Relocating to Phoenix | FerrariChat

Relocating to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by scowman, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I MIGHT take a job in Phoenix. Nothing in writing yet...

What's the exotic/fcar scene like? I see there is a C&C that looks oversubscribed. Any get-togethers just for exotics?

Ken

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    More for you to do than what you will have time for. Get to know some insiders and you might be invited to their secret get togethers for coffee as well. I'm sure they'll chime in im sure with the details.

Oh yea...there is enough car stuff here for me to fill a 256 page travel car book about Arizona.

3. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    AZ is a state that likes its cars. You will fit in just right with a 308. :)

4. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Stu,

The car scene here is AMAZING! There is something for every type of auto enthusiast going on every weekend not to mention the get togethers the local FOC chapter has.

Your dance card will be full my friend.

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Its spectacular. Great car clubs in Scottsdale area, especially, FCA.

Good luck with your job offer.

6. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    It never rains.
    I never snows.
    There is no humidity.
    Rust? i have no idea what that is.
    Roads basically smooth.
    If your car has a/c and doesn't t melt it can be driven 365/days a year.
    4x4s,exotics, bikes,quads,boats,planes all can be used pretty much year round.
    So, in short, AZ pretty open to almost any knd of wheeled or gas-burning activity....

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL!

8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Awesome!

I forgot to ask. Can our cars take the summer heat in a non-air conditioned garage?

Also, anyone have any realtor recommendations? I like straight talkers. I don't need "and this is the kitchen..."

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My cars do just fine. I, on the other hand, absolutely totally hate summers in Arizona and do everything in my power to leave each year.

10. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I would recommend you get your "new" garage fitted with a BIG air conditioner. I've had things melt or disfigure with our slightly warm summers. Can make the improvement for $1k easy. Just remember it is a DESERT. :)

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Phoenix is a great town. Even though its been a few years since I've been. Parents had a house in Paradise Valley, I lived there from 91 till 96. Saw more exotic cars around Scottsdale/Paradise Valley then anywhere else I've been. Including Beverly Hills. A/C in the garage is a must have. I do love the summers, love high dry heat.

I'm seriously considering getting a vacation house in PV.

12. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Had a girlfriend when I was law school who went to asu and lived with her dad on n 51st place right next to echo park in PV. I am looking in the area.

13. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    The big cars and coffee event is the monthly Motorsports Gathering put on by Scuderia Southwest. Their focus is the European sports car, although many other cars attend. It's one of the best shows in the country.
    web site here Scuderia Southwest

14. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    You're from Houston and you're worried about the heat? LOL!!!
    I'm from Dallas, lived in Scottsdale 14 years now, and I love it.

15. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    It's the difference between 100 and 80% humidity and 117 and 25% humidity. It's pool weather in both circumstances so I'm ok.

My car has no problems in the garage at 100/80, but will it have problems at 117/25?

That's my question.

16. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    I think the car would survive without it but A/C in the garage is some of the best money I've ever spent. Not only from the Ferrari POV, but for everything else in your garage (including people) as well.

17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So do you run it all the time in the summer? What do you set it at when you are not in the garage?

18. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Are there curvy roads to drive on in the PHX area?

19. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Yes in the summer I run it all day set for 86 which works well. It turns off at night. For curvy roads you need only a short trip north to have all kinds of fun.

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #20 arizonaitalian, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    I actually can say that of all the ~dozen places I've lived, the curvy roads score for Phoenix is the worst...by far. And, yes I know them all I suspect. I lived there for years with no job and two sports cars after all. Not to mention the inter webs and google maps to enable one to find them. Anyone who thinks they are good is happy with a long drive to get to them (from central Phoenix or Scottsdale) or is happy with the 2 curvy and very short bike filled drives that are within 10 miles or they haven't lived anywhere with great roads literally out the door. I used to take curvy road drives, and they take all day in Phoenix, with a long stretch of tens of mikes of straight to get to them. Sadly the biggest downside to the (otherwise amazing) car scene there.

The summer weather is truly awful...anyone that can live elsewhere in the summer does.

21. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    It's got to be better than Houston: On big flat grid. The only curves are where the grid roads are realigned and you do to quick 90 degree turns in the opposite direction.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    +122

I can't stress this enough. I detest/hate/despise the oppressive summer heat. Screw the cars I need to leave this place June to September.

23. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I come from Toronto and have lived here for 10 years and have yet to complain about the heat. That said, Flagstaff is 2 hrs away and 30 degrees warmer so getting away from the heat is easy.
    Where in the Valley are you planning on living?

24. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Job is in Tempe. Scottsdale pv seems obvious. Other suggestions?

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    depends upon who you are and what you like :)

Can't go to wrong with scottsdale or PV though.