Hong Kong Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Hong Kong Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by sailquik, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Will be in HK for a week starting Tuesday. Any recommendations on things that must be seen, foods that must be eaten, things to do and things to avoid?

Thanks!

2. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Things to avoid: buying any electronics especially in the touristy areas. These days it's much cheaper in the US. Rent is astronomical here so retailers pass on the costs to customers.

Things to do or see: weather has been stunning, take the star ferry across the Harbour and enjoy the view. Take the peak tram up to the peak, but find out when the team opens and get there early as the line can be ridiculous (not always though). At the peak, take a walk around the walking trail, about 1.5 hours. Check out the occupy central protests and get a sense of the polarization of Hong Kong beneath the shiny skyscrapers. Go to the exotic and luxury used car lot in the basement of the parking garage next to the Grand Hyatt in wanchai, lots of eye candy. Go out to shek o (beach village about 40 minutes drive from central) around 730 am on Sunday, lots of cars come out for a drive. Afterwards, go for a hike on the dragons back trail - fantastic views.

3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    ^^^^^^ What he said... shopping really isn't much good here anymore, everything is main-stream brands pitched to the mainland market.
    Aside from the Star ferry (which IS a must-do) you can take longer ferry trips to the outlying islands (Cheung Chau is small if you don't want to walk too much), for Lamma you can take a ferry to Sok Kwu Wan and walk over the island about 1.5hrs with great views to another village Yung Shue Wan and have a nice seafood lunch before catching the ferry from YSW back to HK. A nice day trip is take the subway (known here as MTR- buy an Octopus card when you arrive, not the tourist one - $100 credit will just about make a week's worth of trips) to the end of the line at Tung Chung (on Lantau Island), take the cable car to the top of the mountain and see the big Buddha, eat vegetarian lunch at the monastery and then take a bus down the other side of the island (great road and views) to Mui Wo where it's a ferry trip back to HK. All these ferries depart from near the HK side Star Ferry.
    Have a drink at Aqua Luna (1 Canton Road TST) for fabulous view across the harbor towards the island or for the opposite view there's new pizza place at the Peak (not great food, but not expensive either). 1 floor own from Aqua Luna is Hutong - fabulous modern (actually ancient but done in a modern way) Chinese food but VERY expensive.

Enjoy - it's a great city!

4. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Thank you for your replies. I'm looking forward to following your recommendations.

5. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I will tell you what not to do. Be careful going out to the redlight district in Wanchai. Many foreigners get drugs slipped into their drinks by unscrupulous workig girls and under the influence of serious chemicals, are forced to go to their ATMs and drain it of their daily limit. Some guys have died under the influence of these drugs. It's much safer to go out to Lan Kwai Fong next to Central and enjoy some rounds of drinks with professional locals and expats. Finally, most people in Hong Kong are really polite and non-confrontational but dont be a stupid bully and pick a fight with anyone. You never know who you could be messing with. A 90lb weakling can make a free phone call to a Triad gang. In 10 minutes you could be surrounded by 15 to 20 guys wielding meat cleavers. In 10 to 15 secs, you will be chopped to pieces and maimed for life. It is for this very reason why you rarely see people get into fights in Hong Kong. If you come here and behave as a gentleman, you will have nothing to fear so as long as you dont go to the wrong bars.

6. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    The Ferrari Club of Hong Kong is holding its annual charity ball this Saturday. Try to see if you can buy tickets to it. It's a black tie event and you'll meet a lot of fellow Ferrari lovers. It is open only to Ferrari Club members but maybe you have a friend who is a member? I'm already taking my wife so I please dont ask me.

7. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Geez!! That is some scary stuff.

Fortunately I'm here for my wife's birthday, so no plans on going to a red light district or shady bars! :)

Just eating some good food and shopping.

And I am the least confrontational person ever, so no chance of me bullying anyone :)

I did go jogging at 5:30AM this morning (jet-lag) and saw some interesting characters by the ferry terminal, but nothing you don't see in any major city.

Hopefully I'll get back home with all my major organs intact :)

8. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I hope you have a great time here.

9. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Are you sure of that ? I go to Wan Chai often for drinks after work or for a fun night out and I have absolutely never felt any sort of danger whatsoever.

10. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean

11. frankwissman

frankwissman Karting

May 6, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Frank Wissman
    I'll be in HK Jan 3 - 14, are there any good motorsport bookstores? Something like Libreria dell'Automobile, maybe?

Thanks!

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    An unusual suggestion:

Crown Wine Cellars
    18 Deep Water Bay Drive
    Shouson Hill
    Tel: 2580 6287

Fabulous dinner in an old converted British war bunker.

You may need to be referred by a member, but it's wonderful.

Matt

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Definitely nothing like the Libreria! I think you'll only find coffee-table type car books here...

14. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    PM me if you want to go, I'm a member and will make the intro. It's out of the way, but the menu's decent (Western cuisine) and you can buy wine at retail to less-than-retail cost.

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia