation and I've been meaning to get up there to check it out for this years holiday party.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 synchro, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    For dinner, my wife and I absolutely love Dahl & Di Luca Ristorante. It is located really close to Enchantment on 89A.

For lunch, there is a good place called Ken's Creekside.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Feb 21, 2014
  8. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Sedona is beautiful.

Jerome is a really neat town not far from Sedona (20-25mi or so) it is worth the short drive.

Jerome Arizona

9. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks nice and big on google maps. ;)

My wife stayed at Enchantment about a year ago and enjoyed it. Top notch service in Sedona is a fantasy, it's an overpriced small western town at heart. Embrace that, and be delighted when you occasionally do get great service. You're there for the scenery anyway. Had crap service at L'Auburge last time I ate there (6 months ago,) but the food was good and the seating along the creak is delightful.

Hiking, Biking, Jeep tours are good bets. Gallery shopping is good too (probably not much fun for the kids.) Lots of petroglyphs at Indian ruins. Be sure to position yourself well for the sunsets (preferably with your choice of beverage) and drink it in. They are spectacular and the best light only lasts for 10 minutes.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks guys!

11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    By all means when you go to Jerome drive about 3 miles north of the fire station to the ghost town. Amazing collection of old mining EQUIPTMENT and trucks. Good for a great afternoon

12. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Please note that 89A will start construction late in May. Not entirely sure if it is south of Slide Rock Park or north of it. Slide rock is really nice during the summer especially for kids although it is generally packed.

Jerome is beautiful and very small. Depending on your vehicle there are noises constraints.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just booked a couple of days in Sedona for Easter. Going to the Grand Canyon for a day.

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #14 bushwhacker, Mar 27, 2014
    Sedona / Oak Creek up there with my favorite places on the planet.
    A couple of my favorite places to stay are more rustic than many of the exclusive resorts that always get the attention. These two are up Oak Creek Canyon on the creek and are renown for their serenity. Forget TV's, telephones, cell phones and the internet...they don't exist at these pastoral hideaway's.
    First is 'Garland's Lodge' known for it's five course gourmet dinners and wonderful breakfasts. Perched above the creek with grassy lawns and rustic cabins. Depending on the individual cabin you choose it can be pricey but includes breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea and no host cocktails. Meals are served family style in the beautiful main lodge so you will meet different people every day...q wonderful experience.
    Check out their cookbook at the website or on Amazon.
    Next is 'Forest Houses' up Oak Creek about a mile from Garlands. Another rustic lodging experience with cabins large and small scattered throughout the forest...some right on the creek itself. Each cabin is unique and nestled in between the trees.
    No meals served here so you must bring your own food and cook it...most with fireplaces and BBQ on the deck or porch.
    Much more affordable than Garlands but remember no meals or cocktails served here...you're on your own.
    Both have hiking trails along the creek and up the canyon rocks.
    Here are the links to both of the little known secret hideaways in Sedona away from the expected tourists that frequent the area. Both sell out quickly so reservations are a must in advance of staying...of course cancellations can be had on shorter notice.
    A few pics from my last stay at Garlands...of course many more photos on their websites.

http://www.garlandslodge.com/rooms-rates-availability

http://www.foresthousesresort.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Garlands Lodge is, in my opinion, one of the prettiest and most peaceful places on the planet. My wife and I have been going annually for 10 years now, and we'll keep going as long as it's there. It's also a veritable bargain. I know people that have been going for over 40 years.

16. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    I'll give Garland's a try...looks great!

17. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #17 Dr.B, Apr 20, 2014
    Pink jeep tours is awesome but I would prefer to drive my Ferrari the roads there are awesome so much so I got lost and didn't even care. I told my wife I knew exactly where I was as I always do!! LOL

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #18 Ingenere, Apr 29, 2014
    We stay at my my wife's parent's place.

No negative edge pool, but I love it up there.

The Hilton is good, Enchantment, L'auberge. Can't miss.

Grand Canyon is an easy day trip and you won't want to miss it. If you like driving, take 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff.

There are no bad pictures in Sedona...

19. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Woke up this morning to turn on the news and learn about the 'Slide Fire' in Oak Creek Canyon. Garlands Lodge, Slide Rock, Junipine Resort, Forest Houses as well as a number of homes are all in Harms way and many of them have been evacuated. This area is one of the most beautiful places on the planet and a national treasure.
    As of 7:30 am the fire is zero % contained.
    It was also mentioned that the fire may have been started.
    Let's hope and pray they get control of this fire soon.

20. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Slide fire is now out of Oak Creek Canyon, all residents can return to their homes as of this past weekend. I was up there for the past weekend and it was relatively clear, but locals let me know it was the first smoke-free days in a while.

Fire is not out, prayers to the firefighters that continue to battle this.

21. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Dave,

Did you drive up to Oak Creek?...if so how bad is it ?

22. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did not go up there, so I have no idea of what is visible from the road. The road itself is still closed to through traffic, though my impression is that it is due to the road resurfacing project that was going on before the fire.

23. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I took a drive up Oak Creek Canyon this morning. The road is open (earlier than planned) and the switchbacks have been completely repaved. The fire damage is quite extensive, from Slide Rock to the switchbacks up the entire west side of the canyon. It appears the fire was contained on the west side of the creek, but the creek, road, and damage are quite close in areas. At no point did the fire get to the road.

Many many signs were hanging on the roadside, thanking the firefighters for their efforts. It was extremely close to taking out a lot of structures.