Another geek question | FerrariChat

Another geek question

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kerrari, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    My hotmail (now an outlook) account is operating normally (not the same as well...) on my mobile devices, but when I try to log in on main computer I get a security wall wanting to confirm an alternative contact. That's OK but when I try to change my details, no email option is accessible and I DON'T want to give my phone number. Anyone know if this is for real or a scam?
    Secondly, I need a web-based email address since I don't seem to be destined to stay in one place for too long so a local server-based address isn't what I need.. How do I get such a thing? And yes, I'm willing to pay! If someone can explain in simple (blond) language that would be great!

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    When did Hotmail stop being a web based email???

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Karen,
    Get a (free) Gmail account and wind down the hotmail, people will eventually get used to the new address. Gmail can be accessed via browser or imap, I can pm you the imap setup for your mobile devices if you cant find it.

Never give your mobile number to a website, it is a major identity theft risk. Just google your own number - you may be surprised how much comes up.

Ian

4. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What exactly does this have to do with Ferrari?

5. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had me worried there for a minute - never done this before but I googled my mobile number and was astounded how many "results" came up.
    But they all turned out to be bollocks - they were almost all fishing sites and none of them had anything which would identify me unless I was prepared to pay for more information. Funny about that.

Then I thought, what's the difference between this and the old white pages anyway?
    So what if my number is linked to my name and address?
    As long as its not linked to my credit card or banking details?!

Re hotmail, I haven't noticed anything different but I only use that email when overseas.

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for giving me extra paranoia!

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    It's about helping people out,buddy.
    All the folk on this thread know each other personally and(some)are techno wizards,as has been shown in the answers.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is that where you fit in?

9. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    'kn hardly,more like you smarta#$

10. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks Ian, I already have a gmail account but I fear it will go the way of hotmail hence my question of is there such a thing as a private subscription email service? Every time email is changed it inevitably means some contacts get lost. Thanks!

11. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    LOL! A man of many talents, but pooters...

12. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    what happens if you put in a phoney number?

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't understand the question.

gmail and Hotmail are addresses you can always use forever. you can use both of them in outlook if you like AND they're web based too...what more than that are you looking for?

14. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Aren't they all??? :p

Joking aside I've had my bigpond email address for 17+ years. Haven't had a bigpond internet account for 14+ years though. I pay $20 a year (it might be $20/six months... whatever its trivial) for a "just mail" service.

That said your contacts are locally stored unless you get an exchange service type account (which just mail isn't) - but that is easy to manage through outlook on your PC/mobile.

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Hmmm that's interesting - that's the sort of thing I've been looking for and didn't know it existed. How's the service though? Have you used it overseas much?
    Problem isn't with ME losing contacts, but some folk aren't very good at updating THEIR contacts... and yeah, yeah, I hear ya! Just a good excuse for some people to 'lose' me!

16. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    You didn't read first post - I can access hotmail on my mobile devices, but using main computer I'm locked out by so called 'security' wanting me to update my alternative contact but when I try to change details, no email option is accessible, only phone number which I'm not willing to give. Don't know if this is legit or scam or even a hack?
    I also hate the new Outlook version of hotmail.

17. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Karen,

It's not a scam if you are logging into the hotmail/outlook website.

It's just 2-way verification. GMAIL has been doing this for years. It's an optional feature for security conscious people.

Microsoft Account Gets More Secure - The Official Microsoft Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Microsoft just added this feature this year because they are always behind the times.

I have had my number linked to gmail account for years and never had it compromised.

Someone stealing your snail mail or someone reading your CC details at a store has a better chance at identity theft than linking your mobile to your email account.

18. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've used it all over the world and about 6 years of the 17 were living out of Australia. It has and continues to work perfectly well. I also have a similar UK based email address which I pay a similar amount for (and is handy as the contact email for my UK itunes account etc). It too works everywhere.

Send me a PM if you want any more details.

I suspected that's what you meant :)

19. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Cool thanks for the info. I'll see if I can organise it over the net. If i get stuck I'll pm, thanks!