SSW/FOC Newsletter #86 | FerrariChat

SSW/FOC Newsletter #86

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Ingenere, Feb 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  2. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Out of curiosity, are you writing those car reviews yourself or are you reposting them from another site/magazine?

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Some I write and some I don't.... either way I hope you enjoy them.

4. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They are nice to read and enjoy, but if you are copying them from other sites then you really should be giving proper credit to the author/publication.

As a former freelance automotive journalist, it is discomforting to see entire articles being plagiarized. I would suggest, for the articles that you aren't writing, that you only include the first few sentences and they provide a hyperlink back to the original article.

Also, photos should be credited to the photographer/publication as well.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I do this as a service for the local car community. Nobody makes any money, people find out what's going on and allot enjoy it. I write and get paid in a number of publications. Apparently I've offended your sensitivities. If you PM your email address, I will remove you from the list.

6. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Dean, this isn't about sensitivities. This is about giving the proper credit where credit is due. Just because you aren't making any money off of it doesn't make it right. This about theft and plagiarism. This is about doing the right thing.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to credit the actual author/publication instead of passing the work off as your own? As you said, people enjoy these articles and it is a good way to keep them informed. But, have you thought that you might (in some cases) be taking income away from the actual writer photographer by not at least linking back to their site?

It seems that instead of realizing that what you did is wrong you are simply trying to pass this off as offending sensitivities.

Lets put it in simple terms... How do you think Ron would feel if you started putting his articles from his magazines (the ones you don't write) in your newsletter and not giving credit to the publication/author? Do you think that is the right thing to do? Or perhaps if people were to take your articles and pass them off as their own?

It is strange that you are so resistant to give people credit for their own work.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Are you kidding? This is what you have to do? You must have way too much free time on your hands.

For the record, I write visually all of it for free. Spend an inordinate amount of time scheduling, organizing events and fielding questions from other enthusiasts... and do it as a service to the car community and I am getting grief from someone who parades around town in his dad's Ferrari acting like he has have achieved something. When was the last time you contributed anything to the car community?

Perhaps if you spent more time achieving, there would be less time for this BS.

Conversation over.

8. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Oh, Dean... you're funny. Instead of taking some own personal responsibility you decide to try and go on the offensive. I've run into people like you before. They tend to be a flash in the pan.

I find it amusing that you think you know me because you heard something about me or read a thread in in the owners section for 3 years ago. Guess what? You don't know anything about me. The nice thing is, I don't have to explain myself to you. I don't care what you think or what you think you heard. The fact that you had to try and attack me instead of just admitting that what you did was wrong speaks volumes about your character.

You are the one who flat out admitted that you were stealing other people's original work and passing it off as your own. Now you are claiming that you write almost all of it yourself and the things you do steal are for the benefit of the automotive community. You must be the Robin Hood of the AZ car scene. lol

Since I wrote my first post about this I have had many members from this forum send me PMs with some very interesting stories about you. It seems you aren't very popular with a lot of people (not hard to figure out why). The difference is, I tend to form my own opinions about people instead of believing what they say. Perhaps I should try your methodology instead? Should I start believing all of the stories that people have been telling me about you?

The sad part is, all I did was ask you to give credit to the writers of those articles. A seemingly simple task (I would think). I even told you that I enjoyed the newsletter and appreciated it. Instead of fixing the problem that you caused yourself, you spent all this time trying to defend your actions, ignore the truth about what you have been doing and try to attack me.

And, for the record, I have contributed more than you could imagine to the local car scene. Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The world doesn't revolve around you as you seem to think it does.

All the best Robin Dean. Hopefully you won't continue your path of stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9 Challenge64, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Saw my name mentioned here, so here is the general rule.

Free or paid, print or digital, big or small - ALL photos and editorial MUST be credited. To reproduce any photo or editorial without crediting opens the publisher up to a "Cease and Desist" as well as monetary compensation. IE - lawsuit.

There is some play for claiming "Fair Use", but seeing as how the photos aren't stock images on the internet and part of an editorial, that probably doesn't apply. All instances of "Fair Use" STILL require proper credits too.

So will the original authors and photographers know their works were used? Probably not. But google is getting really good at their search engine and does allow photographers to reverse search for anyone using their images.

Bottom line - all pictures and all editorial written or taken by someone else should be credited - no matter what kind of publication is using them. Also depending on the interpretation of copyright, not only should the works be credited, PERMISSION should be obtained prior to use - in most cases.

Penalties are up to $25,000 in fines and closure of the website.