3x8 novice & cam belts | FerrariChat

3x8 novice & cam belts

Discussion in 'Australia' started by blazing928s4, Aug 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    Hi, first post from another lurker...[be gentle with me!]
    I'm Nigel, from Melb & have been looking at cars for some time now....
    I have done a lot of reading on forums, books etc to answer most questions that arise.

I've driven a few Ferraris over the years and are now wanting to add a 3x8 to the garage with the 928S4.

Both cars have many stories about cam belts etc. [as many threads on 928 forums -maybe more in fact].

I am looking at a 79 308GTB that last had its belt changed in 2005 with nearly 4000km driven since.

The car is in Canberra & if it ends up being bought I would ideally like to drive it home to Melb. Nothing like a good road trip, though unfortunately with winter I wouldn't be able to come home via the Alpine Way , as i think you need to carry chains. any way I digress and I haven't even seen it yet, just got quite a bit of info including work sheets from 2002.

My intention would be to drive home & then do the belts/tensioner/water pump myself.

Life is always a risk, but from what I've read it should be Ok to drive back as long as everything else checks out.
    Collective thoughts?

thanks Nigel

[and back to the 928 fuse box - which makes the 308s look like a kids school project]

2. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    This is strictly "IMHO", but my concern would be that these rubber belts have been mostly sitting for the past 9 years and most of the Ferrari mechanics will tell you this causes more deterioration than actually driving these cars. There's decades of argument on this site about the intervals for timing belts - I choose to do mine every 4 years for no good reason other than that's what I decided based on the range!
    Even a visual inspection by a competent mechanic might be able to head off a 'disaster' (ie disintegrating) belt. Also do you know if the sodium valves have been replaced?

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I hate cars with low miles but if it's been well looked after then no issue, but if this car hasn't had the belts changed since 05 then for under a grand you can get the belts and tensioners changed and have no worries, why risk a $10k fix for no good reason.

308s are pretty close to bullet-proof and seeing as how you're already a masocist (928) this should be a piece of cake for you :)

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Get it inspected by someone who knows what the hell they're looking at, and truck it home. I know the drive sounds like a romantic idea and everything, but it might just turn that dream into a nightmare.

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Actually, WRXMike is a Canberra local and very handy on the tools. He'd love to inspect it for you AND do the belts and tensioners for free :)

6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I was going to suggest him to do the belts, etc for free but I thought his asking price may have gone up to a slab :p

Maybe it's his 308 for sale ?

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    personally I think the cam belt "issue" is over stated - I've never heard of a 308 having a belt or tensioner failure on the road. I've seen cars still running with tensioners that needed a pair of vice grips to turn. As Moretti says, they are bulletproof engines and will take major neglect and abuse.

The one major weakness is the original sodium cored valves. When buying a car, you either need documented proof the valves have been changed to stainless steel, or you budget $10K to do the job. Dropped valves were very common events in 70's Ferraris.

Starter motors, alternators and water pumps need to be serviced every 2 years. Simple to remove yourself. A good idea is to swap the water pump for the later 308QV version, which has much stronger bearings and rarely fails.

8. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    #8 RPN, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You could come over the Alpine Way if the temperatures are reasonable & high pressure system dominant. A little patience & planning would see to that.

A set of $10 old ladder chains off e-bay would serve as legal prophylaxis and the resort web pages indicate whether fitting chains to 2WD required.
    Thus if you cross your peaks in the early afternoon on fine days you should find roads pumped clean by the swarming masses.

As the F car a true European contrivance, it will drive well in Alpine Conditions; but beware these roads are lethal & absolute killers, something not widely publicised.

A steady & highly neutral approach is best.

If you have never driven snow & ice conditions I would recommend learning in a cheaper OHOS as it would be a shame to drop your 50K on the maiden voyage.

Attached pictures are from the Cambraville Road; off the top off the Reefton Spur this morning at less than 1000M.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Great photographs. :)

Looks just like our Brisbane drives........NOT.

10. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    thanks very much for the replies.
    car had valves replaced in 2002 , along with main bearings, valve guides, rings etc and has had quite a lot of work done by Piccola Scuderia, which according to a search is no longer in business, but the mechanic is now working elsewhere - I have the number to call him.. The info doesn't say what valves were installed, so I'll need to call to verify.

certainly quite some dollars spent over the years, suspension, hoses, a/c etc.

Is there a reputable mechanic that can do a PPI in Canberra? Or the belts etc?

I know I would probably end up trucking home, but Browns Rd, Imlay Rd, Cann River roads are calling. I've ridden them on the bike a few times, they would be fun....romance beckons!

nigel

11. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    Fantastic pics, ridden the Reefton - never driven it!
    I'm off to Buller next weekend, [49th season skiing] so snow driving is not an issue

12. perrm

perrm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2010
    Canberra, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice pics. Is there anywhere in Aus your car hasn't been? :D

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Extraordinary!

14. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sorry, but I think you'd be nuts to attempt the Alpine Way in winter, especially on a first drive... not to mention all the Toorak tractors on the road.

15. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep....on the GG.

16. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Just as a little side note - I've taken my car to every state and territory except NT and Tas (hope to correct both of those in the not too distant future).

Has anyone got every state & territory for one Fcar?

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian in VIC has done an Australia round trip in his GT4, hope to emulate that within the next few years

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're buying another GT4?

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Why not, they're great cars ........... and the 355 would need 2 majors before I finished if I took it

20. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    In reality what size person can you fit in the back of a 308GT4?
    1/ behind a 188cm driver, I do tend to sit close to a wheel.
    2/ behind a 160cm passenger?
    This should be fun...

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I took kids in mine...no problem. But that wasn't the real benefit. There was just so much room! More head room. More shoulder room AND...somewhere to through you coat and bag ...the back seat!!

I also took Pap's 6' wife in the back for 30-40 km. By the time she got out, she couldn't feel her legs :)

22. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks Wes; its only about 2 easy hours from my front door; thus a regular excursion.

Correct & sorry Simon; I'm keen but it will take some work.

For distance & comfort I think pre adolescent only.

They are a small tight tub chair with very limited leg room.

That being said the boot is great & empty back seats great for miscellaneous items & its nice not be jammed up next to a bulkhead.

Great car for tall people; I am 187 cm & its easy.

23. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    I've always been an big Urraco / Lambo fan and have always really liked the GT4.

I investigated the Jalpa for sale, but to many unknowns and too many things not working and as I have too many automotive projects awaiting my time I need a good runner.

My kids are 11 & 9, but the 928 ( when it gets back on the road..) will probably fill that need.

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    She still curses us both to this day!!! :eek::eek:

If that's the case, buy a good 308 and enjoy yourself. They really are great cars. :)

Keep the 928 for family drives. You then have the best of both worlds. :)

25. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Did he include Tas and ACT? :)