Ferrari warning lights in Hong Kong | FerrariChat

Ferrari warning lights in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by FarEastFerrari, Feb 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I have been owning and driving a 612 for the past six months and I have all kinds of indicator lights going on and off. One day it is a "Steering Failure" today it show "Engine Control Failure" some other days there were other warnings which I forgot. If I drive the car for a while in one day or a couple of days, the lights go off. An old time Ferrari owner in Hong kong said that this is a common problem because Hong Kong is a humid place and the sensors go haywire. Has anyone else had this problem with their Fcars in Hong Kong? Singapore owners?

2. pilaki

pilaki Karting

Jul 12, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Angus
    No, at least not in mine.
    When is your last battery replacement? Electronics go mad when battery low...

3. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    nope not at all from this side....and trust me it's humid here!!! is your car park covered? most of these sensors/control units etc aren't just made by Ferrari for Ferrari...they're mostly Bosch, Delphi, etc makes....they do go wrong from time to time for variety of reasons.....have you got your car checked since?

4. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    A new battery would help fix a lot of the problems.

5. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Driving them more often helps. These cars need to be driven; I try to drive mine at least once every fortnight if not every week. After two years of ownership, it actually made me feel that higher mileage on Ferraris is not a bad thing.

I also have my rituals of treating it like a classic car, even though it is just a 360. I don't turn the engine over right away when I jump in, always wait for "CHECK OK" first; I let it warm up a few minutes before rolling off; and I have gotten used to double de-clutching.

They can very well be meaningless to a somewhat modern car, but I know at least these rituals cannot be bad for the car.

6. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thanks. I'll change the battery to see if this helps.

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hopefully battery but might also be sensors or connectors. Your garage makes a huge difference. If it is a humid one you are destined for problems unless you use car really regularly. This why you see many nice cars in "low humidity" garages like Bel Air. My garage is dehumidifier and this makes a huge difference

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That's good to know. I'm in Manila, where relative humidity can exceed 90%. I have a dehumidified garage as well, principally as a precaution against corrosion in my few old cars. I'm glad that might help with the Italia as well.

Andy

9. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Thomas' question related a modern classic - the 612. Hong Kong has areas which have vastly different humidity. Peak is the worst as it is in a cloud for a good part of the year and an interior will mould in a week. Certain pockets seem worse than others in areas like Southside. I have friend who struggled with warning lights on a new 911 turbo as a result of humidity. problem stopped when he kept car at his office.

of course classics fare better in a dry environment!

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, DM18. Yes, when I visit Hong Kong, clouds always seem snagged in the Peak.

It is not too humid at this time in Manila, and I notice the dehumidifiers in the garage turn on only occasionally. RH in the garage is maintained at about 58%, which I understand is ideal. Corrosion tends to stop at 60%. Too low and leather and wood begin to dry out, possibly crack. Or so I've read.

You have quite a collection.

Andy

11. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thanks. I park my car in the Southside. It is not a underground garage but just basically out in the open with a roof covering. This might explain the warning lights. Now I'm keeping my 365GTC/4 in the same garage. I might have to move the older car into a humidity controlled car park to prevent corrossion.

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    thomas what friends often do is move cars around by the season. in the low humidity months from oct to march keep the cars wherever you will use them. for the rainy season best to tuck the cars away as cannot use them too often in any event

13. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I am thinking about ordering a bubble chamber for the 365GTC/4. They make them in the UK for keeping the car dry and cutting down on the condensation. Has anyone tried this before in Asia?

14. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have friends who use these and they seem very happy

15. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    There is a collector in singapore that have this. I personally know of only 1 and there might be more I guess .

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    The leading brand was and perhaps still is Carcoon. They were sold here in Manila some years ago.

They work by pumping air in and letting air our less quickly, thereby inflating the bag and providing a flow of sir. They say it is the flow of air that reduces corrosion and mildew. The problem I see is thst it is pumping air from outside the bag or cocoon, so if that air is humid, there will be humid air inside the bag too. The enemy of course is humidity.

Accordingly, I never bought one. My friends who did abandoned theirs after a while. It is not easy to get in or out of, and so discourages driving the car. If you have an enclosed garage, you would be better off IMO with a small electric dehumidifier.

Andy

17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Rory Byrne has been confirmed to have been working in Maranello at Ferrari for a while now. He is more than just a consultant as he was a couple years ago. Things are starting to make sense now!

18. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I use the Carcoon system. Since it only circulate the ambient air into the cover, you'll still need a dehumidifier inside the Carcoon for HK.

I rigged up a Panasonic dehumidifier with a drain hose so I can leave it running for months without getting the dehumidifier's water container full.

19. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Ha ha ha DM my 550 is a penicillin factory during the summer months, so I moved it out to the NT. The humidity is brutal here in the mist. :D

Modern car's leather seems to survive better.

20. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have used an outdoor version carcoon as well when I had only a parking spot with cover. It shields off elements but moisture and tiny dust particles will still get thru. But it's much better than just a covered carpark and keeps your battery healthy over long period of storage.

21. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    #21 barabba, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    What seems better than a carcoon or similar is a plastic enclosure that stands by itself and is sealed from the outdoors. Then put a small dehumidifier inside and set it to 55% RH.

23. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #23 abstamaria, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think the problem with a carcoon or similar is that it sucks air from the outside and then blows it out, continually replenishing the air within the carcoon with air from outside. If the humidity outside is high, the humidity inside the carcoon will be high also. If one puts a dehumidifier inside a carcoon, one is effectively dehumidifying the entire car park.

I am lucky in that I have a closed garage. It is not large, but I thought two dehumidifiers will be more efficient. They are set to turn on above 60%RH and turn off at about 50%RH. I’ve been using dehumidifiers for over a decade now.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    your 550 is so cigar smoke impregnated i thought it would be immune from mould. life is tough at the top for a big tycoon like you my friend!

25. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I read up some information on Carcapsule which must be similar to the Carcoon. They said so long as the air circulates inside the unit even if is humidity then the car will not rust. I don't know if this is true but in the South side of HK there is always a steady or strong breeze of salty air. I think I will just have to live with the humidity for now. Despite the warning lights the car drives fine so perhaps I shouldn't be bothered.