Warning, never drive down Chapel st if you are in a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Warning, never drive down Chapel st if you are in a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Australia' started by yellafella, Mar 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellafella

yellafella Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What a pathetic bunch the traffic police are, nothing better to do than harass a Ferrari. My car, as it came from the factory and is registered here in Vic is just under the 100mm from the ground. Here I am surrounded by **** box cars with no tread on tyres, rust, bad brakes, crap suspension and they have to pull me over because they think it is a bit low. Why are we the public paying these twits?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I continually ask myself this when I hear stories like this mate. :(:(:(

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Can you post some pics of your car yellafella? :):)
    I LOVE it! :D:D:D

4. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    did you get a defect? too low is instant canary sticker...

where on chapel did this happen?

i have been done by stonnington TMU once, and while i DID get a canary (height) - they were most reasonable about several other things :eek:

5. yellafella

yellafella Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    opposite Coles
    It is a bees dick from the correct height
    yes I got a yellow sticker with 7 days but no driving after 5pm
    I might just pump up the tyres.

6. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    damn sorry to hear...i think ride height is the only 'instant canary' - you otherwise need 3 separate defectable items to get done.

try pumping up the tyres high...otherwise is your suspension height adj?

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Pumping tyres would be minimal. Adjust coil overs up a fly sh*t. :):)
    Wheres the pics yellafella?? Any pics will do. Your car is awesome! :):)

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Geez there are some stupid rules..

who, other than yourself, suffers from having the car a little low on the street??

yet try claiming from the councils when you wreck two wheels and tyres in a pot hole.... (it can and has been done, but it's a fight)

FWIW, I've driven many different Ferrari's there (not that I make a point of it, it's really not my scene), so far without incident.

FYI, 1 turn of platform screws is about 3 to 3.5 mm of ride height...

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    my ferrari and i have been avoiding chapel st for years.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    that's just wrong Tony :mad:

your car is brilliant and perfectly safe at the height it currently , as was proved last Thursday when we went for the drive thru some average roads with some poor sections but mostly top venues. The 355Ch handled it brilliantly and never felt twitchy as did the M3 the previous day (also a great car but not in the stability class of the 355)

Thanks for that ride and enjoyed the laugh with you, top man

11. GDThree

GDThree Karting

Nov 27, 2006
    London & Sydney
    That is the supidist thing I've heard in a while???

Your car is stock and they still ping you...WTF are you supposed to do?

I'd be complaining.

Also I thought the exotics were under some sort of exemption anyway because they come like that from the factory and they are brought in as a low-volume import

12. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Sorry to here.I think that you are far smarter then them,so I can see you getting around this.Out fox em with science.As you said put the tyres up or borrow some higher profile ones or as ff said just race the ride height.What is the minimum ride height?

13. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Go to your local M.P that what there paid to do is aid you the voting public.

14. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    100mm..and thats not measured at a specific point...that means NOTHING can hang lower than 100mm

when i got done, it was my f%&#*n exhaust flange jutting down about 8mm too low :(

pulled whole exhaust system up, replaced rubber hanger with a metal item that held it up high...and just passed.

15. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    unless you have absolutey nothing else to do, i wouldnt bother.

a mate of mine was defected one night because the front lip of his (then new) barina SRi was too low. they have a schnitzer front bar which is pretty low.

big song and dance about it being dead stock and brand new...cop wouldnt have a bar of it.

anyway, pumped the rubber up super high and she just made it through.

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes

Strictly speaking the cops are correct...

to pass ADR compliance and roadworthy, the car must meet regulations, (driver safety, ride height, air bag steering wheel, noise, catalytic convertors and emmissions, mirrors and lights etc etc etc...) and the owner must keep to these regs at all times of course...

BUT, there needs to be some common sense and compromise... there are FAR more dangerous and important things out there to worry about.

Tony.. does your car have working flasher lights instead of the normal 355C brake duct intake.... pop up headlight cars need lights to flash at all times? (just another detail they could get you on)

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    100mm ground clearance means exactly that... everything between the wheels must be clear.

18. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    the odds (and attitude of the cops) is always against you Phil.

a TMU officer i have had the displeasure of dealing with once said, and i quote - he could "find something defectable on ANY car"

the things they nit pick on are funny....washer bottles empty, battery clamp not secure enough, anything.

and youre just 3 ticks away from a canary + trip to vicroads. or in tonys case..one tick.

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    that fixes me up,there is no way a 993 R.S Porsche would be legal on standard settings.Good thing about OHOS that are on CH plates just go from one club to another.Glad I don't go to Chapel st or Lygon st.
    If that is all yellowfellows car then that is oh so wrong.Wonder how many rapes/murders occured in the prahran commission flats during all this.

20. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    yeah ud probably have issues with an RS porsche! would a 997 GT3 front lip even be over 100mm!?

you are correct though, avoid those 2 or 3 known trouble spots and you will likely never have a problem. i got canaried - you guessed it - turning onto toorak rd from chapel st after a uni party 3am.

passed a TMU busy with some clown in a laser turbo....rolled past in neutral but he didnt buy it, caught up with me by williams rd :(

girls were on fire that night i may add :eek:

21. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I must have Irish luck,never been picked up with OHOS and boy I've had some out of mine cars on the road.Anyone else had a good run with OHOS.

22. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    i think the cops are just too scared to test you RB

theyd hook the emissions meter up and the reading would say "one car at a time pls"

23. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I agree, BUT...

I got away with my recent double whammy in the BB...

I said I'd see them in court to contest the breach of temp permit, and presented a true and accurate case ( I was test driving AND going home... I am the registered owner of the car, and the mechanic.. I can do both)... they dropped it...

I also said I'd see them in court for my UK licence... as I now had a VIC licence and that it was merely a technicality of my immigration status and NOT a lack of entitlement to drive... they also dropped that too...

I also requested the officer concerned ( I took and quoted his number) receive training for personal skills, communication and knowledge of the law he enforced... which they didn't respond to! (yet still dropped the other charges)

24. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    For years the Kew/Balwyn cops new me,one night in old E-type with loud exhaust cops did a U turn in Whitehorse rd I parked it and went into Safeway(LOL) came out 1 hour latter no cops.If I ever get tailed by em I just park and go into someones home.Got caught one Sunday road testing the Racing Mustang got back to factory about 15 minutes before cops banged on door and wanted to come in and inspect car,I told em no go get a warrant,huffed and puffed and went away,never came back.

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes

ha ha, that's a goodun... I'll tell you another one off line!