F355 Major Service | FerrariChat

F355 Major Service

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JOW02, Oct 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOW02

JOW02 Karting

Apr 3, 2008
    Brisbane
    Like some input from other Ferrari chat members about does and dont's of a major service on a 355. I put my 355 in for a major service and the people doing the service did not remove the cam covers and check the internal timing marks after changing the belts. Told me it was not required and not a part of a major service. I ended up with bent valves, due to one of the cams being out, and a expensive repair bill which I had to pay myself.
    Is this right that it is not required to remove cam covers and check the timing marks after performing a cam belt change?

2. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Easy, just read the workshop manual.

One usually marks the camshaft pulleys BEFORE removing the belts so that assembly can be affected accurately. However, this assumes the timing was correct in the first place.

There is usually no need to remove the camshaft covers as part of an engine out service unless the camshaft seals are leaking however.

Being a 355, they usually shake themselves to pieces by the time a major is due, so you'd take the camshaft covers off to change the camshaft seals, gaskets and "O" rings, and you'd probably paint the camshaft covers too as the rubbish quality paint would have flaked off.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Holy crap!
    I agree that under some circumstances you don't have to check the timing, for example if you knew that the timing was right and nothing changed (you're meant to lock the cams in position when you change the belts), but, if the valves weren't hitting the pistons before, which it's safe to assume they didn't, then the cams must have moved during the belt change or skipped a tooth since, which is a big no no.

You didn't say how recently the belts were changed before the bent valves....but if it was soon after, sue them. I would.

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not essential to check the internal timing marks, if camshafts are locked before removing the old belts and then the new belts are out on it should be ok.
    If a camshaft has moved during the belts off / on process the damage to the engine will occur as soon as it is run ( valves hit pistons ).

Most of the time in a 355 the camshaft oil seals are weeping, so the valve covers have to come off anyway, so the alignment to the internal timing marks can be checked

If the failure happened some time after the belt change, the problem won't be initial timing of the cams, it will be because the belt will have skipped a tooth for some reason - perhaps the belt tension not set properly or a failed tensioner bearing ?

With the amount of labour involved to R&R the engine , most people would replace cam seals. valve cover gaskets, tensioners and water the pump while it's out and easy to get at.

I suggest you check your statutory rights under your state's consumer laws.

There are always 2 sides to a story, what is the repairer saying as to the cause of the failure

M

5. JOW02

JOW02 Karting

Apr 3, 2008
    Brisbane
    I presume it was straight away as by the time I got home it didn't feel right

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Who did the repair? The person who did the service? We need more info. What was their story about it?

7. JOW02

JOW02 Karting

Apr 3, 2008
    Brisbane
    I don't think it would be appropriate to name names. They just claim that it was OK when it left their premises. On removing the cam covers it was discovered that one cam was out. They claim it might have been like that before the service. Can't say much more.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ok...don't name names, but we need more details. I would have thought that asking this BEFORE the repair was done would have been a smart move.

Sue them.

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it had bent valves when it came in, why did they not notice it ?
    A 355 with a bunch of bent valves is pretty easy to "hear" , certainly to someone who is familiar with the cars

If it was ok when it left their premises and it happened shortly afterwards then it would appear to be their problem.

Find out what your rights are, get some proper advice.
    Reputable shops have insurance for this sort of thing

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is that your new thing? Read my post, reword it a bit and post the same thing.

11. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    His posts sound more credible. Why is that? :p

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No reason I can think of

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Coincidence

When I started typing no one had posted in the thread, by the time I had got around to finishing it you & Carl888 had posted.

M

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Likely story.

15. JOW02

JOW02 Karting

Apr 3, 2008
    Brisbane
    You are right about hearing it if it had bent valves. My car was OK when it when in for its routine 3 year service and I noticed it while driving it home and called them straight away. I got my 355 fixed elsewhere, for obvious reasons, and when I emailed them about these issues they did not reply. Since I got no replies to my emails I called them and was told that they had got legal advise and because I didn't bring it back to them to be repaired they would not be paying anything towards the repair costs. Unfortunately this is the law that if you don't give them the chance to rectify the problem it is hard to get any sort of compensation, which is understandable, but you should not use this law to your advantage.

The main part of my listing this thread was to see if anyone had a item by item list of what should be done during a major service as I was not able to find any detail of this anywhere except for the very limited information in the Ferrari Service manual.

16. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a shame you didn't take it back to them so they had a chance to fix it or you could have entered into a VCAT situation that "someone" here may have been able to help you with.

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm not sure you don't have a claim despite not going back to them for them to check it out. Why didn't you let them have a look at least?

I don't think there's a list as such, but there is a way of doing things so that this doesn't happen. There's also a workshop manual which explains how it's done.

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Ferrari service manuals are really a resource for a factory trained mechanic, not a comprehensive set of instructions for someone who has not seen the car before ( ie like a Toyota service manual).
    A lot of obvious stuff is left out as it is assumed the mechanic has familiarity with the cars and knows what to do: "inspect and replace as neccessary"

There may be a more detailed listing of the steps involved in a belt change in this publication ( based on having seen similar manuals for other Ferrari's) but I havent seen the f355 version of it.

Ferrari 355 Service Time Schedule Maintenance Workshop Manual Binder F355 | eBay

How much was the repair ? I'm assuming a bunch of bent valves on the inlet on one side ?

M

19. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Horrible situation you are in!! In west oz we have the MRA who regulate the automotive industry over here. I'm assuming they are also in the Eastern states. Most reputable mechanics are members of this organisation so I would suggest seeing if the person who did the work was a member and if so report it to them. Hopefully they can assist in finding a resolution. I had a major problem with bad workmanship on one of my cars a few years ago and they where very helpful . Failing that try and find some middle ground with the people who did the work as you really should have given them an opportunity to rectify their mistake. I hope you get a good outcome to what seems to be a very expensive mistake by the mechanic!!!

20. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    I have spoken to a lot of Ferrari trained mechanics both in Oz The Uk and Ireland and they all sing off the same hymn sheet so to speak re 355 major. They only ever remove the camshaft covers during a major if they need to replace leaking cam seals. If the cam seals are ok they simply lock the cams and replace belts. To the best of my knowledge this is the standard maintenance procedure issued by Ferrari. I have factory workshop manuals and will have a read on your behalf.

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Steve
    I've got the factory manuals too, they don't specify what should be done, just how it is done.
    The factory service times book (which I don't have) breaks down the major jobs and lists the time to do each step - that will indicate the minimum steps for a 355 belt change and what is considered extra.
    M

22. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Ahh ok. I'm doing mine soon and won't be removing cam covers unless seals leaking. I have been told by three Ferrari trained techs that this is the guidelines they follow when doing a major. What I do intend doing is to degree the cams as some people have informed me that even when you use the factory marks the cams can be off by up to 3 degrees! Not a huge amount but will obviously affect overall performance . I'm not 100% sure but I believe this can be done with the cam covers still in place

23. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cams can't be degreed with the cam covers in place.
    And if you decide to pull the cam covers off, its not a lot more work to remove the cams and change the oil seals.

M

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'll be interested to hear what you find. One mechanic told me that every car he's checked with its original cams/engine has been spot on with the timing marks.

25. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you only plan on changing belts, you know its possible to change the belts with the engine in the car. Fuel tank needs to come out, apparently it's a bit fiddly but it can be done.

M