The next collectable Ferrari | FerrariChat

The next collectable Ferrari

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 575, Jun 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Well we all know that the 246 dino has become a massive hit with the collectors as has the daytona.
    But what is next. It seems that pretty much every thing ,except the supercars ,from the 308 on has been left behind with prices still falling in most cases.

I would have expected the vetroresina 308 to have made more progress than it has and the only notable appreciation has been in the UK For 575 Superamericas which have doubled in price from their low of £75000 in 2009.

So what is going to be the next big thing???

2. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    If you think markets only ever go up, you are in for a nasty shock. The classic car bubble is overdue for a correction.

The cracks are starting to show, clearance rate at the recent Mecum auction was 65%.

3. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks for the advice.

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    that's what modern Ferraris do, none of the modern production cars collectable. When you build 20,000 examples of a car, it's hardly rare or exclusive.

5. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    360 CS prices have been crazy for some time, potential modern collectable

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    well the carsales website asking prices may be crazy, but what cars have sold and at what price?

7. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Do you have any examples of sale prices?

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 wrxmike, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    In no particular order, cars with upside, or limited chance of further depreciation

1:
    Vetro dry sump 308's

2:
    Clean, original 308 GT4's
    Bertone shape is coming in to its own, it has the allure of a carby car, with interesting styling. Very, very few unmolosted ones, never going to set the world on fire price wise, but some upside possible

3:
    365 GT4 2+2's
    Front engine carby V12 with knock of wheels and "365" in the model designation, linking it subconciously to other Ferrari's with "365" in their name.
    Arguably a "better" driving car than a 365GTC/4 and a 365GT 2+2, but at 1/2 to 1/3rd the price.

4:
    365BB
    Rare supercar, no idea why they are still behind 246 Dino prices

5:
    550's , starting to develop a bit of a following.
    Know several people that used to own one new, sold it and purchased newer Ferrari's and then 5 -10 years later have gone and sought out and paid top $$$ for a 550...

6:
    Early TR (high mirror, knock off wheels)
    Iconic supercar of the 80's. Still has amazing road presence

7:
    360CS
    People (owners) love them.

8:
    355 GTB's 6 speed
    Sound great, last of the compact Ferrari coupes.
    Or even better, a road registered 355C..... :)

I forgot to add that there are easier and safer ways of making money than speculating on cars. Pretty much all the people I know that have made / make money on cars are either professional dealers, or people that bought a long time ago, because they liked the car, and any increase in price they have seen is due to luck rather than any planning.

M

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  10. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cool. What about 355 GTS 2-doors?

11. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I've been shopping for several months now, typically real sale prices are 20% below advertised prices. Some exceptions of course and some dealers are actually quite realistic, e.g. Scuderia Graziani asks $260K for 599's where many others still dream at $299K and more.

Not that I'm buying a 599 - they're all red & tan with shields - my nightmare Ferrari spec.

Wish I could find a nice blue one...

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 wrxmike, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    My ( biased ) opinon:
    GTB > Spider > GTS
    6 Speed > F1

My view: If you want a removable top, you'd want to go all the way with a spider.
    The F1 got a lot better in the 360 (and the 430 )

M

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the 512 boxer does not make the list? 355 does however? lol.

14. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would say GTB > GTS > Spider.
    My observation is there is no premium with the asking prices of manual cars (note I didn't say 6 speed). A lot of the people who get their knickers in a knot about "flappy paddles" are people who wouldn't buy these cars anyway.

The Spider looks great with the top down, but not so good top up.
    GTS looks identical to the perfect lines of the GTB with the top on, and enables 80% of the fun of the Spider top down. It's a win - win.
    Then again, I would say that wouldn't I? :)

Agree 512BB should be on the list. Great looking car.

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    There was one on carsales for a little while a couple of months ago. I think it had a tan interior.

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pity about the wet sump ones which are more sought after in this country.

17. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    I would have thought the 550 barchetta and the 365 Rubbernose are candidates for serious appreciation and a Superamerica 575 in manual will be the see biggest jump in value.

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very good points

Nothing against the 512BB looks, the question was about potentail appreciation.
    To me a 365 BB has better potential than a 512BB, and an early TR better potential upside than a 512BBi.

M

19. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
  20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the bbi is THE LAST scaglietti built Ferrari. I cannot imagine on any planet where the early tr will out pace a bbi in value.

I am likely very wrong but it is just my opinion.

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Didn't mention the 365 GTC4's, as they are already expensive.

I was offered a 550 Barchetta 3 years ago for a very good price, but couldn't get my head around the lack of a proper roof which to me severly limited it's appeal.

575 SA would be a good bet, not exactly available everywhere though.

M

22. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I don't think there are any collectable Ferraris in Australia. The old 250 SWB of Clapton's #02335 (Now exported) or the Smoker 250 SWB #03551 would be about it for our tin pot market.

The rest of the junk is subject to traditional market forces of supply and demand. The Auction houses and car magazines have a lot to answer for as well, by really hyping claimed sales results and road testing cars for an article that just happen to be for sale at the time of publication, co-incidence?

Have a look at Daytona #14111 from Australia for example, which is now offered by a British dealer or the overseas "Sales" of Dino 246s which again, seem to end up between dealers.

None the less, a rising tide floats all boats. Certainly I've had my fair share of calls over the last 6 months of newbies chasing any type of carburettor cars because "It's a cool car to have."

I'm old enough to recall the savage correction of January 1990 and the ensuring few years after where speculators and dealers were left high and dry thinking their "Collectable" was only going up.

I use the word collectable carefully, but my advice to any person who is not a car nut, but wants to get into the classic car market and hopefully stay ahead of inflation...buy any two seater car where the total number produced does not exceed about 300 units.

If you think that 575 variants are going to keep climbing along with 355s and 360s, you are in for a rude shock.

I can see a correction coming along, perhaps not as violent as 1990, but it's coming.

23. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Whilst I agree with your point overall, I wouldn't put much faith in "the last Scaglietti built" argument. BB's (like every other carby Ferrari) are at a peak now, watch them fall back to $250K in a year or two.

TR's have limited to no upside because they made so many of them, until the 360 it was Ferrari's largest production volume ever. They're also not particularly well made and have multiple weak points.

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    What happened to 246 prices is IMO a classic example of auction houses creating a new market. They were running out of listings (=income) for the traditional classic V12 market so set about artificially ramping 246's. Get one dealer to sell to his mate and hey presto, a new price record. The car quietly goes back the other way a few months later. Meanwhile, there's a rush of 246 listings.

25. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You keep saying that, but regadeless of how the prices got there, they are there, and not just based on one transaction. The Dino phenomenon is not just limited to the UK or the US, it's been pretty much everywhere.

M