Someone got a bargain!! | FerrariChat

Someone got a bargain!!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steve Harkness, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Well I was at the Mannheim auction in Perth today where they auctioned off a damaged 430 scud. Now I don't know if the purchaser is on f chat or not but when you see it in the flesh it might not look pretty but when you have a good look at the engine set up boy ur gonna be so happy !!!!

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What did it sell for Steve? I saw it online last week, looked like a great car before it was destroyed.

3. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    $111,000 but trust me the motor alone is worth more than that!! Serious dollars spent on it n it's got massive up!! I chickened out at $106 ,000 coz the missus would have shot me!

4. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Oops I meant hp!

5. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
    Still a good price IMHO

What did the 355 go for?

6. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Think it was $38500. Motor in bits,no books,keys, backend buggered,no comp plate, lots a work!

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow! Thought someone would have paid near $200K for that one.

Too much money, that needs to be taken to the dump!

8. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You didn't look anywhere near hard enough by the sounds of it.
    Big question mark over engine health as oil level was questionable. It had the full monty Novitec supercharged motor, might make you ponder drivetrain health?
    It needed a new body shell as it had nasty structural damage in the front. Virtually every panel was cactus, suspension was rooted and on it went.
    Parts car at best, $50k if you had time and patience to part it out and flog on eBay.

Car was originally Srecko Lorbek's in Melbourne, then sold to WA and hot rodded.

9. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    I had a pretty good look and the structural damage was completely repairable! Trust me spending several years straightening out cars 1 day on the bench and it will be as straight as an arrow! As for the motor $150,000 spent on supercharging is a nice piece of rodding in my opinion. Yes ps was pretty rough but rear quarter , roof, bonnet, all easy repairs. In today's society good auto body repairers are a dying breed where they would rather replace than repair. I reckon pending no motor issues it could be back on the road for 50k max

10. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Meant to say re the oil level the car needs to be run and warm to check the oil correctly! There was no major damage around the rear underside of the car just some scuffs and a couple of cracks on the underbody aero so I'd be guessing the motor is fine.

11. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    Pure gambling buying that car. I assume it was a repairable write off as well?

Might as well put it on black at roulette

13. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    JDM in Adelaide have a motor for that car.

14. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    I hear what ur saying! For some one to purchase and then pay to have it repaired probably not worth it but I suspect it's been purchased by someone who has the necessary skill to fix themselves. I honestly believe in my opinion it was well worth $100,000 but backed away when it went above $105,000. Probably for the best as the wife would have stabbed me if I had landed home with! I only went up to try and buy a lightly damaged slk 350 for her!! Was ridicously outbid on it and the bloke who bought it paid 7 k too much!!

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you have the skills to repair it yourself the maths is a bit different if you don't put any value on your time; but it's still not worth $100k.
    Assuming the project made it to completion (few of these do in my experience) you would have an unsaleable car. Not many buyers out there for a repaired stat write off that can never be registered.
    Having owned and played around extensively with a Scuderia myself, I agree the parts can be extremely expensive. Today the wholesale value of an average Scuderia with no stories is circa $250k, so what is the value of this one at completion given the history and the fact that it can't be registered?
    I would say $150k in todays dollars IF you could find a buyer. IMHO it would be pretty much saleproof. So if you paid $100k you would have $50k to repair the thing which is completely impossible, even with free labour.

I've seen this happen over and over and over. The guy who buys it does a few reapirs before he realises that he is in way over his head. Then he sells it on for a loss to the next guy who thinks he can make a killing. Repeat infinitum.....

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dunno what was spent on supercharging it; but the kit goes for $75k from memory. Hard to see the finished product costing twice the parts; but who knows.

My mail said new shell required and not just structural extremities. Didn't eyeball it myself, so who knows. Wouldn't take the risk myself.

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Genuine Scud motor or plain Jane 430? The Scuderia motor has lots of external and internal differences.

18. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think he means a motor for the 355

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oops.

20. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    There's a panel beater in Horsham who could fix that.......

21. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I priced it up at about $200-$250K to put it right. In other words, about $300K to $360K from being a $150K car when it's done! And it's two years out of your life.

Good luck to the buyer, you'll need it! Seen this sooooooooooooooo many times before. There's a very good reason why insurance companies put these broken cars into Auctions rather than fix them themselves for a profit, isn't there?

22. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    There's absouloutley no problem getting it registered if repaired properly !

23. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Carl I really don,t understand how you get 200k and 2 years two repair! Back in the uk I used to reshell Porsche bmw etc and could knock one over in 40hours. On the 430 I reckoned 100 to 150 hours max! Ok if you where paying someone not worth it but someone motivated with the skills no problem. When I got my car from the uk I was Quoted 12k for a paint job ! Did it myself took 1 week and $1400. DKilka has seen it in the flesh and I'm sure he would verify its spot on! I had one bloke tell me it took him 7 years building a hot rod and me thinks he spent more time drinkin piss than actually working. When I was painting trucks I could strip a prime mover for paint in 8 hours. I'm on my I pad at the mo but I must put up the airbrush tribute I did to Schuey and Ferrari when they won the world title for the fifth time. It quite impressive and normally stops traffic dead!

24. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Steve, a friend priced up the parts out of the USA (New parts) and came to $125K to $150K in parts alone, the rest in the panel shop. If you can fix it, and fix it well for less, you go for it! I can't!

I certainly can't re-shell any Porsche in 40 hours. I might be able to solder together a new loom for a 356 in 40 hours. Might...

25. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    #25 Steve Harkness, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017