Hong Kong Not for Classic Ferrari Cars | FerrariChat

Hong Kong Not for Classic Ferrari Cars

Discussion in 'Asia' started by FarEastFerrari, Sep 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #1 FarEastFerrari, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    I just tried to take out my newly arrived 308GT4 from Australia. The battery is low and doesnt start. I'll have to change the battery or recharge it. A couple of months ago my 365GTC/4 had it clutch get a bit stuck due to humidity. It was resolved since then. The Classic Car licenses only allow you to drive the car 10 times per year but the Classic Car Club only drives on Sunday mornings in all the weird places far from the city center and the roads are pretty congested. I'm from Los Angeles and I can recall limitless open roads to enjoy a classic car. Here I feel like I'm more damaging them exposing the cars to the humidity and salty air than driving them to keep them up. So I'm thinking about giving up trying own a classic Ferrari in Hong Kong. After I finish restoring the GTC4 I think I'll ship it to the UK. Am I just ranting for no reason? Do other Hong Kong based owners have different experiences than me? I would love to hear it.

2. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Try to use protective things like a carcoon to keep the elements out if you don't have a garage with humidity control. I'll think about registering the car normally so more frequent use of the car possible.

3. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Your 308 for sale ? Let me know thanks

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    There was a discussion a while back on the issue of humidity and salt air in HK. A Carcoon will help, but, as it pumps in humid and salty air from outside, not much. The drives on weekends on HK island seem clear to me, but I'm just a frequent visitor. I'm at the Mandarin presently.

5. doos

doos Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Australia
    did you buy the car from private seller or dealer in Australia ?

6. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    All of us participated in that thread. Just my personal experience that indoor carcoon versions are quite different from the outdoor one which is what I am talking about. My 308 was sitting inside the carcoon for a few years at a three-sides open carport that can be partly showered by rain and the rust problem was not worsen. It's now in a garage not using the carcoon for a year and a few more bubbles showed up...

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    a few comments:

humidity: absolutely a problem even for new cars. only solution is a low humidity garage. this often means an underground garage such as belair - which is why you see so many nice cars there. some garages are the exact opposite - humidity traps.

movement permit: i believe that the rule is 10 times per permit not 10 times per year. no matter how you look at it, a pita. registering the car is expensive and a hassle but the only way to enjoy the car

roads: many nice roads. just chose time and season.

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    If a car is parked in an open carport, a Carcoon would help because it will keep rain off the car. Also, the flow of air will help dry the car.

However, rust begins at 60% Relative Humidity, stopping at below that level. If you keep a dry car in an environment above 60% RH, unprotected metal will begin to rust. I would suspect Hong Kong is at least in the high 70s and 80s, higher in the wet season and up in the Peak. So rust will be a problem.

I’ve read Carcoon’s advertisements, but they don’t say how it reduces humidity. The RH inside the Carcoon I believe will equalize with the RH outside. Accordingly, if the outside RH is 80%, it will be 80% within the Carcoon. Rust will form too.

A garage can sometimes be more humid that outdoors. If it is cooler inside a garage than outdoors, it will be less able to hold water. Dew point (when water actually condenses) will be reached more easily. That may be why your car suffers more in the garage, Steven. It could be a more severe envirooment. Perhaps a Carcoon inside the garage will help, but, from what I’ve read, only an electric dehumidifier inside the Carcoon will ultimately protect your car.

Just my two cents.

9. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'm no expert in technically how it works, just sharing my experience here in respond to the OP. My current garage is well ventilated but not humidity controlled, so RH is just the same as or close to the environment/outdoors.

Have anyone else really tried the outdoor one?

BTW, carcoon does explicitly say "removing excess moisture". Don't ask me how, I have no idea sorry.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #10 abstamaria, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I suspect the main advantage is the insulation provided by the outdoor version, which slows temperature changes and therefore changes in relative humidity. I read that advertisement too; they don't actually say it reduces humidity. Why not use it in your garage, too. It can't hurt.

In any event, better have the bubbles looked after. There are probably more waiting to sprout. The corrosion was probably there all along, just creeping under the paint. With my old cars (older and more vulnerable than your 308), that's my greatest fear. That is why I've read up si much on controlling corrosion. I have the advantage of an enclosed garage (land is much, much cheaper here), and the solution I've reached are two dehumidifiers running 24/7.

Good luck.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #11 abstamaria, Sep 16, 2015
    But to commiserate with the original post, traffic is pretty bad here as well. Perhaps worse. Sundays are still fine, and access to the north and south superhighways not too difficult. Here's the local Ferrari Owners Club, starting on last month's run.

Just one older Ferrari, a 400i, joined. The shorter runs attract more of the olde models.

12. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #12 piezo, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    They do say it removes excess moisture, Andres, look at the screen capture i posted earlier...

It just won't work without power, and that's the real problem here in HK as not many have the luxury of a private house with its own power supplied garage.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

A few indie shops in HOng Kong keep cars for customers for a fee, IIRC like 5000 hong kong dollars a month, not worth it in my opinion

only thing i can say is comon on man! you are far better off than us guys in the mainland.

they force you to drive your classics to junkyards here

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Indeed, Steven. The lack of an accessible mains outlet is a problem in the condominiums here, too, particularly for owner of new Ferraris. They need to charge their cars every week.

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #15 abstamaria, Sep 17, 2015
  16. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    I just did a quick, informal test today 100 KM south of Manila:

Inside garage, large garage door open:
    67% Relative Humidity, 32 degrees C

Inside garage, garage door open, and inside indoor car cocoon which is fully pressurized:
    67% RH, 32 degrees C

Indoors, doors closed, but no AC:
    64% RH, 32 degrees C

Indoors, fully AC'ed room:
    44% RH, 25 degrees C

I do agree that the car cocoon, while providing little relief on a RH basis, does minimize condensation, stabilizes humidity and temperature, and provides protection against water and other elements. The cars do seem fresher and drier when the car cocoon is used, and definitely remain cleaner.

Your mileage may vary...

17. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Thomas, I guess keeping any cars for that matter especially classics in an island state will always invite rust problem. Unless you have a deep pocket to convert a warehouse/garage & keep them then install humidifiers, air-con etc.

There's one guy in Singapore who did this in his underground parking at home then installed large humidifiers & the water collected goes to a tank which is used to water the plants.

I think the cocoon+humidifier is a good start. Battery wise, you can look into lithium as they last many months without a charge but costly. Otherwise, you guys can explore fuel cell since there's no power socket in most underground carparks.

efoy.com

I have a 210 model installed in my boat which gives 210A/day & primes the batteries enough for TV, Fridge etc. A smaller model should be good for that humidifier & priming some cars.

18. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Salut! Great to see a variety of Ferraris having an outing.

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    For batteries look at Aquion Energy AHI batteries they are clean and last a lot longer than lead/gel or lithium ion. Their new battery stack is rated at 3 KWH and very stable. I'm using nearly 1000 of these on a solar lighting project in Bangkok. In 10 - 15 years or so when they're done you can throw them in the garbage as they're environmentally safe.

20. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I have yet to drive it. I heard before it got here was the best 308GT4 in Australia according to Tim from Black Stallion motors. The car was an original Oz model and has ZERO rust.. for now. I am selling the GTC4 for sure. I am not sure about the GT4. I just got rid of the 89 3.2 Speedster... funny this is car with no rust /engine issues. Perhaps I should have kept the Porsche.

21. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I think this is sort of out of the question in the building that I am renting. If I buy a place, then I think I can do it. I do have a garage in Central. It's airconditioned 24/7. I'm going to keep my car there instead of Repulse Bay. I think for sure it'll be safer in the A/C environment.

22. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I put a for wanted post in the Australian section in Fchat and I got approached by a couple of guys who offered to find cars for a finder's fee.

23. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sadly I'm in the same boat without a garage that's providing power supply. A/C garage would be a really nice place for the GT4.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I keep my car in a sealed plastic bag filled with dessicant which reduces humidity to below 50%, same method used by the military, no need for electricity.

25. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #25 FarEastFerrari, Sep 23, 2015
    I found out what was wrong with the GT4. I took it to Blackbird Automotive and she is alive and running again. First the alternator was shot. They discovered the regulator was also faulty and the wrong type for the car. The alternator got rebuilt by Bosch HK and the correct regulator was sourced from there as well. They also discovered that the choke cable was also disengaged (which resulted in the low idle problem). They will replace the cable and the car will be as good as new