Technology | FerrariChat

Technology

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Since the iPhone has become less relevant, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread on technology instead of putting things in that iPhone thread....so, I'll start :)

Samsung's new phablet. If you have a note already, this probably isn't ground breaking, but if you have an iPhone, prepare to be amazed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv7C4e8thv0]Samsung GALAXY Note 4 ? Official Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

2. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Until recently, I'd never bought a watch in my life....now I want to buy all of them!
    Same OS and features as the one I have now, but a nicer looking package.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttGns0zZKs4]ASUS ZenWatch ? Always Within Reach - YouTube[/ame]

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This one looks the best, and actually works without needing a phone to tether to.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UepJGyyqYw[/ame]

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yeah, but it's not an iphone

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're right! I hadn't realised.

6. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    However, my dad has bought me plenty of watches. ;)

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    So does anyone know why my ipad returns "cannot find the server" ever more frequently? It's driving me nuts! Happens occasionally with home PC, rarely with work PC? Nothing to do with internet connection which is very reliable here.

8. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Does this relate to an email issue?

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  10. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Holy hell!

And my Nexus 5, as I've mentioned previously, was $400.

Apple are not leading technology, nothing new here.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Never mind that, you didn't respond to my last SMS

12. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Seriously!
    128GB iPhone 6+: $1249
    128GB Surface Pro 3: $1209
    128GB 13" MacBook Air: $1199

Phones are absolutely more expensive than people who only buy on contracts realise, but when you're spending more than a high quality computer... wow.

13. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    The round Motorola 360 looks better IMO... but battery life is hilariously bad.

The trouble with watches is that phones do the same stuff with one hand - the only use case I can really see is for notifications, where they're a little better... other than that, what's the point? (honest question)

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    what fon do ewe have Mikey ?

15. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    An oldish Nokia Lumia 920, but running the current version of Windows Phone. I like it because it doesn't make me shout like Android phones do, and it's a sturdy fellow - I dropped it on my desk once, and it left a dent...in the desk.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've found my smart watch very useful.

I can send and receive sms and email without even looking at my phone. Very handy if you're busy and just want a quick look or to send an OK. Plus, one look shows time, weather etc without having to take your phone out of a pocket or whatever....you don't realise how handy that is until you try it.

Do we need them? Certainly not.

17. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    One look at EVERY watch shows time FFS ;) Super-short emails seem like a viable use I guess, although the gain there can't be very big, considering how easy it is to do that on a phone already. I'll check out your gold iWatch next time I'm in town :p

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I hate Windows phone, my HTCs came with it and all I did was waste time trying to change the operating system

19. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    That's Windows Mobile (unless you had a HTC 8S or 8X about two years ago), it was a completely different thing to the current Windows Phone. Current one has an NT kernel and a Metro interface.

20. perrm

perrm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2010
    Canberra, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd be interested to try one of the smart watches. I like the idea of the convenience. The most important thing with them is the usability of the interface. Get that wrong and the thing is basically useless.

The new iPhones - once again - are basically just evolutionary. No Revolution. The pay system looks like it could be handy though. As with all these technologies though, I would like to see common APIs so they can be implemented in a platform independent manner. Vendors don't go for that crap though. They just want to lock you in.

I'm with you vMax. I was using a 920 - but it had an incident with the garage floor. I've since upgraded to a 1020. The current iteration of windows mobile - in particular 8.1 is soooooo much better than the old rubbish. Very usable and very slick. Having said that - the Mrs loves her iPhone.

21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Often happens when trying to get to live.com but also happens for all sorts of other ordinary websites as well... When I first noticed it happening it was on the mainland and I assumed I was up against the great firewall, but now happening a lot in HK where we're not (supposed to be) behind the wall but I'm wondering? Also, there's been a lot of reports in the news here recently about major servers such as facebook, outlook etc getting close to capacity - wonder if it's true?

22. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    There are so many different things to measure and so many geographically dispersed datacentres that "capacity" is basically a meaningless measure not related to any reality except that of the extreme oversimplification you get from mainstream news outlets. The speed and efficiency with which any major online service can expand is absolutely amazing.

23. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    In theory, that already exists with Android and WP. The impression I get is that Apple's system is basically the same as those but with some shiny stickers on top. I hope it is, because it'll push the whole industry forward if so - individual Android OEMs, even Google or Microsoft, don't have the "do this or f**k off" mentality that Apple does.

I kept looking at the 1020, and definitely would've gone that way if my phone met an untimely end. Thankfully it hasn't yet (although all the corners show signs of being dropped onto tiles and concrete from chest height several times), but I've got my fingers crossed for a 1030 or similar to show up in the next few months!

24. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    "The pay system looks like it could be handy though."

The CBA have had this feature for the past 6 months in Australia.

25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    open a CMD (dos) window and do a tracert to your mailserver from your PC, this will tell you if you are going via the Great Firewall of China

Of course you need to know the IP address of the firewall but you should find this from google