Ferrari experience for a friend | FerrariChat

Ferrari experience for a friend

Discussion in 'Australia' started by chylld, Mar 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chylld

chylld Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ryde /Syd /Australia
    Hi all,

I'm a new member here and have recently been intrigued by the thought of swapping my BMW 125i coupe in for a 355 or maybe even a 360 if funds allow. The only thing more intriguing seems to be the ownership experience, especially if the 348/355 sub-forum is anything to go by :)

That said there is also the flipside: the joy of driving a Ferrari. I want to allow my friend to experience this as part of his upcoming Bucks celebrations in a month's time.

The problem however is that he is only 28, and Ferrari drive days (SCRO, Prancing Horse) in Sydney commonly require a minimum age of 30 due to insurance restrictions.

What are some other options I should consider?

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

get him to buy his own

3. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fixed.

4. chylld

chylld Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ryde /Syd /Australia
    As much as I'd like to wish, PP would have to be nuts to let someone drive his car.

At this stage I'm even just looking for someone with a modern example to take him from his home to the Sydney Ferrari dealer in style... after he has a bit of a gander there we can properly take him elsewhere to get smashed proper :)

5. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    everyone's driven those old things :p

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  7. chylld

chylld Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ryde /Syd /Australia
  8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So, did you?

9. chylld

chylld Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ryde /Syd /Australia
    A lot has happened in 6 years, but unfortunately no Ferrari.

The 355 maintenance costs scared me so I put my money into property which in hindsight was a good move. Then in 2014 I bought a Lotus Evora that I could track without worrying about massive repair/maintenance bills (of which there have been none thankfully.)

Last year decided I wanted a bit more speed and refinement so went car shopping again and was almost sold on a McLaren 570GT. (Only Ferrari I drove was a California which was an absolute disappointment but I'm told is not representative of the brand.) Then Lotus brought out the Evora 400 and gave me a trade-in deal I found too hard to refuse.

Still eyeing the next upgrade but it will likely be the AMG GTC/GTR or McLaren 540C/570S. Have lost a bit of enthusiasm for Ferrari as they seem to be more focused on collectors and car shows, which is fine... however I'm after something for the track.

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Did you drive the 570? If so, what was it like? I'm told the interior is a bit of a disappointment.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    355CH is ideal, and due to an anomoly in Australia it was allowed to be driven on the road as well as track.

12. chylld

chylld Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Ryde /Syd /Australia
    Tested a 570S twice, the interior was great except for the seats... the side bolsters restricted my arm movement a lot so I was constantly hunting for a better seat position... something that is made hard by the electric seat adjustment giving you massive movement or nothing for each press (after you find the buttons that is!)

It was a very refined car though, felt more of a finished product than both 650S and 12C which I tested beforehand. 12C I was given for the whole weekend and to be honest I was quite happy to give it back.

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for that insight. I'm still curious to see what direction McLaren ends up going, as in if they'll be a success or failure.