Classic car show | FerrariChat

Classic car show

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kerrari, Nov 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    #1 kerrari, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took a look at the classic show today... Quite disappointing since although it was in a great new big area, the display cars were a very thin fringe around the edges - probably not more than 60 odd cars. The huge space in the middle was taken up by a Mercedes Benz sales tent, kids games and amusements and various commercial sellers etc. Tickets were obviously priced for those enjoying the weekend carnival; at $280 per adult and $100 per kid I'm afraid it was way out of reach for the average HKer, which I find a shame since personally I like to see regular kids being able to see such things.

Ferrari was represented by nice Dino and Daytona (both silver), a few 308/328 variants, and a pair of Mondials (both convertibles, one on 360 rims which is not to my personal taste, but each to their own).

Only Lambo I recall was a very nice red Diablo.

Alfas: 105 and an early Zagato.

Fiat: 2 traditional 500s plus a very nice 124 spider (probably my pick of the show)

BMW: very nice 3.0 CSI and Z1 (the only really novel car there IMHO) plus some regular stuff.

Nice DB 5.

Lots of Porsche of course!

Only real vintage was a lovely RR open tourer.

And an interesting HK built 1960's formula junior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Totally forgot it was on. Just as well.

3. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Was this for the Classic Car Club of Hong Kong?

4. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Not to mention the farce about the VIP area in the Benz tent where no one was allowed to see the classic Benz. I also never understood the bizzare arrangement that you could only buy burgers in the VIP tent. An odd event. I went there with another family and 2000 dollars later (3 adults 4 kids plus snacks) the kids wanted to visit IFC for proper food. The Occupy Central folk have not made it easy for access either. Great effort though which needs a bit more fine tuning to make it a succesfull event for the next year.

5. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    No - which I've only just discovered when your question caused me to check the details on the flyer I got with the ticket. Frankly I'm feeling pretty cheesed right now as the flyer referred to www.hkclassiccar.com but when you go to the site you find it is nothing to do with classic cars apart from promoting this event. At the bottom of the page is a link to "Straight Six Automotive Ltd" which it says was formed with the sole intent of holding a classic car event in HK.

6. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Wow this is too bad. There are scam artists everywhere. There is going to be on the 21st of December 2014, Chater Road Show and Concourse d'Elegance held by the official Classic Car Club of Hong Kong. I'll be entering a 1989 Porsche Speedster which is in 'almost new' shape for one of the prizes. Wish me luck! I am entering the Speedster because my 365 GTC/4 would not arrive till January.

7. jet.gorilla

jet.gorilla Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    South Dakota
    I walked over there. Looked through the perimeter and decided not to go in. Looked pretty empty really. Disappointed.

8. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    It can not be compared to the Classic Car Show in HK. The CCCHK uses volunteers and its not a commercial body / the venue at Charter Road attracts more people.

This one seemed more commercially organised. Its a nice concept if it can take off.

If a local family has a choice to visit Ocean park / Disney land or a similar event I know what they will choose for the same amount of money. Its OK for an adult who is also an enthusiast but way out of reach for most average H K ers as mentioned earlier.

H K does have some great old cars.

My attraction was Italian cars as I have been restoring Italian cars for nearly 25 years with the 1st one being a Lancia Montecarlo.

9. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I would not call this a 'scam' per se, but very, very clever marketing by a commercial entity to leverage off a local group - the signage and graphics certainly looked enough like HKCCC stuff to make me assume ('the mother of all stuff ups' as I was once taught!) it was a new version of the regular event. I only looked into it afterwards, and was pretty annoyed with myself for not smelling a rat.

Does anyone know anyone who displayed or entered a car? I definitely think owners should be given a heads up NOT to provide their cars to events like this UNLESS they are clearly made aware of the commercial nature. Within the website, the organizers refer to a charity "Viva", but make no mention of what proportion, if any, of proceeds would go to this.

10. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #10 FarEastFerrari, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    #11 virendra, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    I think some classic car owners were simply helping out the organisers by spreading the word and loaning their cars. I found out about this event, through an independent classic cars FACEBOOK page from HK (which again has nothing to do with the Classic Car Club of HK) I feel the abbreviation may be misleading.

12. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I'm not surprised - I suspect many unknowing people will feel pretty ripped off by the weekend's event and the REAL HKCCC event next year may suffer from the backlash. Except I'm not sure that many people even noticed this event, so it may just sink back whence it came.

13. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    The show was rubbish considering it cost $280, the Fiat spyder was also my pick.

14. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Did you show a car? Did you know it was a commercial event? Was there any judging / prizes awarded? Just wondering...

The more I think about it, the more I think the organisers used CC owners as 'bait' to get people into their event which was more about showcasing various businesses than about classic cars.

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The Fiat, Diablo and the other cars in that group were all displayed by "Autoerotica" which is a broker/trader - nice cars, but another commercial display (they are listed as 'associates' of the organisers on the website.

16. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was lucky enough to get some free tickets. It was a nice concept but needs a lot of improvement. With Hong Kong having such a mature exotic car market, we certainly should have more events like this. They were also hit by bad luck with Occupy Central and Macau GP clash date. I have no problems with dealers showing their cars as long as the cars are worthy for show. They simply need more cars and more engaging activities in order to justify the $280 tickets and keep the people entertained long enough. They certainly need a huge improvement on the food stands also.

17. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    at $280 per adult and $100 per kid I'm afraid it was way out of reach for the average HKer,

Way out of reach?

With the size of display, it may have been out reach for me as a average Hker!

18. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Agree with Ape Gen. You need to identify with a target audience. People will pay 280 to enter if there is meat on the bone and its more than a car show. . I too do not have any issue with a private co displaying their cars or bikes, but everything must be transparent. As a car enthusiast I am happy to pay the money but as a family I would rather take my kid to Ocean park. If they do it again, they need to negotiate a better deal with the H K Govt for more aggressive promotions, cheaper rental for the venue, more variety of food stalls (seen better choices on X mas fairs in HK schools). They did have a family pass for 600 . I felt that a token amount of 100 for an adult and 40 for a kid would have brought them a much greater exposure.

19. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Actually I think it should only have been promoted as a "Vintage Festival" which had some classic cars on show. They are, IMHO, very misleading to call it a classic car show.

None of the cars (aside from the Formular Junior) had any information with them, they were just parked randomly, there seemed very few owners about to discuss the cars. Definitely not my idea of any professional car show (whether commercial such as Australia's Motorclassica) or club-run (such as HKCCC annual event).

20. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Oh dear. Don't sound very encouraging as I liked the Facebook page & have been receiving updates over the last few months.