Tom Hillardt | FerrariChat

Tom Hillardt

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Horse, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It was sad news to hear that Tom Hillardt had passed away.

Tom took me out for my first fast ride in a Ferrari many years ago and the memory has stayed ever since.

It was 1983 and the club was staying at The Country Comfort hotel in Glenn Innes. My father and I had started out in his Alfa Montreal but it had had an “issue” and we had taken it home and continued down to meet everyone else in a normal car.

The next morning, early, Tom saw me and must have thought this young fellow had missed out on having an enjoyable drive and that he should liven up my weekend. He walked over and asked in his accented voice “vould you like to go for ein Shtrap?” What else could I say but “yes!” We were soon on the outskirts of town and Tom was showing me close enough to 8,000 RPM in every gear! The speed and the noise are still with me as well as Tom’s infectious enthusiasm!

A few years later I also remember Tom telling me, as he was involved in the building of the Gateway Bridge in Brisbane, that he had the opportunity to take his 308 over a few times before it was officially opened. The figure 210 comes to mind!

I also remember Ray Helm telling me of a drive he had in Tom’s 308, which had the factory “hot up kit” of big cams etc, Ray said it easily sat on 8,000 revs in top for quite a long time on a trip along the Cunningham highway. Those were the days.

RIP Tom and say hello to my dad!

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Nice story...apart from Tom dying, of course.

Is that Mike's dad?

3. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    He will be missed, one of the original speeders.
    He joined the club a couple of years after me, and had purchased Bill Cunliffe's glass GTB which his son now has.
    Bill had all the "hot" bits installed when he bought it in England I think, that's going back.
    Drove it around Europe and England, travelled to the states with it and a XJS, and brought it home to OZ.
    My thoughts to Michael and family.

4. littledino

littledino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Lewis Reinhold
    Nice story Yuley as we both know.It certainly planted the seed in you!

My thoughts go out to the Hillardts too.

5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Lovely story and very heart felt. Those guys who truly inspire people are a rare commodity and should be valued more. You are privileged to have known him but it is obvious that you know that already. Vale Tom.

6. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I never met Tom but he called me out of the blue in about 1998 or so and asked if I would send him copies of the articles I was writing in the FCA Vic newsletter. We had a long chat about his car and he related some experiences that sounded most outrageous. He was really passionate about that car.

About a week later he sent me some photographs of his 308 GTB and enclosed an A4 letter typed in serif font detailing its history, it was very nice surprise. Every time I sent him an article, he always replied with some information about cars up North. I still have them all in my files.

#19395 was his 308 GTB.