Top speed of F1 cars ?? | FerrariChat

Top speed of F1 cars ??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moretti, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    300 clicks has been the norm for F1 cars for over 50 years, so why haven't they increased to 500 or more with all the so called advances ????????????????????????????????????????

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    what a dumbarse question.

3. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    LOL.

I can't believe he asked either.

Is he an FKA member?

4. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Must be a member of the FDKCA

5. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    The cars could do 500kph if the drivers didn't suck.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_y_SybMlO8]Daaaaaaaaamn! 15 min loop - YouTube[/ame]

7. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm pretty sure they were hitting 360 at Monza.

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    There are no dumbarse questions, only dumbarse answers ...... so you don't know the answer ???

Thought so :rolleyes:

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Married 3 times !!!

Of course I belong to that club !!!

Still no answer though, I think it's BS that F1 cars have NOT bettered the speed of the Auto Unions 76 years ago

So they get to 350 in a blink, that ONLY underlines my query, why not 500 ??!!

They keep saying that these F1s light up the rears any time they want so that means 400 should be on the cards

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Still too slow in my book, if planes had stagnated as badly as F1 we'd still be catching a boat to Europe

11. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I take your point, but the reference to aircraft is wrong and a constant frustration of mine.

The current crop of airliners are SLOWER than they were 35 years ago.
    Aicraft development in terms of performance has been at a complete standstill for at least 30 years.
    Major leaps have been made in efficiency and safety, but none at all in performance.

Frankly, modern aircraft are incredibly dull compared to the good old days. :(

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Because they are regulated and restricted for safety and cost reasons. 10 years ago they made nearly 1000 hp but were watered down due to safety concerns. Nowadays it's 600 hp from the engine plus another 160 electric motor burst for 33s per lap. Cars were 7-10s per lap quicker in 2004. Engines were more powerful, aero less restrictive, tyres more aggressive, chasses lighter and refuelling was allowed. Without any restrictions, F1 cars would be so fast that they would be undrivable.

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    True re commercial aircraft but the performance aircraft moved ahead in huge leaps and bounds since 1938 where the SOS hadn't been breached, now they go through the SOS at ease.

Unfortunately war planes are now just weapons platforms where they take off , turn on the 400-500 miles radar threat panel, the computer locks on, launches the appropriate missile, threat gone, land and have a beer.

SR71 and X-15 were my favourites, pure speed and able to outrun anything fired at them

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Tracks haven't changed considerably over time either? How much have cornering speeds increased might be a more interesting question? I suspect that while cars have had max capability of 300km/h for some time, more time is spent on the max than previously? Hence lap records that do constantly (albeit slowly) decrease?

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The X15 was nothing but a study. The SR 71 found its match in the MiG 25/31. Fighters are not getting faster really. The F22 is a Mach 2+ jet, the F35 is a measly 1.6!!! The Pak FA will be quite fast at Mach 2.5. There were some statements that a Mach 4+ MiG 31 Foxbat replacement is under development but there are no further information.

16. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 Steve355F1, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great pics!

Not sure why there aren't more canard designs around, but the Eurofighter is a mighty impressive bit of kit.

In fact I reckon they would have been a better bet than the Super-Hornet, or the JSF (if it ever actually amounts to anything)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Are any of the planes you worked on still flying? Unlikely!!!

To answer your question, I'll give you a hint. What do you think would happen to a current F1 car if you took off all the aero? Or at least had zero downforce?

Not much aero on an Auto Union btw.

David Coulthard cranked his McLaren up to about 360km/h or so at Monza in 1999. They don't get much faster than that.

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I only washed them so not my fault
    They would go faster but I seem to remember them putting an F1 car on a runway and still not hitting 400 so there are no turns to worry about and they still run slow (relatively speaking).

Sure they might lift a little but this is the "pinnacle" of motorsport so I'm not impressed by the "advances" , add a diffuser remove the massive drag from the rear wing , small wing on the front and 400 here we are.

Jet fighters reach rotation at 300 kph and they are designed to lift so it seems F1 designers are hopeless in my book, they need to hire some aircraft designers so some REAL advancement happens in useless F1

19. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    If the punters track side can't read the sponsor signs as the F1 cars whistle by at 400 plus then who would sponsor. Read where the money comes from.

20. perrm

perrm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2010
    Canberra, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Little off track here, but hey - it's the Aus forum. ;o)

The SR-71 is an awesome plane. It still amazes me some of the technology we humans build. One of my favourite stories is an excerpt from Major Brian Shul's book "Sled Driver" which is about his time as a Blackbird pilot.

Have a read of this snippit: The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird (Particularly the ground speed check bit)

It's a little lengthy for those of you with the short attention spans, but it's worth it.

21. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  22. F106SJ

F106SJ Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam Lengas
    What about Indycars JM? Done we have a resident expect? :)

Aren't they a better example? On ovals, top speed is a big deal? They run shallow wing, and even with the tubs don't they hit 400+ on the straights?

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Do they Sammy ?

I just think it's a bit weird we haven't moved onto a higher speed

24. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the answer is, in part, that it's about lap times rather than outright top speed.

However i acknowledge that previous F1 cars are faster in this regard as well.

I put it down to the "homo-fication" of pretty much everything.

ie. When efficiency rather than outright speed becomes the mantra in everything, including even Formula 1, you know the world has gone completely mad.