New Highway Patrol Vehicles In Arizona? | FerrariChat

New Highway Patrol Vehicles In Arizona?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by bushwhacker, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    On I-17 today by Anthem and saw a small SUV painted gray giving some guy a ticket. It wasn't a Ford Explorer but possibly a Chevy? No light bar, only red and blue flashing lights behind the grill and strobes in the parking lights. No push bar or spotlights.
    I've also seen a white full sized F-150 crew cab with no visible light bar etc. pull someone over as well with only hidden lights behind the grill and dashboard... no spotlights or push bar.
    No it wasn't one of the 'Trucker' patrol units.
    Did they get new unmarked units. Possibly Maricopa County Sheriff?

2. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've seen quite a few 'regular' cars as undercover police cars including F150 pickups.

3. AronAZ

AronAZ Karting

Jul 13, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    The practice should be outlawed. The purpose of marking vehicles is to establish a presence and be identified as a source of help. Not sure if pull over for an unmarked car out of concern for personal safety. It's the markings that identify the vehicle as police, not hidden lights.
    $0.02

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would not stop for an unmarked and my daughter and wife are instructed to do the same.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Traffic Enforcement here has gone to a "tone on tone" marking pattern, all but impossible to see, except in full daylight.

Lots of Camaroes....

6. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just saw a black, mid-nineties F150 pick up which had pulled over a mini van on the loop 202. No markings just lights in the window and grill.

7. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    Remember the bank robber chase that ended in Tempe last week? It literally ended outside the front door of the office I work in. 12-15 unmarked cars chasing the guy...And not ONE of the cars a Charger or anything you would expect. The White F-150 was there, mini vans, Chevy P/Us,Chevy Vans, assorted bland cars.... a real variety pack.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I had a white GMC pickup try to pull me over a few years ago, no markings of any kind, I called 911 and they told me to keep driving. Within a few minutes a marked cruiser pulls the truck driver over.

I got a call back, turns out it was a off duty Park Ranger trying to pull me over because I allegedly accelerated too fast from a light, which I didn't since I wasn't familiar with the area and it was getting dark. The dispatcher said the Park Ranger was angry that I didn't stop, but I'm glad I didn't.

9. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Traffic enforcement by any unmarked vehicle should be illegal. How do you know if it's some nutcase or not playing cop ?

10. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    This, exactly.

11. AronAZ

AronAZ Karting

Jul 13, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Especially now, police needs to realize it contributes to the growing mistrust.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I had the same thing happen with a wierd city of Dallas code enforcement pickup with a full cop lightbar. Same outcome.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    +1