Looking for a Tasman poster | FerrariChat

Looking for a Tasman poster

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jack-the-lad, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm looking for a poster for the 1970 Tasman race at Warwick Farm. I know it's a bit of a long-shot, but I'm hoping someone in the forum might be able to help.

Many thanks.

Jack

2. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    #2 jmillard308, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I was there on that day

4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    John,

To be honest I don't remember what the poster looks like, but what you have posted looks like the race program, which I have a copy of.

Thanks.

Jack

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    John, I was there as well. I was serving in Vietnam at the time, and arranged my "rest and recuperation" ("R&R") to be able to attend the race. I went to the AARC office and they graciously accommodated me with entry tickets, even a pit pass, as well as a program and a car badge, both of which I still have.

I'm trying to complete my collection of posters from races I've attended around the world.

All assistance is appreciated.

Cheers!

Jack.

6. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Ferrarichat is not the place I would be looking.
    Try members on 'the Nostalgia Forum' or 'theroaringseason'. There's plenty of people there with connections.
    Also, you may try facebook. 'Tasman racing cars' has a page , as well as other Australian historic racing clubs.
    Worth a punt.....

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for the thought. I did post on TNF a few years ago, but will do so again. There are a few poster vendors in North America that I have tried. Are the any dealers of collectibles in Australia who specialize in race posters?

Jack

8. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    I wonder if there were posters - digging around on fleabay, there seems to be plenty of Warwick Farm programmes about, but not a single poster that I can find.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You make a good point. I don't know about Australia, but during that era in Europe and the US, there were smaller posters than what we think of today, that were placed in shop windows, on utility poles, etc.

10. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    A bit more scratching around seems to show that some posters did exist - wizardcarbrochures have a '69 version, and I found a reference to an earlier one auctioned by Bonhams in the UK -for 300 quid! If you can track down the archives of the AARC (national library?) you might find something.

Warwick Farm was my local circuit - my highschool was within earshot (and Moretti, IIRC), so disappearing from science prac on Friday afternoons to watch practice often happened. It was a bit tricky, because some of the teachers did the same.

On one occasion, a mate and I were quietly taken aside by Geoff Sykes - "that gentleman over there suggests you and your mate remove your school blazers and ties pronto" - pointing to the gentleman, who happened to be the MG driving science master....

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Dave.

Great story, there.

Thank you for the tip on Wizard Car Brochures. I have sent them a message, so perhaps something will turn up.

Best,

Jack