Can you drive LHD cars in Australia? | FerrariChat

Can you drive LHD cars in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RS man, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Just trying to get some info from those who reside in Australia.
    Cheers.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Car has to be 30 years old, ridiculous but there you have it, you can drive a POS 30 year old Yank tank with appalling brakes and handling but a new Italian super car or similar LHD

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    RS Man, I recommend you make all your investment decisions based on opinions you get on the internet. :)

4. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fixed. ;)

5. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok, tell me the logic behind allowing a 30 year old POS "anything" being allowed on the road but you can ban something like an F50 for the same LHD configuration ?

I have NEVER liked US cars (except for the odd Corvette) but any 30+ yo car will NOT have the inherent safety that a modern car will have.

This guy was asking what the rules are for importing LHD from Scotland, I doubt he will have (but it's possible) a huge Yank Tank.

My mention of the US cars was an example of why our import rules for LHD are so ridiculous mostly because I see so many of them here on the Gold Coast, 6 metres of bad taste with no brakes and tidal suspension, I don't give a flying **** about the investment decision, they are a ****ing danger and you would know that better than me .....

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    John, read your first reply to the guy again, it makes no sense. That was the point of my post.

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    For an f50, can you get a pass to drive it to the track? Or does it have to go on a truck?

I have seen a few f40s out and about occasionally.

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I can get drugs cheap this week :eek:

Sorry for the dyslexic post, I knew what I wanted to say but got distracted ..... but every post of mine is gold :D

I did tell him the 30 year rule though before I lost the plot :)

I just get incensed that an F50 isn't allowed on the roads but these old bangers from LHD countries with little or no safety are allowed on our roads.

I'd rather see F40s or F50s driving around our streets than 18' monsters with no brakes

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I seem to remember 360C having to get his transported but he is a stickler for doing things legally and you may notice the F40s are on historic or similar plates

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Until the F50 is old enough to get club registration there is NO legal means of driving one on Victorian roads. Numbskulls who haven't read the rules (or don't care) will say that you can get a temporary permit or a trade plate; but neither is correct. It's the old story of "It's not a problem until something goes wrong, then it's a HUGE problem".
    This is why I sold the F50. In 5 years of ownership I did something like 2000 km's and if I wanted to use it I had to transport it to a race track which is a real PITA.

You see F40's getting around on club rego plates because they are old enough now. Remember they were released in 1987, so these days they qualify as real OHOS. The F50 didn't come out until 1995.

11. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    So 2020 is the time to buy your old F50:D?

12. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Thanks guys, I am not fortunate enough to own my favourite car F40, but IF there comes an opportunity to move to Australia, I would like to take my LHD 993RS there. It all depends on where my eldest child ends up settling and whether I can find work If I decide to up sticks.

13. rob_london_sydney

Oct 22, 2005
    London as of January
    Full Name:
    Rob M
    I imported a RHD car from the UK back in 2009, using the australian personal import scheme.

I found this to be a small amount of paperwork, and pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure if theres any particular reason for you having a LHD car whilst based in Scotland, but my advice would be to swap it for a RHD car, keep it for 12 months, and then proceed down the same route I took. You will find life much simpler, along with less issues down the track in Australia if you should come to resale time.

14. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    A friend of mine did this while living in Japan and made a tidy sum when he brought the car back here.

15. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    not everyone is so lucky
    (cue Moretti's BMW 7 series story)

16. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Limited no of RHD keeps prices very high unfortunately for the RS but wanted a LHD as it has a more natural pedal position and more pool to choose from. Wasn't thinking of Oz but I am hating the winters here having grown up in a hot climate. I won't be changing to RHD so will need to think of options.

17. alvchua

alvchua Karting

Feb 16, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Depends on which state you end up living in - Western Australia has the most forgiving rules whereby most LHD vehicles can be registered and driven. South Australia - car has to have been built before 1/1/1979 to be eligible for LHD. As for Victoria - if the car is more than 25 years old, or first model of the vehicle was built 25 or more years ago, then you can get it registered under the Club registration scheme - $65 for 45 days driving per annum and you can always pay another $65 for another 45 days but no more than 90 days per annum on club registration.
    NSW - a little more difficult with club rego - needs to be 25+ years for LHD but you can ONLY use the vehicle to and from a club event.
    Not too sure about Tas, NT and Qld.

18. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. That is interesting.
    Did we ever clear up the insurance implications of driving, say a VIC club registered car in SA?

I'm planning on bring in a 288GTO* which it seems I could register in Vic.
    Could I then drive it around in SA?

*may or may not be a factual scenario

19. alvchua

alvchua Karting

Feb 16, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    no issue with Shannons when I had my club reg'd cars in SA - after all VICROADS don't stop you driving a Vic club reg car anywhere in Aust as long as you fill out the log book each time and don't exceed the no. of days per year.

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In fact, I'm doing that right now!

21. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thus proving the stupidity of not having universal laws.

22. alvchua

alvchua Karting

Feb 16, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    agree - you'd think you are moving to a different country crossing interstate boundaries!

23. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I own one of those 'terrible' American cars (67 Camaro). It has big brakes, very good suspension and an EFI conversion
    It makes great power and handles/goes/stops pretty well, but I respect it for what it is and it's an occasional cruiser, but what a blast it is to drive.
    In WA we have the thirty year rule so it doesn't even have to wear the 'caution left hand drive' sticker.
    Personally I would rather it was RHD coz you are in an unnatural (for OZ roads) driving position. Sometimes you feel like you are driving in the gutter as you find yourself staying too far left just to be safe on a narrow road.
    With no passenger you can't go to a drive through for take away
    I was waved down for an RBT once and my wife had already blown into the machine before the cop realised there was no steering wheel on her side. His colleagues were having a great laugh as we were allowed to carry on our journey
    So RHD is ok in Australia providing you meet your individual states requirement but I would not recommend it especially for a car which may get a spirited drive
    My two cents

24. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    That's story is funny. Looks like WA has 15yr rule after which it is fine to drive, others are 30yrs. I don't quite see what the issue really is as Japan has both RHD and LHD and I also drive my LHD 911 in UN (RHD). I agree it is inconvenient for daily driving but I don't see it as an issue for the occasional drive I do. Better pedal position too for the 911.

25. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Get a dealer licence, then drive what you want?