Tyres | FerrariChat

Tyres

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Horse, Jul 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Horsey needs some new shoes.

Any opinions on these?

Toyo Proxes R888

Kumho V70A

Michelin Pilot Cup Sport (this is what i have now)

Any thoughts most welcome. :)

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've heard Michelin TRX are tops.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Anything wrong with the Cup Sports mate?? Are you just keen to try something else on Horse? :):)

4. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gee, I haven't.

5. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They are not as good as I remember Yoko A008RS were, but this could be my memory!

So happy to look at something else.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    R series tyres, shakes head

7. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've run R series tyres on the car for the last 20 years, not going to change now!

8. 993TT s

993TT s Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    Horse.....my opinion is that the Toyo R888 is the best of the bunch you have listed. The Toyo comes in early and will stay around for quite a while before going off or getting hot. I run these on the road and they are also fine in the wet, (I have AWD!).

The Kumho are ok in smaller sizes and work very well on sedan type cars. Watch the sizing though. Some of the larger sizes do not measure the size the tyre claims to be.

The Michelin is diabolical in the wet and also takes some time to come in. When hot it is very grippy but seems to go over optimum temp very early. My car is around 1350kg's and even on 295/30-18 rears, they get way too hot after a 5 lap supersprint run. If you were doing time shoot outs and could get these to the optimum temp before you went out for your one lap blast, they would be the ducks guts, but they are not as good all round as the Toyo in my view.

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Toyo RA1 ?

CC runs them on his car in preference to the Hoosiers so they must be good

10. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A helpful, sensible reply - what are you doing on this site????

That's about what I've heard too.

My experience is that the michelins take too long to heat up and seem to have a very small window where they are great.

only driven in the rain once and thought they were quite good.

haven't herad much on the Kumho's but the size thing has put me off.

looks like the Toyos. :)

Any other thoughts - these are 16" wheels, so not a hell of a lot of choice these days.

11. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I had Proxes before, Pirelli P zeros now... no complaints with either really, but I think the Toyos might get a bit longer life?

12. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They don't make a 225/50/16 that I would want to run on the front. (245/45/16 on the rear)

13. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi Karen, they call a lot of their tyres Proxes, it's the R888 which is their soft R rated motor sport tyre that I'm interested in.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Oops, sorry, I've done another 'bloke' read. Must be picking up bad habits from somewhere :O

15. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    R888's would be my choice.....but I have no experence with any of the ones listed. I have used RA1'a on my old race car and compared to every other tyre (and I tried heaps) the RA1 was the best, so Toyo as a brand gets my vote and the R888's look cool :D

I am not a tyre expert and cannot diagnose why I felt the Toyo's worked better but it was probably due to them becoming sticky earlier than the others which meant even though I was not pushing the tyre around it was still getting to working temp and doing a good job. I ran Hankook z2000 which value for money were great. But Toyo gets my vote! :)

16. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks James

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    hey Horsey, I hear crossplies work really well at QR (wink wink)

just a helpful hint to a fellow QV owner ;) ;)

they will save you at least 3 SECS :D

18. 993TT s

993TT s Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    Yeah, sorry about that.....you see, I am a tyre guy. It's what I do, so as soon as the discussion turns to tyres, I get all animated and informative. Outside of that though, it's all down hill! Have no opinions, no conversation and not really any personality that you would bother to mention. So in a nutshell, you have had the best of me!

oh, by the way............get the toyo's! :)

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    what wheel size?
    I'm a great fan of the Advans.

20. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Hmmm

21. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    ok.

22. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
  23. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Hey 993,
    If you're in the tyre business, any thoughts on tyres for a 456? I know it lacks imagination, but I was going to replace the P Zeros with, well, P Zeros. Reason for replacement is that they're about 8 years old and would be best used for sharpening axes...

24. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I run the R888's and reckon they are brilliant, I wouldn't change my mind having used them, I concur with Grant's comments on the Michelin Cups, had them on second track wheels on the BMW and they are slower to warm up, that said you are using them as a street tyre and that is probably not as critical.

You know I did quite a bit of research on current R tyres before buying them as my street tyre on the 430, just before the Tassie trip we did, they are the tyre of choice on the front line cars in Targa Tas.

If you can get the right size go with R888's IMO.

25. 993TT s

993TT s Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2006
    Hi Dave, you would laugh if you knew the tyre business I am in, but the science is the same anyway. My choice for the 456 would be Continental ContiSport11's. In my experience, and I stress that part, the Continental gives grip almost at the levels of Pirelli's and Michelin's more extreme rubber and yet works particularly well on on more road orientated stuff. I run these on my wife's 325i which is quite a heavy car for it's size, and they are the best combination of wear rate, grip and comfort. They are just as expensively priced so if you have to have the dearest of everything, you wont be let down but they will keep wearing way after the P's and M's have given up the ghost.
    I fitted a new set to my Porsche for a track day in Adelaide where we took clients and some guys from this site for many laps of Mallala circuit for the day. The trick to doing those days is to get a tyre that has some slip so it feels exciting at lower speeds and yet can still hang on in the braking zones and so on. Normally a high end road tyre or a used set of semi-slicks is the go. The Conti's were great. They allowed me to slide the Porsche, which can be treacherous at the best of times, and yet appear to be in complete control. They did over 70 laps in one day and then were set up to be used as the "wets" for the Adelaide Raly Sprint the next day! I ran them out on the Porsche over around 8000k's after the track day! That would be thousands of road k's.

THat's my two bucks worth and I hope it helps. I have no commercial arrangement with Continental and I sell opposition products in my chosen field of mining and excavator tyres..........so it is the closest as I can get to an honest opinion!