458a in Australia | FerrariChat

458a in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mil, Oct 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mil

Mil Rookie

Oct 2, 2014
    Hi guys,

A McLaren owner from Sydney here, Im not a massive fan of Ferraris but love the 458a. Calling my Maserati dealer from Ferrari Maserati Sydney two days after the cars where rendered all where sold. Is anyone lucky enough to have got an allocation?

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm the opposite of you probably - Mclaren styling doesn't do it for me although they clearly make excellent cars. I have a Speciale A for a May build next year so should have it in Perth 3 months or so after that. Not sure on spec yet - will do the Atelier in Maranello before making any decisions. Not sure what the total Australia allocation is and dealers aren't releasing that info as far as I can tell.

3. Budders

Budders Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    Pleased to say I have 1 coming, there were two of us with allocations in company of Sydney dealer exemplar at Maranello in late September, you will love the experience when you go, one consultant at Atelier indicated she had specified approx 80 Speciale A's at that time, just prior to the Paris release

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Yes - did the Atelier for my 458 spider and also saw it come off the production line and got to drive it at the factory before it went back in for finishing. The Atelier was a lot of fun and it was great wandering the factory to look at what various options and combinations look like. Will probably do the Atelier late next month if they have a spot. A couple of other musts while I'm there - lunch or dinner at Osteria Francescana in Modena and balsamic from Leonardi which was recommended to me by Montana ad is excellent!!

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Congrats both of you :)

6. Budders

Budders Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks very much! a few months to wait but will be worth the wait

7. Budders

Budders Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    Hmm foie gras ice cream ! Book well in advance for the dining experience , hopefully your WA dealer can organise?

8. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The last few times I ate at Francescana it was easy to get a table. Since it got rated as one of the top restaurants it may be a little more difficult - we shall see!!

9. Mil

Mil Rookie

Oct 2, 2014
    Congratulations to you both! I had a Granturismo before my two 12c's and it was in service for about 3 months. They gave me a California to drive but it just didn't feel right, I've driven quite a few ferraris but in my opinion they cant compare to the mighty mclarens in driving experience. Do yourself a favour guys and go drive one you wont't regret it.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Wrong sort of history

11. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    All these cars are up there in performance, which frankly most of us can't use to their full potential. Then it comes down to how the cars grab you. I've driven the 12c and the 650s and I just don't like their design. I used my 458 spider as a daily driver and felt uplifted every time I sat in the car. I'm sure my Speciale A will be even better as I've loved the test drives I had in the Speciale.

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Actually I don't get your bias on this on Moretti? Bruce McLaren was a far better driver than Enzo ever was, and a real engineer as well. As much as I love Ferrari cars, the truth is Enzo was really more of a facilitator (admittedly bloody good at find the right people for the job). Had BMcL lived, he might have followed in the steps of his mentor, our mate Jack Brabham.

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I think he was referring to "Mil" 's ownership history. One Maserati experience hardly qualifies anyone to sit in judgement of Ferrari.

And you're drawing a long bow to connect current McLaren's to Bruce. They are kit cars built by Ron Dennis, who has only ever been a garagiste.

The truth is that Enzo built complete cars. McLarens have only ever had bought in engines, gearboxes, etc.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Yes I agree the bow might be a tad long since Bruce never lived to build the car he dreamed of; I think it would have been a ver different story otherwise. And I happen to really like the current McLarens - although I could never be seen driving a car with a little kiwi on it! :)

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Agreed. The design language on the mclaren is too rational. There is no elegance or flair with any of the lines. A ferrari sets of that passion that very few cars can. And it wins in the sound department by a long way.

16. Mil

Mil Rookie

Oct 2, 2014
    I know who has the numberplate "F 458A" for nsw. If anyone is interested pm me!