Arizona Auctions 2017 | FerrariChat

Arizona Auctions 2017

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by GaryK, Jan 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryK

GaryK Karting

Aug 23, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'll be down for the Auctions from Jan 15-21.

Any suggestions of places to visit/things to do besides the auctions?

Love funky restaurants and car/airplane collections. Been to the Hall Of Flame, FLW home, Bondurant school, fighter museum (which I understand is no longer there).

Curious about:
    Martin Auto Museum
    Penske Racing Museum
    Browns Classic Automobiles
    Musical Instrument Museum
    Adobe Mountain Museum/Desert Railroad
    Mystery Castle

Any other events etc.

Appreciate inputs. I'm sure I'm not alone in this request.

Thanks in advance

Gary

2. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    If you are into architecture (and unique Southwestern wind bells), check out Cosanti in Paradise Valley, and Taliesin West in Scottsdale. Very unique experiences.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Arizona Concours at the AZ Biltmore this coming Sunday 15th January 2017.
    Among the Ferraris in the show will be the fabulous French blue 500 Mondial Scaglietti Spider Chassis #0556 MD belonging since 11 May 1960 (!!) to a fellow fchatter.

Marcel Massini

4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Marcel,

Thank you for the kind words. You are right, this spring it will be 57 years ago when I first laid eyes on the forlorn piece of junk in the back corner of a Richmond, California Rambler dealership warehouse. As a matter of fact I had come to the suspicion that the mess before me was in fact a Devin, that is before I wiped the mud off the valve cover and FERRARI jumped out at me!

Looking forward to seeing you at the Biltmore.

Best regards,

Robert

weather at 7,000 feet in the Rockies
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y9tmfmwcpiybmh/4253snow%20.jpg?dl=0

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #5 TTR, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timo,

Nice for sunny California. Out my kitchen window 12 miles line of sight is the top of Ski Santa Fe at 12,075 with a 45 inch base. Took the grand boys skiing there Saturday. By the way my sleigh has four hemispherical reindeer. Are you coming to Scottsdale?

Best regards,

Robert

7. GaryK

GaryK Karting

Aug 23, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the inputs, unfortunately I won't be down in time for the Concours and I have visited Taliesin West before, love FLW though.

Gary

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #8 TTR, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Dear Mr. Phillips,

I will not have an opportunity to attend any Scottsdale events, but having already been fortunate seeing your little blue car during FCA 2015 Monterey events, including its/your "on track" action at Laguna Seca, I don't feel I'm missing much.
    Heck, I even had a great opportunity to drive my sleigh on the same track during the '15 FCA event, although under little more controlled "Lunch break track tour", which was more than enough for me as I had to push mine in attempt to not slow the procession of more capable entries too much.

You might find it interesting (or odd ?) that when I acquired and rebuilt my sleigh close to 30 years ago, one of my top choice (boyish) dreams for power train for it included a 2 liter dual overhead cam 4 cylinder "F" motor, along with 6C1750 and the most ambitious (ridiculous?) idea of making my own +/- 2 liter inline 6 cyl. DOHC from scratch.

The current herd of 8 Hemi headed reindeer (my apologies for previous misspell) was given to me back then by a friend so that I could get the car useable while I develop or look for more suitable choice.

Timo

9. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timo,

Did you have the Daytona at Laguna Seca? I must admit that the two hours on track was absolutely great. Everything worked to perfection and the nut behind the steering wheel did not do anything stupid.

Do you happen to recall the model or serial of the F 4 banger you contemplated using?

Bryan and I just loaded up the car and according to iTrack2 it is already south of Belen enroute to Scottsdale.

Left off the picture at Ski Santa Fe with the grand boys last weekend. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3cl0qevgvina1x/fresh%20snow%20sm.jpg?dl=0

Best regards,

Robert

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #10 TTR, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Sir,

I was enjoying Laguna Seca track tour with my '32 Plymouth Roadster pictured here in Turn 11(?), having absolutely great time too and can only imagine how much more yours must've been.
    With all due respect, it seems to me you and your car have long enough history together to prevent stupidity interfering with enjoyment. Truly inspirational to see you two in motion.

I didn't have any specific F 4-banger in my sights 30 years ago, as I said it was more like childish dream hoping to find something cool like that or an early Alfa 6C1750 engine at a junkyard or swap meet.

I wish you all the best in Scottsdale and in all other future endeavors you get to enjoy with your car.

Best regards,
    Timo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login