Safety issues with OHOS, especially brakes. | FerrariChat

Safety issues with OHOS, especially brakes.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by carl888, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #1 carl888, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a confirmed masochist I love driving OHOS, but sometimes you have to wonder why you bother. Here's an interesting brake failure in a 1974 280 SE W116.

A fairly hard stop from about 30 km/h. Pedal goes almost to the floor, rear wheels lock almost immediately, fronts ineffective from then on!

What happened was the bore in the caliper just proud of the seal recess broke off. The result being the broken metal and the seal was blown out of the caliper and retained by the dust boot.

Brake fluid had been changed annually from purchase in 2007 but before then, I suspect the work performed didn't exactly correspond to what appeared on the invoice.

Last image shows the piston and evidence of corrosion sitting proud of the surface. I suspect it had just corroded to the bore and I'd just been pottering around and not noticed until a panic stop.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #2 carl888, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Why are you wearing condoms on your fingers ?

:p

4. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I've had two other "Near death' experiences on the street with old cars (Apart from self inflicted episodes such as hitting a tree):

1. 1976 308 GTB.
    Lower front suspension failure in about 1997. Hadn't had the car long and decided I'll put some sticky tyres on it and fang it round the local roads. A suspension bush had been welded incorrectly and pulled right out of the arm, breaking it in the process on a fast right hand corner in Alexandra Avenue, South Yarra. Very scary, the result of which was removing the entire suspension and finding it was assembled very poorly.

2. 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300 TD.
    Back in the days when it wasn't that old, around 1986 or so. The dealer had removed the steering box to replace a seal, but had forgotton to tighten the pitman arm nut. The nut slowly worked loose and the pitman arm walked its way down the spline behind the nut. It manifested itself by having very imprecise steering! I was about 3 kms from home, drove it back very slowly and the next morning found the nut only 1/2 a turn from falling off. That day I went and bought myself what was the beginning of a decent tool kit and it's been downhill ever since!

Anyone else with tales of woe to share?

5. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Never know what you might catch in the factory!

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You always talk funny just after you've blown a seal.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It's ice cream, I swear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Good to know you got the bearings! How long till the OHOS is out of the way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    On a similar note.

Did you hear about the bloke that had five dicks?

His underpants fit like a glove. :D

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    1979, had been to Sydney in my FIAT124 sport, had new tyres put on at Bob Janes in Liverpool, had an alignment done by them .

Drove back to QLD , driving to Ipswich from Brissy had to slam the brakes on near the Goodna pub with the revolving sign (some old buggers here will remember it) and a LARGE open water channel next to the road .... left front suspension breaks and car veers towards the channel that is about 2-3 metres deep.

Get the car flat topped home, pull the suspension apart and find the thread had been cross threaded and it was a waiting time bomb.

Inspection of the rest of the suspension found one other cross threaded bolt.

Called Bob Janes and they said it wasn't them !!!

I had my first wife and 2 year old daughter in the car so I was fairly livid.

With the laws today and more money to fight these things they would have been in deep trouble as it could just as easily been the right-hand suspension that broke and then it would have swerved into oncoming traffic

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Can see that corrosion there. From many years of neglect no doubt!

It could have ended worse and I am glad to see you are fixing the issue straight away.

12. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Indeed I fixed it. I did the only logical thing and sold it to Moretti.

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Smart man! ;)