2014 Formula One Season ***possible spoilers*** | FerrariChat

2014 Formula One Season ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Nov 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thought I'd get in early....nothing too exciting to report yet, apart from a sighting of a LaFerrari running at Fiorano with, allegedly, the new V6 turbo for F1 next year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk]Ferrari camuffata a Fiorano - YouTube[/ame]

2. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #2 Aircon, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    On 8th December 2004, a surprise test took place at the Fiorano track; unusual not because a Formula 1 car was running out of season, which was the norm back then, but rather because of who was the driver. In the cockpit of the F2004 that Michael Schumacher and the Scuderia had only recently taken to a fifth consecutive double world title, having won 15 of 18 races, was no young talent, but instead a man who, thirty years earlier had played an important part in the team’s history, Carlos Reutemann.

The Argentinian had arrived in Maranello the previous day to rediscover the team with which he’d been a front runner in the second half of the Seventies. Reutemann was a race driver from the end of 1976 to 1978, winning one Constructors’ crown in 1977 and five Grands Prix. Welcomed by the Managing Director Jean Todt, Reutemann visited both the Gestione Sportiva and the Gestione Industriale and had a phone conversation with President Montezemolo, who was in China at the time. It was in fact a conversation with the sporting director about his experience as a Ferrari man that led to the idea of him taking a turn in the car that had won that year’s Drivers’ and Constructors’ titles. So, the following morning, Reutemann arrived in Fiorano where engineers and mechanics were awaiting him for a really unusual test. On his feet were the same shoes he used when he was racing and on his head, a helmet with his old colours of yellow and blue. Lole did a handful of runs, completing a total of 17 laps.

“It was an unforgettable experience,” said Reutemann afterwards. “I want to thank Ferrari for organising this run, even though it’s a holiday today and for allowing me to feel these emotions and I really had a lot of fun! The car is impressive, especially in terms of the power of the engine. It’s a whole new world compared to the cars I drove in my day. On the television, today’s Formula 1 car can look easy, but having tried it for myself, I can say that’s not the case!”

4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Nail, meet head.

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 2h
    Double points for the last F1 GP of the season looks like an answer to a question nobody was asking. Devalues the other races too

5. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    The f***?

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GByFJjr1Fw]CGI VFX Spot HD: "Opening Clip For F1 GP Brazil"- by TV Globo - YouTube[/ame]

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  8. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
  9. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Cough cough cough. PP did something good and beneficial for this forum. WOW. Well done. That was really great. It must have taken some time and significant talent to make that clip.

10. dkilka

dkilka Formula Junior

May 8, 2007
    Australia
    I wonder what **** they were smoking at that meeting to come up with that stupid idea......... It's the solution to a problem that never existed!

I know! f%4# the whole F1 calendar, who ever wins the last race wins the title..........:-s

Or lets just roll a dice...........

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ignore the double points in Abu Dhabi, put aside the new five-second penalty for "minor infringements", forget about the FIA's desire to encourage more teams to F1 using the same carrot (budget capping) that gave us Virgin, Hispania Lotus... and almost US F1. No, the section of the 2014 Sporting Regulations that really warrants discussion is the new grid penalty system in terms of engines and gearboxes.

Remember the good old days when straightforward grid penalties were meted out should one change one's gearbox or exceed one's engine ration? Well for 2014 and beyond the powers-that-be have taken the idea a little further.

Whereas drivers were previously allowed 8 engines before being penalised, in 2014 this is reduced to 5. However, to further complicate matters, units are now broken down into "key elements" (of which there are 6) which means that drivers are allowed 5 sets... however, should any of these fail...

Article 28.4 states:

a) Unless he drives for more than one team (see 28.4(d) below), each driver may use no more than five power units during a Championship season.

b) For the purposes of this Article 28.4 the power unit will be deemed to comprise six separate elements, the engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE). Each driver will therefore be permitted to use five of each of the above six components during a Championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time.

c) Should a driver use more than five of any one of the elements a grid place penalty will be imposed upon him at the first Event during which each additional element is used.
    Penalties will be applied according to the following table and will be cumulative:

Replacement of a complete power unit - The driver concerned must start the race from the pit lane.

The first time a 6th of any of the elements is used - Ten grid place penalty.

The first time a 6th of any of the remaining elements is used - Five grid place penalty.

The first time a 7th of any of the elements is used - Ten grid place penalty.

The first time a 7th of any of the remaining elements is used, and so on - Five grid place penalty.

A power unit or any of the six components will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.

If a grid place penalty is imposed, and the driver’s grid position is such that the full penalty cannot be applied, the remainder of the penalty will be applied at the driver’s next Event. However, no such remaining penalties will be carried forward for more than one Event.

Confused... you will be.

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    From Todt

Overcoming Red Bull for title spoils next year will be "difficult" for Ferrari, FIA president Jean Todt has warned.

Before the Stefano Domenicali era, Frenchman Todt oversaw Ferrari's ultra-successful Michael Schumacher days, delivering a Red Bull-like period of domination with five consecutive championships until 2004.

Kimi Raikkonen won the title in 2007, and Ferrari has come close to winning in subsequent years, but president Luca di Montezemolo this week admitted he is "sick of coming second".

"I hope that Ferrari do a good job," Todt is quoted by Italy's La Repubblica, when asked about 2014. "They have already done this in the past few years.

"Obviously being second is not the same thing as being first, but it is also really difficult to be second," he added.

Todt was also asked about Bernie Ecclestone's troubles, and the prospect that F1 could soon be needing a new 'supremo' at the helm.

The 67-year-old said he hopes Briton Ecclestone, 83, "stays in his place for many years".

"I saw him (last) Monday," Todt said. "He is in great shape, vibrant, motivated. Then we talk about what happens after Ecclestone?

"I'd rather focus on the present," he insisted.

Todt sidestepped any talk about the potential problems caused by the revolutionary new regulations, or the obviously urgent need to cut costs, answering: "I do not have a crystal ball".

He also didn't want to talk about measures that were considered for 2014 but not adopted, such as mandatory two-pitstop grands prix.

"I read a lot of proposals," said Todt. "If I was to comment on everything that we read, we'd be here until tomorrow.

"The reality is that we have spoken about the tyres, but the regulations will not change next year.

"There will be tests next week in Bahrain, where I hope the right solutions will be developed. I am convinced that Pirelli has all the ability and the professionalism to do it," he concluded.

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  15. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #17 Aircon, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    Yep makes one wonder how Luca's brain works unless Kimi is bringing $$$$$.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  20. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sooooo.....you'll(Youl) be by yourselves,then?

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    they like to quarantine the looneys, in case it's contagious. :)

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Millard and I won't be helping Button this time .... last time we yelled out to him to go to the pits and change tyres he won the race :eek:

23. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Sorted. :D

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia