BMW M3 CSL- off Topic | FerrariChat

BMW M3 CSL- off Topic

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 360C, Nov 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 360C, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Out with the old and in with the new. My new Maserati Granturismo should be here in the next 4 weeks, so the M3 CSL has got to go and go soon.

Where to start? Total CSL production 1500 and only 23 came to Australia via official channels. 1385kg, 260kw 0-100kmh 4.9secs De-limited (my car is) top speed 285kmh+ Very, very fast car and is quoted as a sub 8 minute Nurburgring time.

A good write up of specs etc here:

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3csl.asp

Top gear video review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5JFlc5VTT0

My car has many mods (I never learn). Full carbon fibre interior including dash accents, centre console and gearshift and steering wheel (standard car has 316 trim). Carbon fibre external mirrors. Six pot front/for pot rear AP calipers in red + Floating brake discs (saves 25kg unsprung weight all up-no misprint). Black Chrome painted wheels. 2 Spare wheel/tyres. Currently fitted with Ferrari sports seats that are not included in the price; but can be purchased at extra cost. Not included as they are a $25k spare part via Ferrari. Carbon Fibre cam cover pictured is not fitted or included but can be purchased at extra cost. Carbon Fibre strut brace is already sold. Car has 3M stonechip film and paintwork is close to perfect as a result.

The car has 100,000km of freeway/commuting miles. Track work is no more than 50km (I didn't like it). Recently had the big and expensive service with full official dealer history from new. Tyres are 10,000 km old Continentals and it has had new brake pads 2000km ago. Needs nothing and will cost bugger all to run for the next 100,000km's. The tear up is well and truly torn up.

The car cost $225k plus all the options and on road costs, so it owes me $260k all up.

Drive.com valuations found here:

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_value/SearchResults.aspx?make=BMW&model=M3&year=2003&body=2D%20COUPE&variantseries=CSL:E46

Red book valuations here:

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/prices.php?id=50745

Second hand example here at $140k:

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/BMW/M3/ACT+-+ALL/detail.aspx?id=3800228&pg=1&pp=8&d=0&nv=1&SG=-282207437

I am motivated to move the car on so I am looking for $100k. The 360 sports seats can be purchased seperately for $10k and the carbon fibre cam cover for $2k.
    The heritage number plate is not included (obviously) and is not available for sale.

If anyone is interested PM me, otherwise it's on drive.com next week.

SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yellafella

yellafella Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    100,000k's , it's ****ed.

3. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    yeah, yeah, yeah, nice car only driven on sundays. ok what's the bottom line?

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's a BMW they go for 250k km's without drama, nothing like a 355 Challenge with 45,000km's- now that's REALLY f*cked!

:)

5. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Short attention span TB Bottom line is well..........................on the bottom line!

6. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    so it's only got 150k's left in it!

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

ROFL. Come on, that's all of 6 months for you.

8. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    so how much with the skinny bum seats?

9. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    lot of good gear on board and under the bonnet.What colour combo is the Mazza?

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did you read ANY of it TB, or did you just look at the pretty pictures?

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mine is a replica of the brochure car- silver with red interior. After I couldn't get the colour I wanted I just went for the equivalent of "resale red".

12. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What it owes you and what it is worth today are totally irrelevant .

13. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    I'm biased but totally agree. My E34 M5 has clocked up 164000km and in that time has done 8 Targas, 1 Rally Tas, 1 Classic Adelaide and a fair amount of track work.
    Compression is very close to original. Has started losing some oil from the timing chain cover area.

Getting back to the M3R, been in it for a drive from Melb to Winton and back and was most impressed. Couldn't fault it. Was very tempted to buy it but would have to get rid of either my E34 or E60 to fit it into the small stable which already has 2 other hacks in it.

Highly recommended! ....otherwise, I wouldn't do these commercials :)

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thankyou Captain obvious; but it illustrates the low cost of ownership from here on out.

Any positive contributions?

15. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Geez Beama, what is your commission?

16. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    nice cf bits

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks Beama. I am tempted to keep it and I have the room etc. Thought long and hard about it and decided that I just wouldn't use it and I already have 4 cars and 2 motorcycles that get little, if any use. It just doesn't make any sense, so reluctantly it's gotta go.

It really is a great car. As mentioned somewhere else, Evo magazine tested all the "M" cars and rated it 2nd best behind the original E30 M3. It even topped the much vaunted M1 that was built by Lamborghini.

I am going to miss the CSL soundtrack. On full noise it really is special *sigh* :(

18. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    FKN BARGAIN!!! If I didn't have the Evo and we were 2-3yrs down the track....

Anyways, what brakes did it come with standard?

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup. The Alacantra interior is also gorgeous.

20. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It has those BMW single caliper things that they use on all their cars. They made great claims for it and they do produce a fantasticly short stopping distance- ONCE. Then they quickly fade away to nothing. They also weigh an incredible amount. We weighed all the standard stuff vs the AP stuff when we put it on. They really do save an amazing 25kg of unsprung weight.

Make sure you watch the topgear CSL video, it gives a good impression of what the car is like. BTW, all Oz cars came with climate control A/C and "business class" radio.

21. yellafella

Jan 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tony
    [

I am going to miss the CSL soundtrack. On full noise it really is special *sigh* :([/QUOTE]

so you have flogged it hey?

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

so you have flogged it hey?[/QUOTE]

WTF does that mean? If you mean't "thrashed" nope. If you read the initial post you would see it has done less than 50km on the track. I did it once and didn't like it and as I have some better suited cars for that purpose I never tried it again.

The CSL has a huge "flap" in the carbon fibre air intake that opens up at around 3500 RPM or when you push the "sport" button. When it is open the intake roar is absolutely huge and it sounds incredible (see Top gear video).

Other positives are faster steering rack than standard and really great "feel" .

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    you two need to learn how to quote.

24. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    it's all in the wrist :)

25. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    A night in PP's cellar.

If I didn't have so many spares like engine, GB, diff etc for my E34 and wasn't so attached to it, I would have the M3R in the garage now. It would hurt though to strip it to put a roll cage in.