getting a new ferrari below list price | FerrariChat

getting a new ferrari below list price

Discussion in 'Australia' started by scud, Jan 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    with the arrival of the 430 on the horizon , and the waiting list stretching into the years , how does anyone bargain with a dealer and get some $$$ off the road price? If you don't take the car at list price I assume the dealer will give the car to the next in line ? Do we just cop it sweet and enjoy the drive ? any thoughts
    rock on

2. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    You cant, though you could always flip it :)

Are you getting screwed with your order ??

3. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its a helpless problem. You really cant get around it.

My Solution:
    Buy a Hyundai

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    riiiight. i almost stepped in dog poo this morning. collect enough of it, dump it in my driveway, and i'll treasure it more than a hoondie. :)

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Don't forget to sprinkle some hundreds and thousands on it

6. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    I am due for a very early coupe and a very early spider so I should make some $$$ on the coupe. I might try the ( buying 2 cars in short time trick ) to see if I can budge the price. I will also leave a deposit on a 430cs if it is made so I hope to gain some points with the dealer over time. Unfortunatley I've bought a tubi and cs rims for my 360 spider but that was through Cant so now I have to start again.
    rock on

7. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Has the price of Ferrari's or any imports for that matter reduced over the last 18 months? With the AUD strengthening by 30% you would expect a 30% reduction in import costs.

8. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No not really. We have had a recent retail price cut here in Aus as of late, but its not that much. The only imports to lose are of course the flood of Japanese cars we get. Skylines, Rx-7's,Supras etc... All "JDM" (Ubertek Speak) cars.

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    You could always buy a V12 and negotiate a discounted F430 as part of the deal. Heard of a 100K+ discount on a new 575 today.

10. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ouch! That'll do wonders for resale!

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    .......and you could buy that 100k discounted car, drive it out the showroom, turn around, drive it straight back in and lose another 100k on the trade in value.

Offer 'em 400 cash and you'll lose your arm with it....probably!

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Word on the wholesale grapevine is that 2nd hand 575's aren't selling even at low 400's, high 3's on low <3000km cars seems to be the market. Time to sell the 550, buy a 575 and throw the suspension in the bin.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yeah maybe, but the 550 is down in the 250K or even less ball park, and a 575 ain't even a 50K better car, never mind 150k, AND your mates and neighbours won't even know you've changed cars. (if that's important to you!)

Gimme 100k to spend on your 550 and you'll eat std 575's for breakfast in all dept's.......

plus... maintenance and repairs are more tax friendly than purchases.....!

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have two buyers at 285+ on my car, playing a bidding war as we speak (so to speak :))

15. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    you're still going to be 100k out of pocket to get into a 575, which you'll then spend another 20k on making it "yours", and then another "x" hotting it up.....

oh yeah, and if you're thinking of buying the F1 575.... Please drive it for at least 200 km before committing. I did and don't like it,....... but you decide for yourself.

A 20 minute blockie won't tell you much......

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Correct, 575's are supposedly in the trade in the high $300's. If you own an early 550, it is now in the early $200's.
    Either way, that's a hell of a lot of car for the money.

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    G'day Scott...got any current pictures of your race car to share with the forum.......

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Agreed, the market is also full of imports that are distorting the prices. There seems to be a firming of Aust delivery 550 prices over the past 6 months. Not sure whether to stick with my 550 (2000 build, 2002 delivery) or sell it retail and replace it with a wholesale/distress sale 550 or 575.

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Take the money and run in the opposite direction. The buyers haven't done their research too well IMHO.
    I wouldn't change from a 550 into a 575. There isn't much difference for the money and the 550 is pretty much fully depreciated. The 575 still has a way to go yet before price bottoms out.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I'm only looking at it opportunistically. Buy a cheap 575, change suspension, add Tubi etc have some fun, sell over 12 month period, find another car, repeat.
    Find me a late model black 550 less than $250K and I'm a buyer. After you add FHP (5K for ECU's alone), Tubi etc you start getting back up in price again.

21. Q..

Q.. Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Qld
    Full Name:
    Paul
    scud, have they given you any indication of when ?

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hundreds; but you would be horrified ! Then again Carl has no doubt showed you some for your amusement.
    Restoring old race cars tut, tut, tut

23. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm with Phil on this one. Keep the 550, the 575 is a backwards step (unless you MUST have F1 gearchange).
    If you are doing it to have fun mucking around rather than make money, go ahead (been there done that a lot). You won't make money selling your 550 retail and then trying to buy distress sale 550/575 at wholesale. Unless you have an LMCT, the Government will steal any margin in it with the taxes in changing over.

24. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

F430 Quota's are not firm with the dealers yet. Any delivery times are pure conjecture at this stage. The dealers get there demo cars in March, the first customer cars are maybe April. The dealers don't even know the final mix of Coupes/Spiders yet.

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Nothing wrong with restoring old racecars... but yours is nearly new!! It's still a current FIA car